Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    White's XLT, Bounty Hunter IV
    15 times
    Metal Detecting

musket ball from median strip

Fellow detectors, I seek your knowledge on certain relics. I found a musket ball today on a median strip, and have no idea about its potential age. The find was located about 15 minutes east of Cleveland on what used to be farmland. So my question is how long ago did muskets/this type of ammo go obsolete?

Charter Member
    us
    It's there,you just gotta look for it!

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    2492 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Smokin poles are still used today,but,I doubt yours is new,what is the dia? I just LOVE old farm land,especially that has been worked for hundreds of years,find some pretty COOL stuff! God Bless Chris
    Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?

Man exists to know and acknowledge and live by the Truth.
    His reward is eternal life.His punishment for failing to do
    so is death.

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    41 times
    Relic Hunting
    Really hard to date a musket ball. If is not shiny or metallic looking then it's probably pretty old (1800's or earlier). Most of them have a chalky white patina on them. But, some can be brown or a dull grey. Musket balls were replaced by the minnie ball around the time of the civil war I believe. Do you have a picture and/or measurements of it? Cool find in a median strip.

-Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    356 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Could be old could be new. I bougth 5 tackle boxes at a yard sale the other day and there was a pouch of 45 cal balls in one. I used to get them from my dad and use in my slingshot.

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Whoops! I forgot the picture. I have it next to a standard clad dime for size reference. I'll snag a chart and check the caliber, but here's the picture in the meantime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	580107_3685527023460_1897967352_n.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	662943

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1778 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Don't assume its a pistol ball. Could be one of those round fishing weights where the little copper loop part rotted or came off.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Don't assume its a pistol ball. Could be one of those round fishing weights where the little copper loop part rotted or came off.
    Perhaps, but I lean towards musket ball given that it was quite far from any fishable body of water and that my area is pretty close to some former tribal skirmish sites.

us
    Oct 2010
    Tennessee, CSA
    Fisher 1266X
    42 times
    I see a flat spot on it. That looks like it came that way so I kind of doubt it is a musket ball.

Dec 2006
    100 times
    The flat spot is where the sprue was cut off after casting, totally correct for a musketball. It also appears to be about the right size to be a musketball.

us
    Dec 2007
    Just south of St. Louis, Mo.
    Garrett GTAX 1000
    1 times
    Definitely a newer musket ball. Older ones will be more pitted and chaulky. Maybe it fell off of a truck or a missed shot during deer season.
    If it's not nailed down it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down.

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff View Post
    Definitely a newer musket ball. Older ones will be more pitted and chaulky. Maybe it fell off of a truck or a missed shot during deer season.
    When you say pitted, do you mean general inward deformities? It's also a tad chalky on the side that I didn't show in the picture. I'll post some more pictures when I can snag my camera. Thanks all!

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    41 times
    Relic Hunting
    Definitely has the sprue tip on it. You may be able to see mold seam along the side too. I'd say no doubt a musket ball. But age? I don't know. Do modern balls have sprue tips? I'd look around for more and use less discrimination to try and find some relic type stuff. Cleveland/Great Lakes area has history.

-Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    Youngin'

Jun 2012
    Oxford, OH
    15 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Swartzie View Post
    Definitely has the sprue tip on it. You may be able to see mold seam along the side too. I'd say no doubt a musket ball. But age? I don't know. Do modern balls have sprue tips? I'd look around for more and use less discrimination to try and find some relic type stuff. Cleveland/Great Lakes area has history.

-Swartzie
    No kidding about its history! I'm sure there's some more goodies underneath my feet here. I see that you use the Tejon. How is it for relic hunting?

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    41 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by fordam3 View Post
    No kidding about its history! I'm sure there's some more goodies underneath my feet here. I see that you use the Tejon. How is it for relic hunting?
    The Tejon is awesome for relic hunting, but you have to use it in the all metal mode to get the most from it. I'm a little south of you below the akron/canton area and like to hunt along part of the Tuscarawas river for fur trade era stuff. Musket balls can be a good sign that you are close to a site. It took me over a year of hunting and many musket ball finds until I actually found a fur trade site with lots of stuff on it including indian trade silver. So it aint easy. But I like it.

Good Luck.
    -Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    765 times
    You can get modern ball with the sprue still on them, I have a bunch for my .50 cal. This ball looks as big as the dime which would put it more in the .68 cal range.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Sponsors