garrett AT gold vs fisher gold bug 2 ????

robbenmessi1010

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i want to buy a good metal detector for gold prospecting. which one of these 2 will detect smaller nuggets??which detector has higher depth for gold nuggets??? the at gold is waterproof which is a small advantage. tell me which one is better and will find me more gold. especially small nuggets. thank you,

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i want to buy a good metal detector for gold prospecting. which one of these 2 will detect smaller nuggets??which detector has higher depth for gold nuggets??? the at gold is waterproof which is a small advantage. tell me which one is better and will find me more gold. especially small nuggets. thank you,

There is no comparing these two machines. The Goldbug II is the machine you want. The AT Gold is not a small nugget machine, and not in the same class as the Goldbug, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, or Whites GMT. Good Luck!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rob the gold bug 2 is much more sensitive to gold due to super high frequency. However the gb2 will not do good on coins at all if you ever decide to hunt them.

Please holler with questions!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right on a dictated gold nugget detector like the Lobo Super traq, Gold Bug II or White's GMT etc. These detectors have proven themselves as true nugget finders.

flatsix

Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes the guys are right about the gold bug will find smaller nuggets generally.however that doesn't automatically make it a better prospecting machine.(just saying).and without a doubt the AT gold would destroy the gold bug for other types of treasure hunting.

gold4us

Aug 6, 2012
Kingsland, TX
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Excalibur 800
Minelab SD2200
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GB2 is a great small nugget machine, but its high freq. can drive you nuts if you have a lot of hot rocks. I was a Fisher dealer for a while and I like and use their detectors. I also own and us the AT-Gold. The ATG, while not as sensitive to really small fly speck gold, will find small stuff and it runs a little more stable than the GB2. I find bird shot all the time with the ATG. I think the new Gold Bug might be a good one to try.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The GBP is far superior to the Vaquero, the AT series, and even on salt beaches. Most of know that, but it's all a learning process

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hands down, the Gold Bug II. Until you detect with one you can't imagine the fine gold it will pick up. I like to use it crevassing on occasion.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Gold Bug 2 in a heartbeat. I have seen some amazing results with that machine.

Had a White's GMT, it was noisy and the GB2 left it for dead. It is also more sensitive. I don't know what it is with White's detectors, but they make their machines very jittery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread