I GOT A NEW TIP TODAY FOR COIN HUNTING, GLAD TO SHARE!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I met a kind ol respectable/retired dude who said he coin hunts at public parks. Him and his buddy claimed to have pulled out about 2,000 coins which they do as a fun/hobby. I asked him if he gets told to go or if he has ever been thrown out. He replied that he makes neat plug/holes and he always puts everything back in place and "No Problems". Now, I NEVER HEARD THIS OR READ ABOUT THIS TIP. I was told after a heavy rain or after a storm season this Ol dude said he "Hit's" areas under the slides at the park! The transients sleep under the slides and coin/money gets in the sand and many new deposits are left for him.
He showed me his Whites MXT and he was hittin away popin up coins. I know the transients don't have much paper money and always bum quarters and whatever change they can get. Today was over 100 and I thought I was at the "Bear Country" ride in Disneyland with all the snoring & slumbering like bears, people were sleeping all over the place noon time under trees on blankets and some with out blankets. I thanked the Ol Dude for the info/tip about under the slides where he said he was scoring big, he even invited me to bring my Whited GMT Goldmaster, he was eager to share his advice and said there are a lot of coins for everyone and he only digs up to 2 inches!... Hope this helps all my MD Friends out there who don't know about this PEACE.

Upvote 0

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldentruth said:
Today I met a kind ol respectable/retired dude who said he coin hunts at public parks. Him and his buddy claimed to have pulled out about 2,000 coins which they do as a fun/hobby. I asked him if he gets told to go or if he has ever been thrown out. He replied that he makes neat plug/holes and he always puts everything back in place and "No Problems". Now, I NEVER HEARD THIS OR READ ABOUT THIS TIP. I was told after a heavy rain or after a storm season this Ol dude said he "Hit's" areas under the slides at the park! The transients sleep under the slides and coin/money gets in the sand and many new deposits are left for him.
He showed me his Whites MXT and he was hittin away popin up coins. I know the transients don't have much paper money and always bum quarters and whatever change they can get. Today was over 100 and I thought I was at the "Bear Country" ride in Disneyland with all the snoring & slumbering like bears, people were sleeping all over the place noon time under trees on blankets and some with out blankets. I thanked the Ol Dude for the info/tip about under the slides where he said he was scoring big, he even invited me to bring my Whited GMT Goldmaster, he was eager to share his advice and said there are a lot of coins for everyone and he only digs up to 2 inches!... Hope this helps all my MD Friends out there who don't know about this PEACE.

Thanks for the info. I always like to hear these tips- sounds very logical. I'm going to try it tomorrow.
Appreciate you sharing.
BC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll tell you a true story that can be verified by records check. I was a Milwuakee cop for almost 20 years. I heard that a well known (to us) street person had died. People stepped around him as he lay on the vent grate at a downtown building.... already dead. Someone called police. During the inventory of his belongings, $29,000 in CASH was found in the linings of his coat! Not a detecting story, for sure, but your post reminded me of it. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happens if you live in an area with no transients :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

Then you are out of luck! :laughing9: Seriously, the only thing you are going to find in Westchester County, New York, totlots is pennies, dimes, quarters and junk jewelry (nannies, not mommies with the kids). Now, if that is your idea of "treasure hunting," then God Bless you. I'll go to the soccer field, farm field, old house, and save the totlots for newbies from now on.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Terry Soloman said:
Then you are out of luck! :laughing9: Seriously, the only thing you are going to find in Westchester County, New York, totlots is pennies, dimes, quarters and junk jewelry (nannies, not mommies with the kids). Now, if that is your idea of "treasure hunting," then God Bless you. I'll go to the soccer field, farm field, old house, and save the totlots for newbies from now on.

And there you have it. I guess you gotta learn somewhere.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I don't live where there are transients, When I go into town and I have time to kill before work I can check out the local library/park area, that is where I met the guy metal detecting and he shared his tip of how he is going great and enjoying his hobby. He says the extra coin is an extra.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way, I did not say this was a "Tot Lot", To make this clear, this is a City Public park which has a fence and walls which borders the park from the main blvd. It is behind the ajoining Public Library and the park has a nice basketball court & tennis courts in the middle of the park. I was shooting baskets when I met this guy with a "Whites MXT". The other side aways has a baseball diamond, restrooms and a small childrens play area with slides and sand. Mostly there are a lot of transients and the general people under the tree grassy areas. I hope this will help you understand, it's not the kids who dump the money, I said AFTER RAINY DAYS/SEASONS... IS "THEN" IS A HOT SPOT. enough.

OP
OP
goldentruth

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI... all money is FILTHY. I think coin out of the ground has to leave some germs off. (By the way, I wouldn't mind one day being "FILTHY-RICH"! LOL)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that doesnt think there is treasure to be found in tot lots, either dont know any better or are just ashamed to hunt in one...putting someone down for where they detect says a lot about someone.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
lookindown said:
Anyone that doesnt think there is treasure to be found in tot lots, either dont know any better or are just ashamed to hunt in one...putting someone down for where they detect says a lot about someone.

Why would someone be ashamed to hunt a tot lot. They are a good place for someone new to the hobby to learn.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
goldentruth said:
Ya mean you wouldn't want to be Filthy RICH? lol (as I said in my latest quote.)

Digging up clad won't make you filthy rich but I wouldn't mind being rich filthy or not.

n3umw

Greenie
Jul 16, 2006
Germantown MD
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab X70, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found $800 worth (melt value) of gold during one visit to a tot-lot.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed its just another place to detect is all we are looking for items whats the difference If the coins come from a park,tot lot,or soccer feild, tot lots have produced silver & gold for me aswell as just about everywhere i can go want to go get permission to go. Ill go anywhere If I could its just that much fun. The chase of what could or might be there

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I scan tot lots because it's easy pickens if I happen to be in a park. Heck the $80 ring I found last month was in a tot lot. I find more in other places but I never over look a tot lot. One guy i ran into took his grandkids to a tot lot and his granddaughter found a ring worth $1400 and stuff like that keeps me going back.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People passing up areas to detect are just leaving finds for others. Keep on dismissing these....you're making someone else happy. I spent many hours this year learning my machines in parks....their variety of targets will teach you much. Thanks for the tips. I for one don't think I know it all yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scan tot lots because it's easy pickens if I happen to be in a park. Heck the $80 ring I found last month was in a tot lot. I find more in other places but I never over look a tot lot. One guy i ran into took his grandkids to a tot lot and his granddaughter found a ring worth $1400 and stuff like that keeps me going back.

Wow. Ya just never know If people are goin there no one knows exactly what everyone has or is doin If u got ur detector go for it weather newbie or seasoned detectorist its not for a certain level person its a place where finds replenish daily. Just like a beach,school,parking lots lists go on & on hh everyone & happy holidays

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread