Metal Detector Advice

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

New member here and I need help in purchasing my first detector. I would like to have a detector that has the following features.....

land and well as fresh and salt water, not necessarily a completely submergeable model, but something where the detecting element can be submerged a few feet under the water

relatively sophisticated computer such that I won't be digging up tin cans or aluminum cans

something that can operate a couple feet deep under the water

Under $1,000

It's something that I have always wanted to do and believe it or not my wife and kids have taken an interest, so anyone that can offer me some advice on what make and model I should be looking for please let me know.

Thanks,
Av8Joker

Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Well I'm glad you asked. That's a good question.

Last edited:

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am relatively new to detecting, and have the Garrett Ace 350, and AT Pro. Both are very easy on the learning curve, and with the DD coil, both do a great job at discrimination. The AT pro is all- terrain: meaning land and water- you can get one for under $600. While the AT does have impressive Pro-Modes, and number read out to gain a target's conductivity (TID/ VDI), it does not have a "computer" screen. Learning the different tones in Pro-Mode has helped me dig ALOT less trash. My suggestion... Go to You Tube and watch the abundance of AT pro video's. Good luck.
p.s. You also have to get a pin-pointer.... It really helps!
BC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What your describing does not exist, closest to it is Minelabs 3030 but it's cost is twice your budget. Know this, most detector coils are waterproof so you can hunt shallow water, but one bad step or one slip and you own a $1000 paperweight, especially if your in salt water if you do not own a waterproof detector.

Your also dreaming if you think you can buy a detector that will allow you to only dig precious metals. Gold rings are mixed with other base metals and detecting is based on the conductivity of metal and aluminum is a very good conductor.

OP
OP
A

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. One of your esteemed members suggested a Garrett AT Pro....any thoughts on that ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input. One of your esteemed members suggested a Garrett AT Pro....any thoughts on that ?

Great on land and in shallow fresh water. Not good in wet saltwater sand or saltwater, but can be "dumbed down" (lower your sensitivity and cut your depth in half) in saltwater so it doesn't false too much. You can get TWO machines for $1,000.00 - a great VLF and a waterproof PI. For instance, a Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. , and a Tesoro Sand Shark Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. .

OP
OP
A

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. Is the Tesoro completely waterproof ? Also, neither you mentioned seems to have a visual output. Do you find that to be troublesome ?
Thanks,

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not own an AT Pro but hear great things about them. Just sticking my nose in to let you know that you will dig trash with any detector and lots of it. As a matter of fact you need to dig every signal you hear until you start getting an idea of target sound. The discriminator will get you around a large percentage but not all of it. Lots of times iron will give kind of a grunt when you pass just the front of the coil near the target and so on. Trying to describe it is like telling someone what chocolate taste like that has never tried it. You just can't do it. With some practice you will learn that a faint, smooth, repeatable sound will get you smiling in a hurry. Some things you dig will sound very similar to trash if they are at the max depth of the machine. Todays detectors are great about getting you thru most of the junk but iron and aluminum are still gonna fool the best out there some:icon_thumleft: of the time.

OP
OP
A

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TN Guns. I am expecting a learning curve for sure. I am not quitting my day job to do this, I'm just exploring a way to have some fun with the family. We travel a lot and we could do this almost anywhere. There are only so many museums and art galleries you can visit and we don't care for amusement parks. I really appreciate the input.

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I'm pretty new to detecting myself, but I think that I agree with TerrySolomon, with $1000 I would get a tesoro cibola(or vaquero), and a tesoro tiger shark.... I personally would want a tiger shark if I really got into fresh water detecting....just not yet for me. I have a tesoro, and I don't mind not having a screen, but I never had one, so I can only give a one-sided opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread