I am wanting to start detecting i am 13

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you'd definitely be hunting for a good used one. My opinion would be to search craigslist and watch your local papers and yard sales. If you find one that you would like some more information on I would come back and ask about a specific one.

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of posts down, DeepThought posted about a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV new for 67.00.
Hear that they are a decent starter machine.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well it doesn't have a lot of "frills" or a fancy visual type display the meter on it- is fairly useless , so forget about it -- but as a "tones"type ( sound based machine) -the tracker IV (4) bounty hunter --is a good but older tech type machine --the fact that it is still made while many of the older tech machines aren't is a statement of its bang for the buck value and ease of use -- if possible get the older type one with the "knobs" rather than the more modern push pad type as the knobs allow for "finer" adjustments -- it has 2 knobs and a 3 position toggle "mode' switch -- 1st position is "all metal" it find any and all metal and gives (one tone / sound) since all you want to do is find any and all metal -- 2nd position is "tone" mode --it culls out small iron trash type items automatically --large iron will still "hit" with a flat tone as will mid tone gold /aluminum and high tone (coins and silver)--the 3rd position is "discrimation" mode which allows you to set the cut off point for finding metals --the higher you go the more metal items will fall out --it starts at the low end with iron and runs up the scale to silver --there is a set pattern that metals fall out of detection at --iron , gold/aluminum , zinc/ bronze , copper , clad coins ,silver ==some items "share the same or very close "electrical conductivity ranges" which is how metal detectors figger out what its found -- if one correct calibrates the tracker 4 using a pulltab and a gold item one can often split them apart -- do this by starting with the tracker IV in discrimate mode and the power knob at about 50% and the disc level knob at "0"-- wave the pull tab in front of the coil while slowly uping the disc level until it no longer "rings up"--then test it with the gold item if it "rings up your good to go --if not very very slowly drop the disc level until it does "ring up" -- now listin very closely --wave the gold it should "ping" crisply whil;e the pulltab should sould crackly or fuzzy --not sharp like the gold -- the tracker $ is a fine "sounds" based machine even if its a older "no visual display" type machine.

a machine that is a bit more cost but is quite good in my veiw is the $279 dollar -its very light and easy to use -the delta 4000 by teknetics --it as a 0 to 99 numbers type visual display and a depth guide -- it guesses at what mtall its found and the depth its at--- based upon the "electrical conductivity" return the machine gets from what its "found" ==of course no machine is a 100% perfect guesser but some are better guessers due to advanced circuits built into them , but no machine is perfect of course. --part of the game is learning to figger out just wghat your machine is trying to tell you.--it can not lie --it just guesses "wrong" --some are just better guesses than others.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont break the bank 9 Function Metal Detector this will get you started just fine. Its not the best built but from the reviews Ive seen people giving to it this does a good job on finding coins and rings and such. Take care of it and keep it dry and it will work great for you for many years.

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if ur local dealer has some used ones or if they have a layaway won't hurt but I don't know as much as some of the folks on here I use a ace 250 love it and I am fairly new. Read a lot of these post in the different sections you will learn a lot

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first .02 cents is only buy a new one if sight unseen. If something is wrong with it, then YOU will have to pay more on having it fixed.

My second .02 cents is a used detector is the way to go IF you can test it out before you buy.

If you have to buy sight unseen, I would only get a Garrett detector because, (in my book) they have the best costumer service.

I have no gripes with my ace 250. Easy to use, light weight, and works good. $100 more than your budget shouldn’t be that hard to raise, for a new one.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recomend the Tesoro Compadre. $160 new with a LIFETIME warrenty. No screen, just beep and dig. It does have a discrimination knob that you can use to disriminate out some unwanted targets but sometimes those "unwanted" targets turn out to be the best finds. I set it above Iiron an dig everything else. I took a friend out last week that had never detected. Lent him my Compadre. He got about $5 in change, 2 sterling rings,a pair of sterling earings, and several pieces of junk jewelry. I "moved up" to a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq and didn't do as good. I have found silver Spanish Reales, Gold rings and lots of other great stuff with the Compadre.The Compadre is 2.2 pounds and HAS A LIFETIME WARRENTY. Nobody else has as good of a warrenty. Where are you located? steve

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
two other really important items to have is a decent digger and a pin pointer -- a blue handled garden metal type trowel for grassy type areas and a plastic non metal type for sandy or beach type areas are good to have --the non metal type you can stick right in front of the coil to see if your "find"is in the "sand" in the dirt in the trowel --a pin pointer is great to see if the item is in the hole bottom or "in the walls of the hole" or in the dirt pile you removed from the hole.--and is a great time saver.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask what to get and you will get a thousand and one answers. Really though you just need a good general name brand machine, a trowel, and a place to start learning...starting with your yard. There are a ton of good used detectors out there. Auction Houses that run weekly or bi-monthly auctions are one good place to keep a watch on. So are Pawn Shops. I've seen machines in pawn shops that look like they don't know what dirt is. Also keep an eye on Garage sale ads. Once you think you've found a good machine, post a question here to see if it's a good one.

Generally you can't go wrong sticking with the major brands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread