Should I Use Headphones?

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
I have a garrett 250 and have been using it for about 6-7 hours without headphones and have been doing alright but I see so many people using them. Im 23 and have good hearing and the display has a signal strength indicator so what are the advantages of using them?

Also, how much better is a leishe (spelling) digging tool compared to a $5 metal gardening shovel?

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With headphones it allows you to hear those real deep faint signals that you wouldn't hear without headphones, you can't really go by the VDI indication on the real deep targets because if its barely picking up the target its not going to VDI spot on either. I've had my lesche four years now and went through alot of other loaners and bought another lesche for a loaner so I wouldn't have to keep replacing the one I lone out. HH

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the headphones. It's easier to ignore people that way, just pretend you can't hear them :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wingmaster is correct, even with really good hearing, you want hear those really faint signals that you will with headphones....Wind noise and outside noise like people talking will interfere with what you hear, and like spark said it is also easier to ignore a persistent person who keeps asking the same question....."Did you find anything yet?"

Last edited:

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the rest of the team here on the use of headphones. Also if you get a tone that alerts you to a target of "really great interest" , say like for example, in the silver spectrum, you are not telling the rest of the world what you just found.

When I started I used my wife's gardening trowels. (Big Big Mistake!) I bent two of them rather quickly on the harder compact ground. The trowels worked well in the often tilled gardens or any lightly compacted soils but,,, get them out in the forest with all those roots and, hard ground conditions and good Lesche will literally "leave them in the dust". A Lesche isn't cheap (unless on special) but given the choice again between the cheaper trowels and purchasing another lesche .. I would buy the lesche. They are tough as old nails :)

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Alright perfect, ill be looking in to headphones a bit more today snd will be purchasing a leishe today for sure. Theyre 35-45 bucks shipped on ebay which isnt bad

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after breaking 2 of our gardening trowels....I picked up the Lesche digger and as previously stated it's tough as old nails, absolutely no regrets here!! :)

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Use the headphones. It's easier to ignore people that way, just pretend you can't hear them :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

I hated head phones when I started, but I wear them to act like I can't hear annoying people that wanna a pain in my butt lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most manufacturers claim you get better battery life while using headphones also.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't use headphones you may well find people out enjoying the fresh air/having a picnic in the park or on a beach will get annoyed at having you nearby "beeping" away.

Battery life should be improved but impedance has to be considered, the headphones have to match the detectors output.

Headphone selection can't be done through a forum. What's best for one detector could be the worse for another. Someone may say the best I've tried on my Ace is brand X but they or you may have a degree of industrial or military hearing loss that has to be taken into account if a detector doesn't have a tone/pitch adjustment on it.

Five minutes detecting next to a busy road or crashing waves on a beach will soon convince you of the importance of headphone use.

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
I'm yet to believe that headphones increase battery life and everytime i ask this question "How" i get no response.So if you would like to try and explain this to me feel welcome to do so.Rich

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason you will get longer battery life by using headphones is because the pa(power amplifier) circuit (parts that drive the speaker) uses more juice than any other circuit in the detector. By using the headphones, you bypass the speaker pa, extending the life of the batteries. TTC

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit using headphones when I almost stepped on a Green Mohave.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, I am uncomfortable using the headphones with my Ace 250 because I hunt alone and I want to hear when people are in the area. But I will give it a try.
Total paranoia is total awareness!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm 61 and without headphones to hear the tone on my M-6 it's hard,and I pay attention to the VDI! God Bless Chris

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use mine around my neck because I still want to hear the rattlesnakes....& when a train flies by or somebody using a lawnmower I can block them out!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use mine around my neck because I still want to hear the rattlesnakes....& when a train flies by or somebody using a lawnmower I can block them out!
You may be a bit younger than me,but,unless your right on top of one you don't hear them unless you have an accute sense of hearing.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tokameel, my friend... and others! Wearing headphones is NOT a requirement! For me, with my hearing as bad as it is, I must wear them. Most would only wear them to get better "whisper" target pick up... or less money for batteries. I wear snakeproof "gators" or the longer chaps when hunting. I have both. I wear the gators in sparce veggetation areas and the full chaps when amongst cactus. They will repel the needles of cactus nicely. Rattlers ARE a problem when I hunt around Rich Hill, AZ. I "pop" the ground and bump weeds alot with my coil while detecting to scare off snakes. Has worked so far. Tom, I can understand the paranoia. In your situation, it is a PLUS. Can't be too careful. Ok, sorry for highjacking the thread, people. (Take care, Tom) TTC

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a set of Rattler headphones. They only have one earcup so you can still hear the outside world. I really like them a lot. I'm not concerned about snakes. My issue is hunting in the woods I like to hear what is around me.

-Swartzie

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a set of Rattler headphones. They only have one earcup so you can still hear the outside world. I really like them a lot. I'm not concerned about snakes. My issue is hunting in the woods I like to hear what is around me.

-Swartzie
I visually scan where ever I am! I can't hear it, I SEE IT!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread