fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Retired: Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro -------
Active: White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pulled this out at about 6", all the ends of the "star" were bent inward. I was able to carefully bend them back out, clean and polish it up and find a hallmark/stamp that reads West Germany. It is not magnetic...so possibly aluminum? Which would be strange because there's absolutely no blemish or flaking on it...especially buried in the ground...and who would stamp a hallmark into aluminum? Just a bit confuzzled...??? ???

I've done my share of searching...can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

WG.jpg

Upvote 0

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im really not sure but you may have bent it out of shape..it looks to me like an oil lamp top the rectangular hole being for the wick...but that doesnt explain the holes so im lost on this thing too

OP
OP
fuzymunky

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well poo, I didn't even think of that. Makes complete sense too now that I look at it. Why would it say West on the top of the slot, and Germany on the bottom? And what would the slot be for? So many questions!! :p

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If for an oil lamp, the holes are vents for air to get into the combustion chamber creating a upward draft.
Also Aluminum doesn't generally corrode in the earth unless there is iron or another dissimilar metal nearby to allow for galvanic reaction although some chemicals also react with it.
Many times I've pulled aluminum out of the ground in great shape.

If it is from a lamp it doesn't look like it was meant to be used except for display purpose. I'm not completely sold on the lamp idea but its a good guess.
The "whats it" forum is a great place to get an ID, those guys simply amaze me.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey willy it seems you have a special searcher... Congratulations on the Id

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! that is all i have to say very impressed with Willie d!

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am always amazed here by the members abilities to ID things!

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wouldnt have thought that lol I thought it was bigger:occasion14:

coryide123

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
lansing mi
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer prospector and in two months an ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no you should have left them bent in!! it is for an old oil lamp!!!

OP
OP
fuzymunky

fuzymunky

Jul 11, 2012
CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
coryide123 said:
no you should have left them bent in!! it is for an old oil lamp!!!

They were bent completely over themselves, so either way they were not in their proper position.

As pointed out earlier in this thread (thank you again), its the top to a Christmas ornament. Link was provided.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a freakin' mind reader, holy COW! Thanks a bunch willie!
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Willie just a question (that most of us are thinking) how the heck did you come up with the answer??? I mean it looks almost as magic...

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magic, huh? Well, I don't know about that. :laughing7:

I will admit that without a size reference, it did present a challenge. I could've very well been wrong. I don't know much about them, but the oil lamp ID seemed totally feasible to me.

So, you want the magician to reveal his secret? LOL

It's not that big of a deal. The great thing about this forum is the broad spectrum of backgrounds and skill sets. You find something that you've never seen before, but someone on here may see it on a daily basis.

Alright, here goes: I am primarily a beach hunter, but in the winter (as Florida winters go) when the beach traffic drops off a bit I hunt parks for a month or two. This is usually Jan-Feb. In a few of these parks I have found similar items, no doubt made in China. I've found a handful of them over the years. I never knew what they were, at least up until about a year ago.

So, my wife decides that we need to replace our Christmas ornaments. While looking for new ornaments, what do I see? Yep, the mystery piece all over the place.

So all I did was type in "Christmas ornament West Germany" into the search engine and voila!

There ya go. I guess some of the parks I hunt have Christmas in the park with all the decorations and such.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions