First Time Detecting

Sadams1980

Dec 29, 2004
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace, Garrett Pro Pointer
Hi all, hope everyone is finding lots of good stuff. I went out for the first time with my Treasure Hunter All vision Pro in my back garden, but all i found was trash, metal carpet edgings etc. I had alot of trouble with moving targets and pinpointing. I would come across a target dig the hole then i would move the MD over the hole only to find the target as moved. I have read that this happens alot to newbies. But i was wondering if someone could give me some good general tips on pinpointing and if anyone knows how to balance my machine? any help would be greatly appreciated. Also i was given a Viking 5 series II Detector today does anyone know what they are like?

Thanks for any help i can get. This is an excellent forum keep up the good work.

Sean

Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sean, I was running into the same problems when I first started detecting, a long 2 moths ago, lol! I am using a BH Pioneer 101 and was experienceing the same "moving target" problem you are having. I find the best way to combat that is too use a cross shape pattern to locate the target. Once you hit a target, try to get as good a fix on it as you can, and then, visusalizing where it is, stand to the side of the target and swing the coil across it in the oppsite direction, making a cross or X shape over the target to pinpoint it. The "X" will mark the spot! Also, I tend to find that these inconsistent, moving targets tend to be junk like aluminum or old rusty iron. Coins or jewelry tend to give a good, sharp, firm signal, but as a newbie, you may fall victim to the irresistable urge to dig it anyway, like I do most of the time! As for the Treasure Hunter or the Viking, I cant help you there as I am unfamiliar with those machines. Good hunting!

OP
OP
S

Sadams1980

Dec 29, 2004
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace, Garrett Pro Pointer
Hi Treasurekidd, thanks for the reply and the advice i will try that when i next get a chance. I only had a chance to get out for an hour today because of the weather. My garden was used as a dumping ground by the builders. So 99% of the stuff i find i suspect will be rubbish. What was your first good find? and how long did it take you?

Sean

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
I sometimes have that problem when the target is very small-I once hunted for a target that kept moving-come to find out,it was a single piece of#6 lead bird shot-talk about sensitive!!!-maybe it would help if you turned down your sensitivity.Another thing that will blow the headphones off your head is a small piece of aluminum siding buried in the ground!!! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread