is a rd 312 worth using

uknation

Sep 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My prior job was locating underground utilities and they gave me a rd 312 for finding buried manhole covers. Is this viable to use as a metal detector. It will pick up rings and coins with the air test. I used it in the yard and got a piece of a can. I just dont know how well it would work with buried coins and such and how deep. There are no settings on it just on and off.

Upvote 0

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look it up on the internet and see what it does......the internet does wonders

OP
OP
U

uknation

Sep 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I can find online is that is for finding manhole covers and valve boxes and that it costs 360.00

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it would be a dig every thing type of detector......It is close to the Fisher Labs 2100 and the fx3...........look that up in the fisher web site.. ............. But you could sell it on Ebay..... and use the money towards a detector that would serve you better...

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kebby made the right call. Sell it and use the money towards a "proper" detector. You really need some degree of adjustable discrimination, sensitivity to small items such as coins and rings "in ground", ground balance to enable best use on most sites etc.

Your detector was designed for a specific task but this makes it not the best choice for what you now want to do.

OP
OP
U

uknation

Sep 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and I appreciate the input on the rd 312. I purchased a tracker iv and now am in the process of learning how to use it. I know it is not the best detector but I think it was worth while for 60 dollars. I caught it on sale at hobby lobby. Now I am in the process of researching to find a worthwhile spot. Does anyone know a good spot near Rock Hill, SC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread