Should I Use Headphones?

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
I have a garrett 250 and have been using it for about 6-7 hours without headphones and have been doing alright but I see so many people using them. Im 23 and have good hearing and the display has a signal strength indicator so what are the advantages of using them?

Also, how much better is a leishe (spelling) digging tool compared to a $5 metal gardening shovel?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a set of Rattler headphones. They only have one earcup so you can still hear the outside world. I really like them a lot. I'm not concerned about snakes. My issue is hunting in the woods I like to hear what is around me.

-Swartzie
DetectorPro Rattler Headphone

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to admit I am shocked that some folks don't wear them. Not a right or wrong comment I promise. I just could not imagine not using them. A good deep relic or coin sounds different. Not just volume. Believe me a loud harsh sound is usually not going to be passed, but sure get excited when I hear the sound of deep lead or coin etc. Don't believe I could distinguish near as much without them. Just as important is the ability to block outside noise like vehicles or wind etc. I see snake on a near daily basis in the TN woods but am usually always looking down so no problem with not seeing them. In really rocky areas around creeks etc. I do take one of the phones off sometimes but not often. I haven't seen a rattler this year but have seen several Copperheads. I do not like the speaker broadcasting for people to hear as well. I was going to get a Garrett propinter but decided to get the Viba-Probe for just that reason. Sorry to ramble that was just a shocker to me. Best of luck to ya and no matter how ya do it ....happy hunting . :icon_thumleft:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wear mine around my neck and turn up the volume a little bit so I can hear without having them on. If it is noisy or I am detecting around people I pop them on so they don't have to hear my ACE 250 going off like a doorbell constantly. Make sure to get volume adjustable headphones for your 250, there are no volume controls on the machine itself. I feel bad enough using my propointer around other people.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wingmaster is correct, even with really good hearing, you want hear those really faint signals that you will with headphones....Wind noise and outside noise like people talking will interfere with what you hear, and like spark said it is also easier to ignore a persistent person who keeps asking the same question....."Did you find anything yet?"

He said its a n Ace 250. Can you really tell the difference in tones with the 250? It only has the 2 or 3 tones, not really a spectrum.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
toorude89 said:
He said its a n Ace 250. Can you really tell the difference in tones with the 250? It only has the 2 or 3 tones, not really a spectrum.

A very good point.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 250 and ALL VLF machines I have owned have MANY different types of sounds. Zip-pop, bang, clicks. (and the BONG). Learn the different sounds to better digging! It is all in the SOUND! TTC

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All answers are correct, Also headphones extend battery life at least in my MXT................HH

steveouke

Jun 12, 2012
Rose Hill, KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 with 8 x 11 DD, Garrett PP, Lesche Digging tool, Sampson shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure the headphones you purchase have volume control. When I first started wearing phones I didnt have volume control and almost blew out my ears. The 250 is a loud machine and it is ultra nice to be able to control the volume. I detect alot around traffic and trains which make phones necessity!

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I used my headphones for the first time since getting my Ace 250 from TerryC back in June. (Thanks again Terry)
They worked great! I loved the fine tone separation not available using the speaker.
However, I may have to wait until I can get a MD unit with cordless headphones because the wires were would tend to get tangled up with my wheelchair.
That being said, I had my best two hours since getting back in this game in June. Three clad Quarters and 2 Cents:)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tom. That cord can be a problem! A short cord seems more better, but then, it will be too short when I put the machine down to dig. A long cord seems to get tangled more. What to do!? Maybe you're right... cordless! (You're getting better, Tom! That's called experience!) Success breeds success! Keep at it, my friend. TTC

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bossbear I'm kind of in between. I want my senses and want to hear what my detectors saying so if you have a descent pair of ear cup headphones you can leave one ear uncovered. I've been doing that and can hear my machine well. May not hear every little detail but it's better than nothing if you can't stand being shut out from the world.

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to better tone sensitivity, most of the vets will tell you that headphones will likely extend battery life.
I have not had a chance to test this myself but all else being equal, I say get a set of headphones that cover your ears (not ear buds) and make sure you ahve volume control built into the cable. That allows you to compensate for noisy areas.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I didn't like them at first, but now use them although I modified mine. I have the ones that have big ear pads and sspiral cord. I like the spiral cord cause you dont get tangled-up on it, also I don't want to block outside sounds cause I get nervous about not hearing an approaching black bear or whatever, and to hear the propointer too. So, I taped mine so they dont go directly over the ears but a little above so I can still hear outside sounds. I like the increased battery life and improved detector sounds.

samuel_schumaker

Jan 15, 2008
Holton, Ks
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro w/ Sunray, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
While we are on this topic, i seem to have either a problem with my detector or all 3 pairs of headphones i own. I run an explorer se pro, i use conductive sounds, normal response, volume max limits, variablilty max limits. The problem is with the headphones on there is no flutiness to the tones like there is without headphones by just using the external speaker. It works this way and i didnt even realize it til i was watching a youtube video with a guy using an explorer and i realized that mine didnt sound like his. So i unhooked them and sure enough, it sounds just like its suppose too, nice flutey sounds with lots of variation. As soon as i hook up my headphones the hi pitched signals like silver or copper coins just sound like a high pitch beep instead of a flutey high pitched sound, Its hard to explain, i was using the original koss ur phones that came with the detector new, i have also tried some sony stereo headphones i have and another pair of a friends, they all sound the same, i have tried reducing the volume and gain thinking its just so loud its sounding bad similar to having a radio up too loud. I dont know what to do about it, the detector is a year and a half old, i hve emailed minelab and they say to read my owners manual, lol, i have read it way too many times along with andy's book and trust me its not some kind of setting, im thinking either something is wrong with the headphone jack or its something internal, unless the koss and both other pairs of headphones are so cheap that it makes it sound like a standard beep tone detector similar to whites or garretts. Any ideas anyone? THanks

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a garrett 250 and have been using it for about 6-7 hours without headphones and have been doing alright but I see so many people using them. Im 23 and have good hearing and the display has a signal strength indicator so what are the advantages of using them?

Also, how much better is a leishe (spelling) digging tool compared to a $5 metal gardening shovel?

Since metal detecting is a hearing game, it would behoove you to use a good set of earphones so that you can actually hear and analyze the target. It's the only way to go. My headphones cost half that of an ace250, and mine are sorta cheap. Have you ever listened to your favorite Black Sabbath song thru headphones? If not, try it. Planet Caravan is good, my mom still loves that one. But the headphones take it off the hook!. You can get decent diggers for about twelve beans at Lowes, but leische (spelling?) are very good but I never owned one, I forge and weld my own diggers from old railroad spikes or shovels, and have them carburized and heat treated by a specialty metal shop. I add a bicycle handlebar grip to finish off. Pics soon.

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Killer Bees Stingers, One ear cup, love them, hear my detector and can hear what is going on around me. Gets annoying though when I am getting skunked and my hunting buddy is babbling (look what I found, look what I found):BangHead:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the earphones (don't know the brand name) that have the auto adjuster that tones down a real loud hit. I used earphones for about
10 years, when hunting in the U.S. (I now hunt in S. Korea, and don't need them.) I picked up a lot of deep, soft sounds....but the louder sounds were
a problem. And, now, some years later, I have constant ringing in the ears.....certainly from the use of the headphones. (I like the suggestions about wearing them a little above or below the ears, or only in one ear.)
For a digging tool, if you can get to an Army/Navy surplus and can get a smaller bayonet.....they were made to not break. For cutting a plug, you can't go wrong with a bayonet.
Good luck hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread