Got $150 bucks to spend on a newbie detector, looking for coinage, jewelry in dry TX

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For $150 if you are firm on this, I would either go with Whites coinmaster or garrett ace 150. Possibly tesoro compadre they are a little more than your $150 though and don't have a digital display. I am fairly new to this but have done a lot of research on entry level detectors and these would probably do what you are wanting. Some of the other members will have a lot more info for you or maybe better recommendations.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to each manufacture's website and see what they offer. Prices will be about the same everywhere. Give Big Boy's Hobbies a call.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $150 if you are firm on this, I would either go with Whites coinmaster or garrett ace 150. Possibly tesoro compadre they are a little more than your $150 though and don't have a digital display. I am fairly new to this but have done a lot of research on entry level detectors and these would probably do what you are wanting. Some of the other members will have a lot more info for you or maybe better recommendations.

I was thinking the tesoro compadre was considered a sleeper pick on the cheap side. However its features seem.. well,.. basic. Why this over say a Ace 150 for coin shooting? My typical lot is goign to be a tot lot, farm field, or parks.

WayneCountyDetector

Jul 25, 2012
Wayne County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
BH Quicksilver
BH Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used a compadre but from all the reviews and people on here and other forums it seems like a safe bet in your price range. It also has a lifetime warranty on it. That said like you were asking it does not have the digital readout and some bells and whistles others might have but just from what I read they are solid metal detectors. Honestly I don't know which would be the best for coin shooting. But all three are good name brand detectors in similar price range with probably.. I stress probably, the same overall performance. I also haven't used the ace 150 but own a 250 and I am very pleased with its performance. One thing I think you will be missing on these two units is the pinpointing feature that will drastically help you zoning in on a target. The whites coinmaster has the pinpointing feature and whites makes great metal detectors but I have never used the coinmaster either. The metal detectors I listed were just ones I would personally consider if I was on a strict 150 dollar limit. If you would bump up to the $200 range I would take a look at the Fisher f2 or Garrett ace 250, that's just what I would consider.

edit: a lot of members on here probably wouldn't consider any of these that I have mentioned to you. They are more serious about the hobby and wouldn't waste their time or money on these. But if you are like me (from the sound of your price range), someone who enjoys the hobby but for whatever reason doesn't want to make too much of an investment in it at the moment, these machines should suit your needs.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the Ace 150 or compadre I would go with the compadre, just the warranty alone gives it the edge.

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go on ebay and look around, i just picked up a tesoro deleon for $180, once it arrived i imediatly sent it in to tesoro for a check over. they did whatever it needed and sent it back,,NO CHARGE.. i think the people at tesoro are second to none. i would venture to say that no one else would give you that kind of service..whites , garrett, fisher ,,,,etc

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just know in advance tesoro warranty not transferable per tesoro. They may or may not fix a problem if your not original owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread