Attire for Beach Hunting

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark 10.5 coil, RTG Pro 6" scoop.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Searched but can't seem to find any info on what to wear for beach hunting (Long Island Atlantic coast), now and during the fall. I will be hunting in the early AM (5AM-9AM now and later after Labor Day) In particular, are water shoes necessary now? A wader for the fall when the water gets colder or are knee high waterproof boots OK? Any other clothing advice?

Another question: I have an RTG Pro Alum 6" scoop. I would like to attach a tether to it. Can I drill the handle or is there a better way?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
LewieMD said:
Searched but can't seem to find any info on what to wear for beach hunting (Long Island Atlantic coast), now and during the fall. I will be hunting in the early AM (5AM-9AM now and later after Labor Day) In particular, are water shoes necessary now? A wader for the fall when the water gets colder or are knee high waterproof boots OK? Any other clothing advice?

Another question: I have an RTG Pro Alum 6" scoop. I would like to attach a tether to it. Can I drill the handle or is there a better way?

Dude are you serious. LMAO

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clothing at all times unless on a nude beach.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do know that it takes the water temperature a good while to cool down, so the air will be colder than the water :laughing7:

If you're that worried about the cold invest in a wet suit, they're good all year round :tongue3:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! The way your avatar is dressed is fine for the summer (although I wear shoes both in and out of the water) as long as you use plenty of sunscreen. In the cooler months, long pants for dry sand hunting and wetsuit for the water. In real nasty and/or cold weather, I use a full wetsuit even on land. Dive booties work the best for water hunts but old tennis shoes will work in a pinch. Too much sharp stuff and stingrays here locally to go without anything. I haven't found a good pair of water shoes that will stay on your feet in soft sand and keep the sand out. I haven't found waders or rubber boots to be of any use in the surf.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
LewieMD said:

I got a cut on my finger while hunting. Should I clean the wound and put a bandaid on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I got a cut on my finger while hunting. Should I clean the wound and put a bandaid on it.
Dude are you serious. LMAO

I don't know whether I should laugh at my question or become angry at your childish posts. You may LYAO but as one who has never water hunted before I was wondering what affect having my tootsies in the water for 4 hours or so at 77 degrees would have on me. I was also wondering about sharp shells, etc. in the water, hence the question about shoes. And, hunting in the surf might pose problems without boots or a wader, particularly when the water temp falls to the low 60's. As far as the waer scoop question is concerned, I ws dubious about drilling holes in the handle since that would weaken it. So, common sense may or may not apply here but I thought veteran hunters could give me some worthwhile advice. Lastly, I am glad I made you laugh and apologize for my naivete. In hindsight, however, perhaps I should not have asked the questions or joined this forum.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the water shoes I use when water or wet sand hunting. They are pretty light weight and have a sturdy sole for stepping on my scoop. I wear a cotton sock with them so if a little sand gets it it doesn't rub my foot raw. I never notice any sand getting in and they do seal around the ankle pretty well.
NRS ATB Wetshoe at NRSweb.com

OP
OP
LewieMD

LewieMD

Jul 29, 2012
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you Tom. Good suggestion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear what ever your comfortable in, it's not a fashion show.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, in my opinion, the answer is no. I find using the liquid skin to work much better in keeping dirt out of the wound while still allowing flexability.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom, those look like something I should try.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cudamark said:
Actually, in my opinion, the answer is no. I find using the liquid skin to work much better in keeping dirt out of the wound while still allowing flexability.

Thank you I'll check into that.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stings like a ***** though.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes you are a grown man .... And you need us to pick out what is best for you to wear.......???????? Now that's a good one...Like TH said what ever you are comfortable in...:BangHead:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What i have found out is when you get a cut on your finger......... The best thing to do is ...... Cut that finger off ... then you will not have to worry about cutting it again.......:laughing9:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Keppy said:
I better get that GQ... for i am going to hunt a old foundation in the morn .... And i want to find out what i should wear..:occasion14:

LMAO

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on guys, if you are married your wife tells you what to wear. Problem solved. I have kayaking shoes (purchased by wife) that will be great for surf hunting.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread