My can of coins

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hi All,? So I'm sitting in the garage on a rainy day and I get down my coffee can of treasure that I've been accumulating over the last 3 months (about $12.00 in clad and zink). I dump them out on a paper plate, and I'm examining them with my magnifier.?
Im checking dates, stacking them up, making neat little piles.? My wife comes out and sits with me. She looks facinated with what I'm doing. I'm thinking, cool, shes developing an interest in this hobby.
Then she slowly looks around and says, Ya know, you have two Harley Davidson motorcycle's, a Corvette, a motorhome sitting in the drive, tools and things stacked all over the place. And your favorite thing in the whole world is looking at a little pile of dirty coins in an old coffee can! We both had a good laugh!
My question: Should I throw away the corroded zink pennies?

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY ? I have some Zinc pennies you can bairly tell are still pennies. I FOUND 'EM, I KEEP 'EM ?;D I Don't like 'em, BUT STILL KEEP 'em ?;D

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Good answer Jeff! I'm gonna show my wife!

Ahh.. zinc looked a little funny the way I spelled it. :-[

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? ?Ahh..? ? zinc looked a little funny the way I spelled it. :-[
I never took notice till you mentioned it. :D

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Dennis, my advice is, keep your pile of dirty coins. As for the Harley's and the Vette, I think they're just getting in the way of your true love. Send these unwanted items along to C-O-L-O-R-A-D-O-2, PO Box 1111,
Berthoud, CO 80513. ;D

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dunno-- those Harleys can get you into some interesting places where you can find even more zinc pennies! Find a way to strap on your detector so the coil passes over the ground as you ride! :D

Save 'em up... when you have 15 pounds of them you can take them to the mint and they will recycle them.

Or you can melt them with a torch and cast the metal into your own jewelry!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
You're not helping LR. I think I almost had him crating that stuff up for me!

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
LOL.? Sorry CO 2, LR's right. Gotta find a way to utilize everything in my quest for more DIRTY COINS!
Gotta have more!!!! ;D

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Those ate up zinc pennies would make great practice targets for water hunting. Some body could get to enjoy those coins again!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Got a big 'ol tin of the rotted zincs, lawn mower-chipped coins and bent, cut clad. Someday Ill get enough to send them off to the treasury dept and make a few bucks. Hey Labratt, what's the dope on that? Can you exchange bad coinage by the pound or by the numbers?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Aw heck Pete I get much more and I'll be driving the load to the fed myself, it'd be cheaper. I was aware of the % factor in paper currency, not aware of coinage policies.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Sounds like my house sept I have a boat insted of the vette! Enjoy them all in their own time. Cladius.

F

foolserrand

dennis p said:
Hi All,? So I'm sitting in the garage on a rainy day and I get down my coffee can of treasure that I've been accumulating over the last 3 months (about $12.00 in clad and zink). I dump them out on a paper plate, and I'm examining them with my magnifier.?
Im checking dates, stacking them up, making neat little piles.? My wife comes out and sits with me. She looks facinated with what I'm doing. I'm thinking, cool, shes developing an interest in this hobby.
Then she slowly looks around and says, Ya know, you have two Harley Davidson motorcycle's, a Corvette, a motorhome sitting in the drive, tools and things stacked all over the place. And your favorite thing in the? whole world is looking at a little pile of dirty coins in an old coffee can! We both had a good laugh!
My question: Should I throw away the corroded zink pennies?

Dont throw em away! They clean up pretty good.... enough to spend anyway. You know.... I'd rather find a corroded zinc than the average common wheaty.... I hate wheaties. The zincs i can spend, but for some reason I cant bring myself to spend the wheaties or be bothered to attempt to clean them.... Like I said.... I hate wheaties. Some of my most favorite finds are the oddball finds made up of zincs that have been severely worn, bent, or cut into bits by lawnmowers. I have a nice little collection of "coin bits" that I collect just for the heck of it. I also like keeping modern bullets that are dug up during the pursuit of old coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread