Attire for Beach Hunting

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Searched but can't seem to find any info on what to wear for beach hunting (Long Island Atlantic coast), now and during the fall. I will be hunting in the early AM (5AM-9AM now and later after Labor Day) In particular, are water shoes necessary now? A wader for the fall when the water gets colder or are knee high waterproof boots OK? Any other clothing advice?

Another question: I have an RTG Pro Alum 6" scoop. I would like to attach a tether to it. Can I drill the handle or is there a better way?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cudamark said:
Have you seen what some people will wear to the beach? I'd just as soon have them ask here than decide for themselves and look like a goof.

LOL

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Hang in there. I just bought some mares dive boots and they work pretty good. They don't fill up with sand like my tennis shoes did. If you don't wear shoes of some kind your feet will get sore from stepping on your scoop. Just wear what's comfortable and protect yourself from the sun. Don't forget to hydrate. I have overheated twice from being a dumba** and not taking water with me. Don't worry about the jokers. I have found that the forum members are generally very helpful. I have asked similar newbie questions. Just search the forum and you'll find lots of good info.

Post your first gold find and include a picture of your wardrobe. Good luck and I hope you hit the mother load.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A camelbac is a great investment, I wear one hunting, I have clips on it to attach my harness for my detector and d-clips for a small tube of sun screen and couple more clips for anything else I want to hang on it.......

I bought the bladder that has built in ice gel, freeze it, freeze small bottles of water and put one in when I'm going hunting and then my water, it stays gold for hours...... The combination of that and the frozen ice means I have cold water all day...

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i wear is water sandals shorts and a t shirt.................And a ball cap the reason for the ball cap ...I am bald......But all i hunt is fresh water........

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Treasure_Hunter said:
A camelbac is a great investment, I wear one hunting, I have clips on it to attach my harness for my detector and d-clips for a small tube of sun screen and couple more clips for anything else I want to hang on it.......

I bought the bladder that has built in ice gel, freeze it, freeze small bottles of water and put one in when I'm going hunting and then my water, it stays gold for hours...... The combination of that and the frozen ice means I have cold water all day...

I have been meaning to get one for woods hunting.

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a pair of scuba boots that would keep the sand and stuff out. I drilled a hole thru my sand scoop handle and put a loop of paracord thru it. Just remember to deburr the ends of the hole to keep it from cutting into the cord.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
In conjunction with a discussion of beach hunting attire (clothing, and foot ware) how about some suggestions concerning equipment belts and methods to carry needed stuff. So many times I've tried to watch the videos of beach/surf hunters to get a glimpse of their home made equipment carriers. Unfortunately their head mounted cameras only occasionally give a peek at their personal rigging. Once in a while a surf hunter will give a quick camera pan of fellow hunters.

I doubt any of the guys consider their belt hanger ideas, and types of vest a secret, but they are more concerned with video recording and sharing the finds with us.

How about a video of personal favorites in the area of equipment belts, cargo packs, belt hooks for sand scoop, etc..?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
What about folks with longer hair. What do you carry a comb or brush. You know how windy it can be. Would a hat be in order.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In conjunction with a discussion of beach hunting attire (clothing, and foot ware) how about some suggestions concerning equipment belts and methods to carry needed stuff. So many times I've tried to watch the videos of beach/surf hunters to get a glimpse of their home made equipment carriers. Unfortunately their head mounted cameras only occasionally give a peek at their personal rigging. Once in a while a surf hunter will give a quick camera pan of fellow hunters.

I doubt any of the guys consider their belt hanger ideas, and types of vest a secret, but they are more concerned with video recording and sharing the finds with us.

How about a video of personal favorites in the area of equipment belts, cargo packs, belt hooks for sand scoop, etc..?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app
In my case, it depends on the time of year. In the winter, (and much of the spring and fall) I use a wet suit. When I do, all I carry with me out in the surf is the detector (hip mounted), the trash/treasure pouch (zipper for the good stuff, velcro for the trash) and the sand scoop which I hold in my hand. If I plan on snorkling, I add that stuff and a dive light (carabinered to the pouch belt) If it's better weather and/or I'm not going more than waist deep, no wet suit, but I'll carry a back pack with moisture sensitive stuff in a zip lock bag. In the pack, I'll carry all kinds of stuff from water to camera to spare batteries, etc....whatever I don't want to have to go back to the car for. I found out early on not to clip your detector or scoop to your body and let them hang there. If you get hit by a wave unexpectively, (and you will) those puppies can smack the **** out of you!

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Surfview. Unfortunately, the way I worded my query left me open to ridicule.....and perhaps rightly so. Anyway, I am now wearing my bathing suit so I can get into the water hip deep and some water shoes with an old t shirt. Works fine. When the water gets colder I'll just have to decide what to do then.......wader or go land hunting. Anyhow, I do appreciate your kind words. To TICM: I apologize if my reply to sounded acerbic. Next time I'll word my questions better.

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
2muchstuff: Thanks for the info on the tether. Like it!

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Moonrover: Excellent idea. Hope it happens.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
LewieMD said:
Thanks Surfview. Unfortunately, the way I worded my query left me open to ridicule.....and perhaps rightly so. Anyway, I am now wearing my bathing suit so I can get into the water hip deep and some water shoes with an old t shirt. Works fine. When the water gets colder I'll just have to decide what to do then.......wader or go land hunting. Anyhow, I do appreciate your kind words. To TICM: I apologize if my reply to sounded acerbic. Next time I'll word my questions better.

Please don't apologize. Killing me with kindness are you? LOL. I sometimes like harsh replies. It keeps me humble.

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
In my case, it depends on the time of year. In the winter, (and much of the spring and fall) I use a wet suit. When I do, all I carry with me out in the surf is the detector (hip mounted), the trash/treasure pouch (zipper for the good stuff, velcro for the trash) and the sand scoop which I hold in my hand. If I plan on snorkling, I add that stuff and a dive light (carabinered to the pouch belt) If it's better weather and/or I'm not going more than waist deep, no wet suit, but I'll carry a back pack with moisture sensitive stuff in a zip lock bag. In the pack, I'll carry all kinds of stuff from water to camera to spare batteries, etc....whatever I don't want to have to go back to the car for. I found out early on not to clip your detector or scoop to your body and let them hang there. If you get hit by a wave unexpectively, (and you will) those puppies can smack the **** out of you!

Thanks Cudamark. Excellent post. Good pointers.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thank ticm for the comic relief. Hit him with a couple of verbal cat-o-nine tails and he'll be good for another week!

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the guy in the latest Southern Comfort commercial has the right idea for beach attire

if you haven't seen the ad, you simply must: http://www.youtube.com/user/southerncomfort?v=ygeWsoYYMuQ

Southern-Comfort-Beach-Boy.png

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cudamark said:
And thank ticm for the comic relief. Hit him with a couple of verbal cat-o-nine tails and he'll be good for another week!

It hurts so good. Now what does ones attire consist of while hunting in the woods.

Last edited:

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
Around my area in summer=snake boots,can of off,dew rag and plenty of water or was you being sarcastic. I never know! Have a great day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread