Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry Soloman

Thread: Help

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help

I'm totally new to the whole 'Treasure Hunting' world. I want to find a good metal detector, preferably one that is small and waterproof. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of money laying around to spend on any of the really nice ones I see online. Can anyone recommend something relatively inexpensive (yet still good quality) for me? I live on a sailboat, so I don't have much room to spare to store one, but I would love to begin hunting, especially shallow water (10-25ft). I want to go ahead and thank you in advance for your help!

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    There is not one single cheap detector that is waterproof for 25ft. Tesoro makes the sand shark that if not mistaken it's one of the cheapest you could get for what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3372 times
    Metal Detecting
    There are no "cheap" waterproof metal detectors for saltwater use. You can buy a Tesoro Sand Shark Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. for about $600.00, or a Minelab Excalibur II Excalibur II | Minelab Treasure Metal Detectors for around $1,500.00

There are about three more detectors in between the two (Whites Dual Field; Garrett Seahunter)
    Lady Pirate likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1260 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adurna Princess View Post
    I'm totally new to the whole 'Treasure Hunting' world. I want to find a good metal detector, preferably one that is small and waterproof. Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of money laying around to spend on any of the really nice ones I see online. Can anyone recommend something relatively inexpensive (yet still good quality) for me? I live on a sailboat, so I don't have much room to spare to store one, but I would love to begin hunting, especially shallow water (10-25ft). I want to go ahead and thank you in advance for your help!
    In the water, size doesn't matter much (ok, I know I'll get some comments on that!) If you're in a relatively trash free hunting area, a pulse induction unit might work good for you if price is a factor. They're generally a lot cheaper than the ones with discrimination which are a blessing in trashy or nail ridden areas. The best bang for your buck will be in a used machine. You can get a used Excalibur for under $800 and some of the other PI units for half that.

Sponsors