What would you do?

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently compiled a list of possible locations to MD. I did my research and found the appropriate people to contact for each site. Surprisingly (to myself anyway) I was granted unrestricted access to about 75% of my list. I have to wait to here back from 2 locations as their office employees are not in on a regular basis. I have one location I am not quite sure about and this is where my question comes in. I was told at one location that it was O.K. due to not having any ordinance on the books prohibiting it. The problem is, during the conversation the manager stated that it is a non profit area owned by the taxpayers and that the neighbors keep a pretty close eye on it. I explained the MD code of ethics and that I follow it religiously hence the reason I was asking permission rather than just doing it because there was no signs stating it was prohibited. The manager said it would be ok just use your discression. I asked specifically if there are any areas off limits or certain times that were off limits and he said during park hours is all that he asks. Now, he did say that the neighbors keep a close eye on the place for innappropriate activity and that if they received a complaint they would do their best to locate me and ask me to leave. Does this sound like a place to simply avoid or should I give it a shot? I know there is a large potential for coins due to several 2-3 day events hosted here every year.

Upvote 0

steffenb70

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2012
Lolland
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS, Eric Foster Beachunter PI, Garrett GTI1500 Others
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yeah - You should go there.

If you are approached by the neighbours, then simply tell them the truth - You are there for rekreational purposes, relaxing after a hard day at the office (or whatever you do for a living)

Make it clear for them, that this is your hobby, and you should be fine.

HH.

/steffen

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes by all means go detecting
if you see someone watching just wave if they approach you take the time to talk with them
ask how old their house is
you could also carry a second detector in case they have a young child with them and offer to teach the child how to detect

GoGoGopher

Jun 24, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac - 11" Pro, 6" EQ2 coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would hit it until I got kicked out....If approached, give the name of the guy who gave you permission...Show them that you are not doing damage to the park, and show them all the trash you clean up and dispose of. And OH!!! Holster your weapons "diggers, probes, etc." Bad to talk to strangers with what looks like a weapon in your hand.

HH,

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
GarrettJL, you say:

" .... the MD code of ethics and that I follow it religiously hence the reason I was asking permission rather than just doing it because there was no signs stating it was prohibited ....
."

What version of the "code of ethics" are you reading from? Do you have a link to that version? Because I have never seen a version saying that you must ask permission, except for private land, of course. All the versions I've seen, when it comes to public land, say something to the effect of: "know and obey all laws". That is much different, as you will note, from "asking permission". Or to the extent some version may say "ask" (even on public land), I believe it's in the context of: asking if there are any restrictions (ie.: actual written rules prohibiting). Not "ask if you can" (which simply leaves it up to the whims of the mood of the person you're asking).

But if I'm wrong, and there's a version of the code of ethics you are looking at, which says we must all ask to go detecting (even in places where no such restriction or rules exists), I ask that you please give the link (or scan and post). Because ..... I suspect you are mis-reading it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why is it that every time i see your username I kind of expect this type of answer? Answer that for me..... I have read many posts that you reply to and you always seem to come off as someone that puts themself on a pedastal. Oh and by the way, It's called RESPECT. Look it up.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

why is it that every time i see your username I kind of expect this type of answer? Answer that for me..... I have read many posts that you reply to and you always seem to come off as someone that puts themself on a pedastal. Oh and by the way, It's called RESPECT. Look it up.

Yup, I respect the laws. Just as you say. I look them up and follow them. If they don't say "no metal detecting" then .... they don't say "no metal detecting". That's about as respectful as one can get.

Or put it this way: if the speed limit is 55 mph, then do you inquire as to the highway patrol as to whether you can go 55 or not? No. Of course not. You've seen the rules (looked them up for yourself) and thus follow them. So what's disrespectful about that? :icon_scratch:

Oh, and did you find the version of the code-of-ethics you alluded to?

OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not own the land therefore I ask permission from the person qualified to give it.It's that simple. It is not listed as a public area. It is listed as an association which would be assumed to be private. If I drive down the road and see a field with an old cellar hole and no signs saying no metal detecting does it mean I can go about my business simply because it's not posted? I do not bend policies or read between lines to sway things my way. Just because there is no sign that says "no metal detecting" does not automatically mean it's allowed.There are plenty of power tripping police around here that would be more than happy to demonstrate that. I don't feel like wasting hard earned money for an attorney to argue that when someone calls the police and I get charged with willfull destruction of property. It happens all the time around. Not with MDing in particular. I was recently told by a uniformed officer to cover up my firearm while in a gunshop. In PA open carry is legal. In 2010 the police had a mandatory update training to inform that it is Legal and that it is there job to enforce the law not their own personal beliefs. Know what his reply was when asked if he knew it was legal and if he had this training? "I don't care I don't believe in that and I don't like it!" That is how they operate around here. Not trying to argue with you. Just stating that depending where you are it may not be the best choice of action unless you have a nice nest egg for legal fees.

OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, maybe you were misled by my comment about explaining the MD code of ethics. I did not refer to anything such as a code of ethics when speaking to the manager. What I should have typed was, that I explained to him that I close all plugs, remove all trash, stay away from prohibited areas,yada yada.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrettJL, it sounded like a "public" place to me, when you said:

"....... not having any ordinance on the books prohibiting it " ["ordinance" implying land subject to public law] and "....... owned by the taxpayers ".

Thus making it sound like public land you thought the code of ethics required you to ask permission for, even in the absence of any rule forbidding you. Just going by the text of what you said, but if I misunderstood (and it was private land), sorry 'bout that.

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go see him in person or have him mail you a hand written letter granting you permission to hunt....

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go For it It's a public places tell the noise people to get a life

OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kyrock- It was face to face.
T0m- It was my poor way of wording it that threw you off. My bad. At first glance it appears to be private property. In the beginning of my conversation with the manager I still believed it WAS private land until the whole "non profit owned by taxpayers" statement came out of his mouth. My family has ties to one of the events they hold there. My grandfather was one of the founders of this event but, unfortunately he is no longer with us. My remaining family really had no idea as to whether or not it was public or private. The other places I gained permission to hunt are all private homesteads from the late 1800's to early 1900's. My grandparents were very well known around my area so many of the people I needed to contact remember me when I was "Knee high to a Grasshopper" as they say. My family has owned ALOT of land around my township since the early 1800's. Much of it was handed down through generations and most has been sold off in the last 60-70 years. I can proudly say that 7 years ago, my wife and I were able to purchase my grandparents home which itself has some history within the land its built on.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forget......other than rhetorical, was there a question here somewhere?

OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forget......other than rhetorical, was there a question here somewhere?

And your reply is beneficial how? Nothing better to do? You may now see your way to someone elses post

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a very small playground near me that was once a ballpark back in the early 1900's. In the last couple of years the townspeople have lobbied and recieved almost a million dollars to build a new playground.

They watch it like a hawk. It's a public park, paid for with tax payer money...but anyone detecting there would surely get grief from anyone spotting you there and surely the cops would be called. They call the cops on anyone in there that even looks like they may be doing soething wrong. They are so paranoid they had security cameras installed.
There are not any "no detecting" signs but frankly, I just wouldn't want the fighting over it. But that's me. Lot's of other places to detect.

Al

OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepskyal- That is pretty much the same situation with this site. The place is not clearly marked as a public place which is why I asked permission. This I should have mentioned in my original post which is probably why I seemed kinda harsh in some of my previous replies to some of the responses. I have since found out that the area is actually 3 seperate "entities" in one location that kind of run together. One of the areas is actually a members only type place and off limits. There are no really visible boundaries between these areas. Most of this place is public area but not clearly marked as such. I went over the other day and just walked around for awhile with no detector or anything in hand. I could see some of the people who live across the street watching me like a hawk. At one point along the path their view is blocked by trees. One of these people actually walked across the street and stood on the sidewalk where he could see me and just stared as I walked down the macadam path. I took a different path that goes deeper into the "park" and spotted him again, standing at a distance, arms crossed, just staring at me. I turned around and headed back towards the parking area once I had hit the end of the path. Once i got back to the area he could see from his home he walked back across the street and stood on his front porch clearly watching me the whole time. I have crossed this place off the list as I do not need the hassle or aggravation of some nosey neighbor actingly like it is their personal property. As you said, lots of other places to detect.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And your reply is beneficial how? Nothing better to do? You may now see your way to someone elses post
No sense of humor huh...sorry this reply wasnt beneficial to your post either...Ill try harder next time...give me a chance, please dont send me to someone elses post. :laughing7:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

tw.jpg

OP
OP
G

garrettJL

Jul 19, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2,Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gleaner1- I'm sorry you were FORCED to read the thread......I wasn't born with all knowing metal detecting instincts. I guess in the metal detecting world there ARE stupid questions. Way to welcome new members to a hobby you are all SUPPOSEDLY trying to promote and protect. It's no wonder that people not involved in the hobby often have little respect. :notworthy:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions