Best Place For Coins?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it for a minute. Why buy that book :icon_scratch: Send me $5, with less postage and I'll help you :laughing7:

Just use a little common sense :sign13: What are the areas people mostly congregate in, like parks, beaches, playgrounds, etc. Next step if you want, visit those areas without your detector and see what areas are getting the most usage. Then return later and check those areas. :laughing7:

Saddest part is, now that I spilled the beans, I'll never see that $5 :laughing9:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot will depend on your definition of "coins". Modern change? Sandy areas like beaches, playgrounds, volleyball courts are the best. Parks, schools, roadside stands, and parking strips would be next best in volume. For old (meaning collectable) coins, parks, schools, houses, camps, fairgrounds, ghosttowns, just about any old ground that's been undisturbed for at least 50 years.

OP
OP
detectorboy552

detectorboy552

Jul 14, 2012
I live in 100+ year old farm house and i have had the best luck around the old shed and the house, only found two wheat pennies, 1935 1936 i also found plenty of clad coins around the fire pit and along the driveway, thanks for your opinions, Hayden

S

stefen

CHECK AROUND RURAL POST BOXES...FOR YEARS PEOPLE WOULD LEAVE COINS IN THEM FOR POSTAGE...THESE WERE OFTEN DROPPED IN THE WEEDS...

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent used a detector in awhile but when I did I found dirt near concession stands at stadiums and ballparks to be good places. People dropped small coins all the time or left change on the counter if they had no pockets. I did this alot during the 80s before sivler coins were so rare. I found quite a bit of coins as well as pocket knifes, harmonicas, key rings, misc stuff you find in boys pockets at that age of those eras.

Another place I found alot was around water fountains at parks. People get off bikes, people bend over, sit things down etc.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live in snow country, at the top of sliding hills.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot will depend on your definition of "coins".
....... When he said coins i think he ment those small round things we carry around and spend.... or save.. or sell ..Sometimes we get to complicated on our answers........ I think most are happy when they find a coin old or new.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....... When he said coins i think he ment those small round things we carry around and spend.... or save.. or sell ..Sometimes we get to complicated on our answers........ I think most are happy when they find a coin old or new.....
I was trying to determine if he was after older, collectable coins or just change. I wouldn't go to a modern park, school, or tot lot to find silver coins. As for modern change, unless I find it by the bucket load, I'd just as soon it wasn't there at all. With the effort needed to recover and clean them, it isn't worth it to me to deliberately chase the stuff. I'll just pick it up to get it out of the way of finding the good stuff near by.

OP
OP
detectorboy552

detectorboy552

Jul 14, 2012
I am honestly after old coins, i love silver and the great quality they have unlike the new garbage coins, but digging up a new quarter isnt bad, its just another quarter in my pocket, just wish that they would take more pride in our currency, i have found coins from 2000 that have no silver finish left on them. But some day copper will increase in value just like silver and they will make coins cheaper and cheaper.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHEREVER PEOPLE GATHER. The Garrett book is good. Most by Garrett are good. Water hunting.... Marx, Trevillian. There are many others I can't think of at the moment. Take care. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread