How fast and how deep do things get buried underground?

tuone

Jun 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How fast and deep do things get buried underground?

at what depth do things go into the ground every 10 years? and after a century? and after a millenium?

What is the difference in burial rate between sand, clay, broadleaf forest, arid forest, grassland, etc?

I am guessing that coins take about 50 years to move 4-5 inches into the roots that jumble things up, and then they go slower once they are under a root line? so really the only thing burying the metal is the roots and animal movement that makes voids around the metal and make organic matter build up on top?

there is a 2000 year old fortification near where i live, but i figure after that long, will i have a decent chance of signals 6+ inches deep that are recent?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vladio

Mar 5, 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer &
Bounty Hunter (kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I just came across this site in a search. We just bought metal detectors and find this forum interesting so I signed up.

I find this topic very interesting. I was just reading a BBC article on the skeletal remains that were found recently just outside of London - It looks as if a Black Death burial spot was unearthed. They say the remains were found at 2.5 meters which works out to 8.2 feet (roughly). A quick calculation show about .14 inches a year on these bodies. Again, rough calculation here as I'm at work. lol.

I'd bet that England's a great place to find things buried with centuries of history on her side.

Well, back to work. I'll check back this evening when the kids are in bed.

Great forum! Keep up the good work!

Vlad

BBC News - 'Black Death pit' unearthed by Crossrail project

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buried a Susan B dollar 9" three years ago when I made a coin test area. A couple days ago I retrieved it because it was only 2" from the surface.
The soil in my yard is aboil from wildlife, insects, vegitation, freeze and thaw...etc. Most of the coins have moved from their original location (I have to find a better way to secure them at depth).
This is one reason why old coins are occasionally found only a couple inches from the surface in an area that was hit hard a year earlier.
Its not the only answer, but its something to be considered

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 4 zink penny pocket spill today. The newest was 2006. They were close to 7-8". I working a soccer field with deep black soil without tree roots. The ground is very soupy right now. I was hitting water around 10".

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the type of question with no "One" correct answer, Ive found 2000 era pennies at 6-8 inches but have also found 40-50 era rosie dimes at 4 inchs,Alot depends on the environment they were lost in more than the timeframe of when they were lost. Just my personal opinion and could be entirely wrong but if you base a search on the depth of a target,You could very well be stepping over what you are searching for.

HH John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread