getting frustrated

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
hamer81 said:
Hello all. I'm new to md can't find any place to hunt. All the land around has people hunting already.they won't let me go. I've heard they had deals worked out were they give the landowner half of what they find... any help would be appreciated

Who won't let you go? The land owners? Go find your own land owner. Don't know where you live but I bet I could come up with a dozen spots for you to hunt. So if you think about it for a while I bet you could too.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Develope some spots to go to then tell those other fools to STAY OUT! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW: Welcome to the Net. TTC

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with any public area that has dirt :laughing7: Like playgrounds, parks, beaches, etc... If you own a house, start ripping up your yard too while you're at it :icon_thumright:

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I am also having trouble finding places to hunt.
I just started MDing at the lake beach nearby and that has been ok. I see other people MDing there too so it can be kind of disappointing. Public parks seem like a good place to go though.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Saying can,t won,t help. Lots of homes in the state your in. Practice being refused. Consider someone approaching you to search your personal space. Allways thank owners,even when they refuse. Keep track of your success rate over time with access. Maybe you,ll become picky where you knock even!. Find a place like an old park where you can all ways hunt to stay in practice, its o.k. if others hunt it,see what you can produce!.your representing others when detecting so keep smiling when owners say no and be tidy and considerate when they say yes. It can lead to other properties. Keep trying and share your results!.

OP
OP
hamer81

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
The land owners won't let me hunt because there are people they already let hunt. I live in Va. 1 1/2 mile from where the battle of New Market took place everything is private. There are some parks around, but I've been there finding coins n such. Can't help it but really wanna get in some of these fields where they are find bullets, buttons and what not

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How can you get plugged in to the network of property owners and relic hunters? Is there a detecting club in your area? Have you introduced yourself to the other detectorists and landowners? Some contacts can be made "on the street" and through people you know. with competition be ready to hunt as soon as permission granted. expect to match what those hunting offer at least. Start knocking on doors,be honest,if you have not recovered a bullet (this where landowner knows they are there)let them know your seeking your first and offer to leave(and do it) when you find one. Unless you have a share or other obligation. Do consider a club or mentor if knocking on say 20 doors nets no access. Back to land owners perspective,why would they let you hunt? Not so different than deer and turkey, give them a reason. Keep scouting and do the research, there could be a missed site out there.

OP
OP
hamer81

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
Sounds like great advice I will try. I know a few people that md but can't seem to get caught up with them with my work sch edule but I'm off next 4 days so I will be every where

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not super easy but its worth it. Stay positive. I,m still not comfortable asking permission but will keep doing it and keep improving. I like the history too much to quit. I,ll take the rejection as non personal and off to next smiling request. Good luck, its going to happen soon!.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, you are coming late to the party so you’re going to have to work really hard to find some good places to hunt. A lot of folks around you have probably been burned badly by trespassers, so many had rather say no to everyone than let anyone hunt. That’s just the way it is, you’re going to have to work through it to be successful. This is how you are going to have to do it… RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH… NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK… Read everything you can find concerning your area; study all the maps; Union and Confederate. Learn to use the Geographic Information System (GIS) to find land owner’s names and addresses. Learn to overlay maps on Google Earth to extract information and find locations. Ask your friends & coworkers if they have any connections to the areas you find that you want to hunt. If some of their family owns farm land, then that may be your ticket in! Also, remember right now there are crops in the fields; they may not be letting anyone hunt. After the crop harvest, come the deer hunters, so there is another possible delay… You have to be patient and ask lots of questions and seek out permission. Don’t short change your own neighborhood, through the research you may find a spot right outside your backdoor that could hold some relics. Being only a mile from the battlefield, you are plenty close to find something.
Let the landowners know that you want to find local relics that pertain to New Market, something you can keep as a memento to your area and its history. Assure them that you will dig everything and remove all the trash; anything you find you’ll take out, leaving the area better than you found it. That’s what I’ve done… I’ll carry a 5 gal bucket into the field and throw all found paper, cans, bottles, nails, and scrap iron that I find into the bucket and when I leave I haul it out. Not to mention it leaves the area cleaner and easier to hunt down the road! After you’ve made your initial contact, received permission and made your first recoveries, be sure to seek out the owner and thank them for the opportunity. Show them what you found and how much you appreciate it, offer up a bullet or something. DO NOT ASK TO RETURN AT THIS TIME! Remember to fill in all your holes, packing them tight. You don’t want the landowner to step in a spongy hole and break an ankle. If you see a maintenance item that should be addressed with the owner, such as a fence wire or post down, let the owner know. If you can fix it, offer to do so. Anything you can do to promote yourself to the landowner, is better for you. After my first hunt I typically send a handwritten thank you note to the landowner letting them know how much I appreciate their allowing me to hunt. I also call later, after they should have received my note, to ask if I may return. Even with this, be patient; give them a week or two between hunts to consider it. Another tip for down the road… Send them another thank you note with a gift card to a local restaurant. It really lets them know you appreciate their generosity. With that kind of respect and service, it may open other doors of opportunity, it has for me.

OP
OP
hamer81

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
Some really good ideas. I'm gonna start tommorow I have few days off for the holiday, perfect time to hit it hard Thanks for all the help

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Not sure where you live, but go to.parks or even just out in the woods on trails cause someone has to have been there before, I'm just starting out but that's what I do

H

HAVE DETECTOR WILL TRAVEL

Find out what the other guy doesn't know and do what the other guy didn't. Learn the tale tell signs and most important. Be the treasure!

OP
OP
hamer81

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
Well I have found me a few spots to hunt now it down to learning my md. I've only found some money in my yard but I'm hooked I wanna go out everyday now

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good. You are close enough to the New Market battlefield that you will eventually find something you can identify as a Civil War relic. You think you're hooked now, you just wait til then! Keep at and good luck.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At just one and a half miles from New Market Battlefield your yard probably holds relics, ya just gotta slow down and pay attention to your machine...........................HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread