Readings on pennies

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
WayneCountyDetector said:
Just curious to what pennies show up on your detectors?

I am guessing your asking what is displayed on the screen. Of course some detectors don't have screens.

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry, yes. I was wondering what the penny read on your detectors (who have the screens).

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
WayneCountyDetector said:
I'm sorry, yes. I was wondering what the penny read on your detectors (who have the screens).

All detector brands are different. Of course soil condition will effect your display even on the same machine. Then there are different kinds of penny's. Large cent, IH, new clad. Ect; Ect;.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere between dimes and nickels.....does that help? :laughing7: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's like ticm said, it depends on the manufacturer, how long the penny has been in the ground, the type of ground and mineralization, and the type of penny involved. I've had pennies that read as low as the pull tab range, and as high as a silver dime. I haven't found a large cent yet, but, as a rule, starting at the low tone end, The Indians and zincolns I've found read about the same, then wheat cents, then copper memorials which many times read like a clad dime.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's as cudamark said,they will ring in at all ranges,of course so do a lot of other goodies,you'll only learn that by EXPERIENCE my friend! Best of luck to you! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
W

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, I was just wondering because the memorials I have found registered as 1c but sometimes would ring in at the clad dime. I was just making sure this was normal or if my machine was off. They ranged from almost new to crispy.. So I am sure that is why some registered penny and some dime I guess.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies made before 1982 read as a dime because they are copper...the new pennies are mostly zinc and ring up different than the pre 1982. Crusty pennies can give different readings than normal. On my AT PRO copper pennies read 80 and zincs read 76.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't found a penny yet, they are English coins ;-) , but pre 1982 US Cents read "70" and post 1982 US Cents read between "58" and "63", depending how degraded they are. Large Cents read around "81" and Canadian Cents read "73". My one "Fatty" bronze indian head cent read "43" and other IHCs read "60" +/-. These are TID readings from my Fisher F-75.

Last edited:

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Since it looks like you are using an Ace 250, the pre 82 cents will show as a dime, and the newer zinc clad cents show as 1 cent. Indian Heads will show as 1 cent, and I have found silver rings that show as 1 cent.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dig by sound. If you go by the screen you risk missing something good... If you dig it, you won't miss it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions