Upvote 0

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bad idea. If you don't give a crap about the detector go for it. The inside of a car gets a lot hotter than the outside air temperature. Ask those creeps that leave their kids or pets in cars.

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't you take it to the office?? Buy a bag and put it near your desk or something...

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

S

stefen

I was thinking of keeping my Garrett GTI 2500 in my car trunk while I am work so I can hunt on the way home. The problem is I worry about the heat affecting the detector.
The summer temps in the Boston area tend to be in the mid 80's most of the time for the next 2 weeks.

Can anyone help me out with advice about this.

Ask a 5 year old what he'd do!

Last edited:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't, don't, don't...the heat can affect the electronics. Computers hate heat!

Garrett makes a nice suitcase type bag for the GT2500. It's not overly large and would probably fit under your desk at work.

HH,
Anita

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done it hundreds of times in those temps. and never had a failure but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my bounty hunter in the back seat of my sidekick everyday.
I drive for a living so my windows are always down. Never know when you see a spot and have to stop.
Seems to always work fine.
ChrisPlay does not endorse this message...

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t have room in my trunk, cookie baking takes up a lot of room.

The manual for the Garrett’s metal detectors says not to store them in a hot car.

Chocolate chips, anyone?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've put a few in the trunk but not in middle of summer as heat can and does go up to 130*F in your trunk. with the prices of detectors I would NOT risk it. Put it in an unmarked bag in your office.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trunk doesnt get as hot as inside the car.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know how your model is but some people take off the control box and take it in. the color of your car is a major factor, if it is black thats gonna get real hot.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Every one here must think Ben works in a office....... He could work in a factory or in,construction.or drive .. or one of the many jobs that is not office work............. But i have left my detector in my pick up many of times on hot summer days and they ........ Always worked when i took them out to use..... All i can say is leave it in your car... And when you go to use it it will work ...OR ... You will have to send it to Garrett for repair....My self i always take the chance......

Last edited:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a problem leaveing my detector in the trunk, have been doing it for years. When I get home from the beach I wash off my equipment and put it back in the trunk.:icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the trunk here too and no problem. Like lookindown said, the trunks doesn't get that hot, unless you barbecue, or have a running furnace in it.

Ohhh... If for some reason you do have a problem, please notice my disclaimer :laughing9:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When i said i left mine in my pick up .... I left it in the bed of the pick up and it has a lockable fiberglass tonto cover on it....... I guess that if it had no window glass for the sun to shine through it ... Then it would not be as hot as the inside of the car or truck........

n3umw

Greenie
Jul 16, 2006
Germantown MD
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab X70, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read several books that mention heat is dangerous to your detector.
I work for an electronics manufacturer and I'm not sure I believe this.

Some facts;

Recommended maximum operating temperature for most consumer electronics including digital cameras is about 105F and recommended storage is a maximum of 120F.

Cars in the sun on a 100F day, reach 160F with the windows closed. Car trunks are slightly cooler (140F).

Car radios last longer than the cars they are installed within.

LCD displays may not work properly when heated over 50C (122F) until they cool down.

All batteries lose their charge faster when hot, even when not in use.

Extreme heat may soften the potting compound in the detector coil and let the wires in the coil shift affecting the coil's performance.

Plastic can melt at what temperatures? At the low end, PVC (polyvinyl chloride), melts at 212 °C (about 414 °F). Teflon®, which we use to coat cookware, is polytetrafluoroethene - PTFE, and it melts at 327 °C (about 621 °F). Teflon wire does not melt at soldering temperatures.

For alkaline batteries (the most common kind of household battery), putting them in the freezer will extend their shelf life by less than 5%. And cold batteries can't be used immediately -- you have to wait until they've warmed up to room temperature first. If you need those batteries for a flashlight in an emergency, this could prove problematic. When stored at room temperature, alkaline batteries retain 90% of their power, and the average shelf life of alkaline batteries is five to seven years.

For NiMH and Nicad batteries (often used for electronics), storing them in the freezer might be more practical. These kinds of batteries lose their charge after a few weeks when kept at room temperature. But they'll retain a 90% charge for months if you store them in the freezer. Just like alkaline batteries, you'll need to wait until they've warmed up before using them.

But;

Printed circuit (PC) boards and components are heated to 500F to melt the solder used to attach the components.

After the components are attached, epoxy may be added to the completed PC board assembly and is cured at 260F for one hour.

The finished units containing the PC boards are cycled with power applied at 130F for 24 hours. This helps to weed out components that are likely to fail (infant mortality).

BOTTOM LINE - I keep my detector in my trunk for extended periods of time during the summer and don't have any concerns.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually do work in an office however I take the commuter rail and then the subway 1.5 hours each way to work so it would be a pain carrying the detector along with my laptop.
I have left ammunition and my AR15 in my truck in the summer, neither cooked off. I also have an electronic shot timer (Pact) for time how fast I can shoot in the trunk all the time and it has never had a problem and the batteries in it are probably 3 years old.

I was thinking of the trunk rather than the main part of the car.

I have noticed that my car radio always works even when the car hits 160, maybe they build car radios to military specs? And I have left my cell phone in the car by mistake before and again it works fine.
I wouldn't do this very often but wanted to find out what people thought.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
​Like i said before my radar detector never comes out of my truck......... And we do get some 98 degree temps here in the summer at times..... and down to 10 below in the winter and sometimes colder................ And i have never had a problem with it.................

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy that is something I hadn't thought about, my Garmin is in the car all summer and the temp in the car has been over 160! It works like a charm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread