Another Newbie

SnowQueen

Jan 6, 2005
Hi, I will be purchasing MD within a week and I am debating buying a used Whites Classic 4000 or buying a new one.? I will be doing multi purpose hunting and need a very light weight machine due to physical limitations.? Also, I just saw another post and am wondering what type of MDs work good in red clay and marsh as well. Does anyone have any opinions to offer?? Many thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You apariently asked a tough question? :D I personally have no expierence with red clay, but I would think most detectors out there would handle the marsh. you don't say how much you'r willing to spend, but, I would go from there & decide weather to get a higher end used or lower end new detector. sometimes less expensive is better IF your not shure your going to like this hobby, and for learning, but most get HOOKED real fast & then want to trade up. HOPEFULLY someone here can give you a little more advice on the red clay thing. GOOD LUCK ; Jeff

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
Steve from Michigan here snowqueen-welcome to the show.I have detected in blue clay,never red.But,I can say from experience,it is tough to dig in;but the old silver I have dug out of the clay seems to keep most of the corrosion off of the coins.I use Whites detectors;I assume any of the name-brands will work.You might try contacting Kellyco in Florida-1-800 327-9697,or www.kellycodetectors.com They might be able to steer you in the right direction. 8)

tunatango

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2005
Snow Queen, I have a bounty hunter 505, and it is very light. I have a sholder problem and it did not seam to affect it like I thought it would. I would check into them before you purchase....I was a bit confused with mine but I think I understand it now. Have fun and happy hunting....

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with a White's 4000. Could it be a classic IV? If so this is an excellent machine. However if you're looking for lighter weight I suggest you check out the Tesoro Micromax line of detectors that weight in at around 2.5 lbs. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread