opinions please...

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been told over the years that's its best to hunt with good moist soil...but the other day I was talking to an older gentleman that said he had been detecting for over thirty years. He was telling me that this dry soil is the best to hunt in. I'm in Illinois and its dry...very..very..very dry here. I heard the other night on the weather we ar now nine inches behind on rainfall for this year.

Anyways....your opinions please. Also if you would state why you believe its better one way more than the other.

And the reason I'm asking this is because I've been doing some hunting lately at the local fair grounds which happen to date back to 1851 and even had a regiment from the civil war train on the grounds. Well....about five years ago I went through with a Garrett GTI 2500 I was using at the time and found nothing but a ton of clad. This time I'm using my Etrac and the results are much better than before.

Any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bosco

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The learning curve on the Etrac just about drove me nuts !! On more than one occasion I wanted to wrap the thing around the tree. Had some good help along the way from a friend that already owned an Etrac and has always used Minelab detectors. Thinking I may have finally figured this thing out.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If a fellow Etrac user's opinion counts for anything, the success you are experiencing is directly attributable to the machine you are using.

Hmmmm....Let's see.....Where to start...No I better not, I'm coming off a two-day suspension from T-net for my other comments....

But you see a guy could have a lot of fun with the Etrac post above

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you created a test bed you can see what is true. Use Presets, or where a set size of nail or foil is just knocked out, so the detector is set exactly the same for each test. Note best depths in drought conditions, normal weather and wet. Most detectors do not like very (bone) dry ground but waterlogged conditions also can have a negative effect. Slightly damp seems best and modern technology doesn't seem to have changed anything. In very dry ground some of the older (pre motion) detectors operating down at the one kHz level seemed to suffer less depth loss in the dry but they were none discriminators which is another factor to consider.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like my machines work better in moist ground.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My deepest coin find was in soggy wet ground with standing water.....just sayin...
Never really paid much attention because I have a tendancy not to detect when it's bone dry ground....unless I'm out in the woods in the middle of nowhere...and I find very few coins..mostly looking for relics that are big anyhow.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions