Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Should I Use Headphones?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Garrett watersports!

Apr 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
    173 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I use mine around my neck because I still want to hear the rattlesnakes....& when a train flies by or somebody using a lawnmower I can block them out!
    Just remember...what you miss today...I will find tomorrow!

Charter Member
    us
    It's there,you just gotta look for it!

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    2798 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayden View Post
    I use mine around my neck because I still want to hear the rattlesnakes....& when a train flies by or somebody using a lawnmower I can block them out!
    You may be a bit younger than me,but,unless your right on top of one you don't hear them unless you have an accute sense of hearing.
    Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?

Man exists to know and acknowledge and live by the Truth.
    His reward is eternal life.His punishment for failing to do
    so is death.

http://www.fhu.com/

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hey Tokameel, my friend... and others! Wearing headphones is NOT a requirement! For me, with my hearing as bad as it is, I must wear them. Most would only wear them to get better "whisper" target pick up... or less money for batteries. I wear snakeproof "gators" or the longer chaps when hunting. I have both. I wear the gators in sparce veggetation areas and the full chaps when amongst cactus. They will repel the needles of cactus nicely. Rattlers ARE a problem when I hunt around Rich Hill, AZ. I "pop" the ground and bump weeds alot with my coil while detecting to scare off snakes. Has worked so far. Tom, I can understand the paranoia. In your situation, it is a PLUS. Can't be too careful. Ok, sorry for highjacking the thread, people. (Take care, Tom) TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    42 times
    Relic Hunting
    I use a set of Rattler headphones. They only have one earcup so you can still hear the outside world. I really like them a lot. I'm not concerned about snakes. My issue is hunting in the woods I like to hear what is around me.

-Swartzie
    strateloss likes this.
    Keep calm and dig on

Charter Member
    us
    It's there,you just gotta look for it!

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    2798 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swartzie View Post
    I use a set of Rattler headphones. They only have one earcup so you can still hear the outside world. I really like them a lot. I'm not concerned about snakes. My issue is hunting in the woods I like to hear what is around me.

-Swartzie
    I visually scan where ever I am! I can't hear it, I SEE IT!!!!!!!!!
    Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?

Man exists to know and acknowledge and live by the Truth.
    His reward is eternal life.His punishment for failing to do
    so is death.

http://www.fhu.com/

us
    Apr 2010
    Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
    10 times
    Thanks for the info. Terry.Rich
    rich battistoni

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swartzie View Post

-Swartzie
    DetectorPro Rattler Headphone
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1150 times
    Have to admit I am shocked that some folks don't wear them. Not a right or wrong comment I promise. I just could not imagine not using them. A good deep relic or coin sounds different. Not just volume. Believe me a loud harsh sound is usually not going to be passed, but sure get excited when I hear the sound of deep lead or coin etc. Don't believe I could distinguish near as much without them. Just as important is the ability to block outside noise like vehicles or wind etc. I see snake on a near daily basis in the TN woods but am usually always looking down so no problem with not seeing them. In really rocky areas around creeks etc. I do take one of the phones off sometimes but not often. I haven't seen a rattler this year but have seen several Copperheads. I do not like the speaker broadcasting for people to hear as well. I was going to get a Garrett propinter but decided to get the Viba-Probe for just that reason. Sorry to ramble that was just a shocker to me. Best of luck to ya and no matter how ya do it ....happy hunting .
    TerryC likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2012
    NE Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
    133 times
    Metal Detecting
    I just wear mine around my neck and turn up the volume a little bit so I can hear without having them on. If it is noisy or I am detecting around people I pop them on so they don't have to hear my ACE 250 going off like a doorbell constantly. Make sure to get volume adjustable headphones for your 250, there are no volume controls on the machine itself. I feel bad enough using my propointer around other people.

us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    138 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    wingmaster is correct, even with really good hearing, you want hear those really faint signals that you will with headphones....Wind noise and outside noise like people talking will interfere with what you hear, and like spark said it is also easier to ignore a persistent person who keeps asking the same question....."Did you find anything yet?"
    He said its a n Ace 250. Can you really tell the difference in tones with the 250? It only has the 2 or 3 tones, not really a spectrum.

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    791 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toorude89

He said its a n Ace 250. Can you really tell the difference in tones with the 250? It only has the 2 or 3 tones, not really a spectrum.
    A very good point.

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The 250 and ALL VLF machines I have owned have MANY different types of sounds. Zip-pop, bang, clicks. (and the BONG). Learn the different sounds to better digging! It is all in the SOUND! TTC
    worldtalker likes this.
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    All answers are correct, Also headphones extend battery life at least in my MXT................HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

us
    Jun 2012
    Rose Hill, KS
    Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
    19 times
    Metal Detecting
    Make sure the headphones you purchase have volume control. When I first started wearing phones I didnt have volume control and almost blew out my ears. The 250 is a loud machine and it is ultra nice to be able to control the volume. I detect alot around traffic and trains which make phones necessity!
    Tee1up likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    tokameel

May 2012
    Mequon, Wi
    In 1974- White. Now a Garrett Ace 250. 8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
    48 times
    Looking for Error coins from the bank. Update: I can MD on my wheelchair!
    Yesterday I used my headphones for the first time since getting my Ace 250 from TerryC back in June. (Thanks again Terry)
    They worked great! I loved the fine tone separation not available using the speaker.
    However, I may have to wait until I can get a MD unit with cordless headphones because the wires were would tend to get tangled up with my wheelchair.
    That being said, I had my best two hours since getting back in this game in June. Three clad Quarters and 2 Cents
    Oh 12/21/12 (on the Mayan calender), Where is thy sting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors