Brand New to Metal Detecting

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Hey guys! Thanks for being here to share and help others, it has been a fun few days reading some things on here. Anyways after researching I decided on an Ace 250. I had an old ipad lying around and traded it for the Ace.

I just got home but before I do any tips? Across my street is the grounds of an old elementary school from the 70s and there is a lake close with abandoned camp grounds hidden off of a road with a mile hike.

I live in castaic (so cal, magic mountain) near piru lake and castaic lake. Are there any so cal guys close that could show me some tricks or leep company?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Also It didnt come with a users guide so im learning as I go unless someone has an electronic manual

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look on the Garrett web site, they have manuals and videos on the site.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chech YouTube out, there are a lot of videos about the ace250

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Sweet thanks guys. I jusy went to a little wash begind my place to mess around with it. Found some random metal, some nails, a piece of rebar etc. Cant wait to get better but i think ill need a sifter.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the hobby, and the forums. I hope you will get used to the ACE250. Manuals can be found online, ans for youtube there are many many videos on how to use the 250 and how to dig things up. How to make a plug in the correct way, and how to live everything just as it was.

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
I found some cool stuff today but nothing great. An old car lightbulb, a quarter, 2 old keys, a lot of soda tabs (why do people pull these off), some cans, a chain link, and a couple foil wrappers for gum, cigs, etc. , some rebar, and a piece of old steel.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hey guys! Thanks for being here to share and help others, it has been a fun few days reading some things on here. Anyways after researching I decided on an Ace 250. I had an old ipad lying around and traded it for the Ace.

I just got home but before I do any tips? Across my street is the grounds of an old elementary school from the 70s and there is a lake close with abandoned camp grounds hidden off of a road with a mile hike.

I live in castaic (so cal, magic mountain) near piru lake and castaic lake. Are there any so cal guys close that could show me some tricks or leep company?

bossbear, welcome aboard. I'm from Salinas, about 4 hrs. north of you. I don't have much to say about your Garrett (as I'm strictly a Minelab user for the last 10 yrs. now :)), but as far as your choice of spots, ........ if I was you ...... I'd hit those camp-grounds you say are "hidden off a road with a mile hike". Some of those mountain lakes in your area, if those lakes have been there awhile (verses modern reservoirs) can indeed have old campgrounds. If you know of any that were discontinued in use by the mid-1960s, those are the funnest to hunt (because less clad, less tabs, and more silver and wheaties :)) Like old boyscout, girlscout, church, and other such camps, if they don't get much modern use, but did see use in the old days, can be good places. You can also certainly try the ones still-in-use, but the problem becomes, that those are .... of course .... the easiest ones that other research out and already hit (you'd be surprised at how many campers in their RV's pack detectors nowadays!).

There's a lot of md'rs from the northern edges of Los Angeles area (your area) that have probably already tried to sniff out any defunct camps. But ...... you never know. Sometimes you find a gem that for some reason, no one had the particular printed resource (or old-timers you've talked to, etc...) to allow them to research it out. And for all you know, you'll be the first one to hunt one.

Campgrounds are always a good place to coin-hunt, because when the people pitched their tents, and lie prone to sleep, is an instant recipe for coins to spill out of pockets. Modern camps get more junky though, because American entered into the "aluminum age" starting in the 1960s (tabs, foil, etc... got extremely widespread).

As for hooking up with other CA hunters, try the "kinzli" forum. There's southern CA folks who regularly chime in there.

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Tom_in_CA said:
bossbear, welcome aboard. I'm from Salinas, about 4 hrs. north of you. I don't have much to say about your Garrett (as I'm strictly a Minelab user for the last 10 yrs. now :)), but as far as your choice of spots, ........ if I was you ...... I'd hit those camp-grounds you say are "hidden off a road with a mile hike". Some of those mountain lakes in your area, if those lakes have been there awhile (verses modern reservoirs) can indeed have old campgrounds. If you know of any that were discontinued in use by the mid-1960s, those are the funnest to hunt (because less clad, less tabs, and more silver and wheaties :)) Like old boyscout, girlscout, church, and other such camps, if they don't get much modern use, but did see use in the old days, can be good places. You can also certainly try the ones still-in-use, but the problem becomes, that those are .... of course .... the easiest ones that other research out and already hit (you'd be surprised at how many campers in their RV's pack detectors nowadays!).

There's a lot of md'rs from the northern edges of Los Angeles area (your area) that have probably already tried to sniff out any defunct camps. But ...... you never know. Sometimes you find a gem that for some reason, no one had the particular printed resource (or old-timers you've talked to, etc...) to allow them to research it out. And for all you know, you'll be the first one to hunt one.

Campgrounds are always a good place to coin-hunt, because when the people pitched their tents, and lie prone to sleep, is an instant recipe for coins to spill out of pockets. Modern camps get more junky though, because American entered into the "aluminum age" starting in the 1960s (tabs, foil, etc... got extremely widespread).

As for hooking up with other CA hunters, try the "kinzli" forum. There's southern CA folks who regularly chime in there.

Thanks for the advice. I went to the camp grounds but didnt find too much but im still learning how to use my md. I found some old keys and a headlight bulb. I use to have a 68 vw bug and it looks like that type of bulb. I was hiking with my wife so I didnt really try hard but ill be going back

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi mate hope all goes well, ,I,m quite new too (just over a year} and still enjoy detecting.Couple of things I was told which were right, don,t expect to find the crown jewels each time you go out,get a good spade ,and get ready for loads of digging of crap as well as some good stuff.Don,t let the junk get you down, its worth it when a good find comes along,Last is most important, whether you have a top range or bottom range machine,keep on using the same one till you know it inside out ,then you,ll find loadsa goodies..good luck mate.

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
I also found an egg sinker, a chain link, a metal dog tag from a marathon or something in 2011, a house key, a hotel key? It says "222" on it, and a toe or pinky ring (dont know what its made of).

Im hooked now

Attachments

• image-205288192.jpg
    image-205288192.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 240

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found an egg sinker, a chain link, a metal dog tag from a marathon or something in 2011, a house key, a hotel key? It says "222" on it, and a toe or pinky ring (dont know what its made of).

Im hooked now
I think this guy lost it!!!

Attachments

• medium.jpg
    medium.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 486
OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
russ said:
Hi mate hope all goes well, ,I,m quite new too (just over a year} and still enjoy detecting.Couple of things I was told which were right, don,t expect to find the crown jewels each time you go out,get a good spade ,and get ready for loads of digging of crap as well as some good stuff.Don,t let the junk get you down, its worth it when a good find comes along,Last is most important, whether you have a top range or bottom range machine,keep on using the same one till you know it inside out ,then you,ll find loadsa goodies..good luck mate.

Thanks russ!

I went to a park today and had my sensitivity on 3 bars and to to only find coin setting. I was in the middle of a grassy field with trees and such an my ace 250 was pinging like crazy every 10 or so feet and saying there were things 6-8 inches down this was happening in singular locations all around the park. I think they were small because the pin point area was easy to locate but I dont know how to dig that far without messing up the sod, it was a baseball outfield. I think there is a lot of stuff out there, I live in old town castaic along the old road/ ridge route area in CA. Maybe there is something in those grassy areas.

How can I safetly pull out these things without digging a 6x6 in and 8 in deep hole? I dont want any little leaguers to brake their ankles out there.

luckyolson13

Aug 30, 2012
I have an odd question. Is it wise to buy second hand as a first time buyer with not alot of knowledge about detectors.?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
luckyolson13 said:
I have an odd question. Is it wise to buy second hand as a first time buyer with not alot of knowledge about detectors.?

That is a good question. My first detector I bought new, since I didn't know what to expect from it so I played it safe. After that all my detectors were second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Icykiss

Apr 20, 2014
Castaic,ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best place to look for places to hunt is the local historical society, metal detector clubs or other organizations. Some of the best sites I have found were from older members of a local elks lodge. No matter where I find to hunt I always ask for permission and usually have either the email or point of contact information handy while I am hunting. The best advice while detecting, if you are unsure about a signal dig it. Better to take out one more piece of trash out of the ground instead of leaving something good behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread