Calling All MXT Users

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hi guys. I'm looking for advice, pointers, redicule or whatever you'd like to contribute. I bought an MXT as my first machine. I've used it once and did pretty well with the "Quick Start" settings in coin mode. Found a bunch of stuff, but am interested in knowing the finer points that you may want to share. I live in a place that was occupied by a backyard mechanic/ welder/ junk collector for 30 years. Needless to say, there are chunks of ferric everywhere. I read posts here some time back that recommended to dig everything, & I did. Don't have a problem with digging but would like to know something about notching which may be impossible since there is no average size to the junk. Everything from Arc welding rod butts to huge chunks of raw iron stock is in the ground here. Is all the talk I've heard about seeing into the ground just hype, or with use do you just get better at guessing how big a signal is? i.e. if it's screaming for 8' it must be an axle. Also, I would really appreciate some input on depth. Is it inherent to the machine or do I need to know something about tweeking the dials. I dug a 30 mm round at 16" but it was quite a chunk of metal. All information is highly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to do this~Andy

Upvote 0

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my MXT here in Colorado for about 2 years now with some good success. At first I was skeptical but the more you use the MXT the better it will work for you. Sometimes I will get into an area where I think I am missing the deep or older coins but then will run across a 1917 wheat penny at about 8 inches down. Nickels are not a problem either. What part of Colorado are you in?

W

wepc

I'll tell you what, the MXT is easy to use. My first time out, withing a half an hour I had the feel down and pulled an amazing coin to trash ratio.
You can really tune your ears to coin, after you dig enough signals. I like the preset coin/jewelry option the best. Relic mode is noisy for me, but it has different signals for different targets which allow me to discrimate based on tone.

OP
OP
Colorado2

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
wepc said:
I'll tell you what, the MXT is easy to use. My first time out, withing a half an hour I had the feel down and pulled an amazing coin to trash ratio.
You can really tune your ears to coin, after you dig enough signals. I like the preset coin/jewelry option the best. Relic mode is noisy for me, but it has different signals for different targets which allow me to discrimate based on tone.

Thanks for the input wepc. I'm finding the same thing is true. Today was 3rd time out with this machine and my ears took over. Without the distraction of the visual readout I was hitting coins like crazy and walking past the choppy signals. THX~CO2

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
It is a great machine on old nickle's that read low. relic mode all high tone are worth checking. P.S. got my first gold and diamond ring with mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread