COIL FIELD TESTING? ***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I JUST READ A FIELD TEST REPORT ON A 9"X14" coil. I could not believe the way it was done.
The coil was placed on a high end detector and used on "hunted out areas". It found several grams of nuggets. The coil cost $600+.
Now here's my point. Conditions like moisture change from day to day, and there is no telling if he hit the exact spot another detector went over. He should have Hit and marked several locations with the test coil then replaced the coil with the standard coil and ran it over the marked areas to see if it picked up the target. Then he could check the targets to verify item picked up.
This test was a comparison of a high end coil using a high end detector to who knows what under unknown conditions. Frank

Attachments

• Tarot.jpg
    Tarot.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of Britains "leading" detectorists didn't like test beds one bit. He used the "only fair way to tell if one detector was better than another". He would go to a corner of a site only he was allowed to detect on. If he made more finds the lastest machine was better than the one used before.

Question is what happens if all the finds have in fact been found and removed from that area ? The latest machine could be far deeper but find nothing.

Perhaps Detecting Federations should set out a few rules that should be followed when testing any new equipment. As you say you really need tests done on the same targets/same ground and ground conditions. Not exactly rocket science.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread