Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you do?

I'd head for the hills. :tongue3: You're just as guilty for possibly leaving bad plugs. After all, you did mention 5:20 in that you were also digging. I think I'd see plenty of finger pointing going on if someone approached you. :laughing7:

logger1

Apr 19, 2009
I saw that video and many more where the grass was so dry that no one should be digging, and in parks yet. In my opinon it was a bad time for the new minelab to come out, guys that got them wanted to use them dry or not with no concern on what it could do to the hobbie.
Here's a couple Youtube videos. The first is for entertainment but it sets the stage for the second one. You see, the first identifies a location in my neck of the woods.

The second shows what isn't shown in the first video.

This is the aftermath of a hunt at an old fairgrounds that is now a park. It has been too dry to dig plugs in the park but that didn't stop these noobs from potentially ruining metal detecting in Ann Arbor. They visited on Saturday Aug 11, 2012 and I made the video on Aug 15, 2012. The damage looks much worse in person.
The reason I show the school after each plug is to prove that I am at the same location in their video.

What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

slag

Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grass is already dead, the ground is dry, no harm done. They filled in their holes as best as they could. They didn't kill the grass as it was already dead, so no harm, no foul. Just because you can tell someone was there doesn't make it wrong. No one is going to trip over or fall into one of the holes they made.

Personally, I'd have dug a smaller hole, probably 3x3 or 4x4ish but still, they filled in the holes and looks like they stomped them down to pack them where they could.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
slag said:
The grass is already dead, the ground is dry, no harm done. They filled in their holes as best as they could. They didn't kill the grass as it was already dead, so no harm, no foul. Just because you can tell someone was there doesn't make it wrong. No one is going to trip over or fall into one of the holes they made.

Personally, I'd have dug a smaller hole, probably 3x3 or 4x4ish but still, they filled in the holes and looks like they stomped them down to pack them where they could.

The thing to do is wait for rain. Grass goes dormant.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I see it they were wrong in cutting a plug in dry grass. The roots were cut and no dirt was placed on a cloth or sheet of plastic for placing it all back in the hole. If they did this damage in my parks I'd see to it that they got a citation which carries fines for damages and reseeding the area. Think this is to harsh, do you want to lose the area to metal detecting?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Sandman said:
As I see it they were wrong in cutting a plug in dry grass. The roots were cut and no dirt was placed on a cloth or sheet of plastic for placing it all back in the hole. If they did this damage in my parks I'd see to it that they got a citation which carries fines for damages and reseeding the area. Think this is to harsh, do you want to lose the area to metal detecting?

Yep the sandman is correct again. Gotta use common sense.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be out MD right now if I wasn't away for work training

OP
OP
I

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd head for the hills. :tongue3: You're just as guilty for possibly leaving bad plugs. After all, you did mention 5:20 in that you were also digging. I think I'd see plenty of finger pointing going on if someone approached you. :laughing7:

Where did I say I was digging in the post or even detecting? You should learn how to read a post.
These "plugs" are no smaller than 8" and some are over 12".
I couldn't go detecting in the park anyhow lest someone thought I made that mess. Its one thing to make a small plug and blend it in, these losers didn't even try.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody needs to get those boys some Propointers! It would help keep the holes smaller.

A good video ChicagoRon made on target recovery.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ism, you're right.. I should learn to read :laughing7: I never saw the bottom paragraph, just watched the videos.

Then again, perhaps when you post, you put the story first :laughing9:

Kind of like putting the cart before the horse there sparky :laughing9:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd agree with sandman...where is the dirt catcher so it's not everywhere...the sheet of plastic or whatever. I personally don't detect parks when it's totally dry like that. They still mow the weeds when they get high and just pull the plugs out and blow them everywhere!

But in their defense, it didn't look like the area was very well maintained and they at least filled their holes in. It's the aftermath....dust dry plugs just waiting to be blown everywhere.

Al

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s not just the finished product that is important; it’s also the public’s perception of the work in progress. In their eyes…..any one individual detectorist represents all of us.

Attachments

• sloppy.bmp
    755.7 KB · Views: 130

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody needs to get those boys some Propointers! It would help keep the holes smaller.

This is the right way to do it. But the hunters that need this help mostly don't care. These are the same slugs that shoot at signs on roads.

slag

Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing to do is wait for rain. Grass goes dormant.

I'll disagree with you. Summer is prime metal detecting season and it hasn't rained here since early June. No way I'm going to give up several months of detecting while I wait for Mother Nature to provide some rain. It just isn't feasible. I detect with my kids when they are out of school for the summer and, if we followed your rules, we wouldn't have any time to detect.

slag

Jul 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This method still kills the grass. It will look good for a few days to a week, but the grass will die. I did this on my neighbor's yard near the curb and he waters every other day and his ground stays moist. You can easily tell where the plug was cut, in a horsehoe like the one in the video, and yes, the grass did die. It doesn't matter if you cut a horseshoe plug with flap or cut a plug completely out, it will die. BTW, I did have permission to dig there, and just last week the city came by and replaced the curbs and destroyed several feet of his yard, so it didn't matter to him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread