Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Av8Joker

Aug 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Metal Detector Advice

Hi All,

New member here and I need help in purchasing my first detector. I would like to have a detector that has the following features.....

land and well as fresh and salt water, not necessarily a completely submergeable model, but something where the detecting element can be submerged a few feet under the water

relatively sophisticated computer such that I won't be digging up tin cans or aluminum cans

something that can operate a couple feet deep under the water

Under $1,000

It's something that I have always wanted to do and believe it or not my wife and kids have taken an interest, so anyone that can offer me some advice on what make and model I should be looking for please let me know.

Thanks,
    Av8Joker

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Well I'm glad you asked. That's a good question.
    Last edited by ticm; Aug 06, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

us
    BC

Jun 2012
    WNC/ETN/SW VA
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    7 times
    I am relatively new to detecting, and have the Garrett Ace 350, and AT Pro. Both are very easy on the learning curve, and with the DD coil, both do a great job at discrimination. The AT pro is all- terrain: meaning land and water- you can get one for under $600. While the AT does have impressive Pro-Modes, and number read out to gain a target's conductivity (TID/ VDI), it does not have a "computer" screen. Learning the different tones in Pro-Mode has helped me dig ALOT less trash. My suggestion... Go to You Tube and watch the abundance of AT pro video's. Good luck.
    p.s. You also have to get a pin-pointer.... It really helps!
    BC

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8897 times
    What your describing does not exist, closest to it is Minelabs 3030 but it's cost is twice your budget. Know this, most detector coils are waterproof so you can hunt shallow water, but one bad step or one slip and you own a $1000 paperweight, especially if your in salt water if you do not own a waterproof detector.

Your also dreaming if you think you can buy a detector that will allow you to only dig precious metals. Gold rings are mixed with other base metals and detecting is based on the conductivity of metal and aluminum is a very good conductor.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Av8Joker

Aug 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    2 times
    Thanks for the input. One of your esteemed members suggested a Garrett AT Pro....any thoughts on that ?

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3255 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8joker View Post
    Thanks for the input. One of your esteemed members suggested a Garrett AT Pro....any thoughts on that ?
    Great on land and in shallow fresh water. Not good in wet saltwater sand or saltwater, but can be "dumbed down" (lower your sensitivity and cut your depth in half) in saltwater so it doesn't false too much. You can get TWO machines for $1,000.00 - a great VLF and a waterproof PI. For instance, a Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. , and a Tesoro Sand Shark Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. .

us
    Av8Joker

Aug 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    2 times
    Thanks Terry. Is the Tesoro completely waterproof ? Also, neither you mentioned seems to have a visual output. Do you find that to be troublesome ?
    Thanks,

us
    Av8Joker

Aug 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    2 times
    Thank you very much !

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1075 times
    I do not own an AT Pro but hear great things about them. Just sticking my nose in to let you know that you will dig trash with any detector and lots of it. As a matter of fact you need to dig every signal you hear until you start getting an idea of target sound. The discriminator will get you around a large percentage but not all of it. Lots of times iron will give kind of a grunt when you pass just the front of the coil near the target and so on. Trying to describe it is like telling someone what chocolate taste like that has never tried it. You just can't do it. With some practice you will learn that a faint, smooth, repeatable sound will get you smiling in a hurry. Some things you dig will sound very similar to trash if they are at the max depth of the machine. Todays detectors are great about getting you thru most of the junk but iron and aluminum are still gonna fool the best out there some of the time.

us
    Av8Joker

Aug 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    2 times
    Thanks TN Guns. I am expecting a learning curve for sure. I am not quitting my day job to do this, I'm just exploring a way to have some fun with the family. We travel a lot and we could do this almost anywhere. There are only so many museums and art galleries you can visit and we don't care for amusement parks. I really appreciate the input.

us
    May 2012
    harrisburg, pa
    garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
    17 times
    I'm pretty new to detecting myself, but I think that I agree with TerrySolomon, with $1000 I would get a tesoro cibola(or vaquero), and a tesoro tiger shark.... I personally would want a tiger shark if I really got into fresh water detecting....just not yet for me. I have a tesoro, and I don't mind not having a screen, but I never had one, so I can only give a one-sided opinion.

Sponsors