New to MD and Cool Find already

jay28

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am very new to metal detecting and was playing with my brothers Ace 150 and found these in my back yard, you may have seen it in my other post at Today's Finds thread.
Since my birthday is in about a month I am looking to get a MD. Question, is there a big difference from the Ace 150 to the ACE 250. Or should i go with something entirely different. My budget range is in the $200s

661014d1344209581-found-my-backyard-image-2582219584.jpg 661015d1344209587-found-my-backyard-image-379727947.jpg

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a Tesoro Compadre for around $160. I love mine, find lots of stuff and it is made in USA with a LIFETIME warrenty.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get a Tesoro Compadre for around $160. I love mine, find lots of stuff and it is made in USA with a LIFETIME warrenty.

X2 for sure!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to echo steve on this one! Compadre is a great machine for $160. Fairly deep and at 12khz excels at small gold jewelry!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Question is ... do you care to have a screen or not?
If you don't than the compadre is for you , if you want a screen than the Ace 250 or Fisher F2 are good options.

OP
OP
jay28

jay28

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I am pretty new I was thinking that a screen would be easier to use

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I don't think it gets any easier than with the compadre. But if you want a screen I already posted 2 options that are very good and will make you quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screens sound like they make things easier but are really just the opposite for me. I had a garrett and it drove me crazy! You can discriminate with the Compadre if you want but digging everything ensures that you get the great stuff. My first gold ring was found with the Compadre in a park where it was obvious that someone had detected before me and discriminated out nickles, poptops. I found 10 nickles, 1 dime, 1 quarter, lots of pop tops, and a GOLD ring. Get a Compadre, set discrimination just above iron and dig everything else. You will love it and NOBODY has as good of a warrenty.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay, Where are you located? I'm near Martinsville VA and would be glad to let you try out my Compadre if you are close. If you are not, post your location and there is probably some people on this site that live nearby who could help you out. steve

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jay, Just to give you an idea, I had a Fisher F2 and now I have a compadre and I would never go back to the F2! I thought the F2 was great until I got the compadre. The compadre BLOWS IT AWAY on gold and smaller items. I've tested it on some gold flakes and tiny lead shot and get good signals I would definitely dig. In fact I dropped a .177 caliber lead pellet ON the ground, I was looking right at it!! The F2 never even saw it! The compadre finds pellets (and even bird shot) IN the ground. No brainer in my opinion. It could pay for itself MUCH quicker than the F2 with the screen that just lies to you. DJ, I hope you are listening (hint)! Lol!

mccloud39

Jul 21, 2012
League City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250-
Garrett Pro Pointer-
Razor Edge Gator Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely go with the Garrett ace 250, your brother already has the 150 and it seems like you like it and there is definitely a difference between the two. Ace 250 is a great first MD!

OP
OP
jay28

jay28

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay, Where are you located? I'm near Martinsville VA and would be glad to let you try out my Compadre if you are close. If you are not, post your location and there is probably some people on this site that live nearby who could help you out. steve

Thanks for the offer but I am in MA,

At this point I am watching some Youtube videos on both the Compadre and Ace 250, I figure though if i go with the Compadre that leave me more money for dig tools and what not

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the offer but I am in MA,

At this point I am watching some Youtube videos on both the Compadre and Ace 250, I figure though if i go with the Compadre that leave me more money for dig tools and what not
You will NOT be disappointed with the Compadre. It looks simple but don't be fooled, it is one hell of a performer. Like you said, you'll have money left over to buy a nice Lesche digger (I still need one, lol) and a finds pouch! Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
jay28

jay28

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more question can either of these go a few inches of water? I will be doing some beach hunting too.

mccloud39

Jul 21, 2012
League City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250-
Garrett Pro Pointer-
Razor Edge Gator Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 250 can buy is not useful in the water as well as the compadre, ace 250 will last longer and make life much easier for you with the LCD screen

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my compadre in fresh water lakes with great success. Just don't get the box wet. I actually put a zip lock bag around the box and sealed with duct tape to protect it from splashes or any accidental drops. You can also get a rain cover for about $15 on ebay so you can detect in the rain.steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't comment on which will last longer but the Tesoro has a lifetime warrenty. Garrett does not. steve

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't comment on which will last longer but the Tesoro has a lifetime warrenty. Garrett does not. steve
Thats the great thing about tesoro. You will be out of luck if the Ace 250 breaks down in a couple years. Try to google Compadre versus Ace 250, I'm sure the Compadre will smoke the Ace just as it does the Fisher F2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions