worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokin poles are still used today,but,I doubt yours is new,what is the dia? I just LOVE old farm land,especially that has been worked for hundreds of years,find some pretty COOL stuff! God Bless Chris

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really hard to date a musket ball. If is not shiny or metallic looking then it's probably pretty old (1800's or earlier). Most of them have a chalky white patina on them. But, some can be brown or a dull grey. Musket balls were replaced by the minnie ball around the time of the civil war I believe. Do you have a picture and/or measurements of it? Cool find in a median strip.

-Swartzie

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be old could be new. I bougth 5 tackle boxes at a yard sale the other day and there was a pouch of 45 cal balls in one. I used to get them from my dad and use in my slingshot.

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoops! I forgot the picture. I have it next to a standard clad dime for size reference. I'll snag a chart and check the caliber, but here's the picture in the meantime.

580107_3685527023460_1897967352_n.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don't assume its a pistol ball. Could be one of those round fishing weights where the little copper loop part rotted or came off.

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't assume its a pistol ball. Could be one of those round fishing weights where the little copper loop part rotted or came off.

Perhaps, but I lean towards musket ball given that it was quite far from any fishable body of water and that my area is pretty close to some former tribal skirmish sites.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flat spot is where the sprue was cut off after casting, totally correct for a musketball. It also appears to be about the right size to be a musketball.

2muchstuff

Dec 27, 2007
Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a newer musket ball. Older ones will be more pitted and chaulky. Maybe it fell off of a truck or a missed shot during deer season.

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a newer musket ball. Older ones will be more pitted and chaulky. Maybe it fell off of a truck or a missed shot during deer season.

When you say pitted, do you mean general inward deformities? It's also a tad chalky on the side that I didn't show in the picture. I'll post some more pictures when I can snag my camera. Thanks all!

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely has the sprue tip on it. You may be able to see mold seam along the side too. I'd say no doubt a musket ball. But age? I don't know. Do modern balls have sprue tips? I'd look around for more and use less discrimination to try and find some relic type stuff. Cleveland/Great Lakes area has history.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
fordam3

fordam3

Jun 26, 2012
Oxford, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely has the sprue tip on it. You may be able to see mold seam along the side too. I'd say no doubt a musket ball. But age? I don't know. Do modern balls have sprue tips? I'd look around for more and use less discrimination to try and find some relic type stuff. Cleveland/Great Lakes area has history.

-Swartzie

No kidding about its history! I'm sure there's some more goodies underneath my feet here. I see that you use the Tejon. How is it for relic hunting?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No kidding about its history! I'm sure there's some more goodies underneath my feet here. I see that you use the Tejon. How is it for relic hunting?

The Tejon is awesome for relic hunting, but you have to use it in the all metal mode to get the most from it. I'm a little south of you below the akron/canton area and like to hunt along part of the Tuscarawas river for fur trade era stuff. Musket balls can be a good sign that you are close to a site. It took me over a year of hunting and many musket ball finds until I actually found a fur trade site with lots of stuff on it including indian trade silver. So it aint easy. But I like it.

Good Luck.
-Swartzie

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get modern ball with the sprue still on them, I have a bunch for my .50 cal. This ball looks as big as the dime which would put it more in the .68 cal range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread