Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By ticm
  • 2 Post By Tom_in_CA
  • 1 Post By norbyx

Thread: How deep do you go?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2012
    harrisburg, pa
    garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
    17 times

How deep do you go?

I am newer to the hobby, and i was in a local park today, and i am just wondering how deep do you guys dig in parks? I was only digging 4-6" due to the park being shared by everyone.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rossman85
    I am newer to the hobby, and i was in a local park today, and i am just wondering how deep do you guys dig in parks? I was only digging 4-6" due to the park being shared by everyone.
    As far as needed.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1505 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    rossman, about the deepest I've gone for older coins in parks is 9". To get 10" on a coin sized object, with any discriminating detector, is quite a feat. Perhaps a quarter to 10", if you have an un-obstructed view, and a half to 11", etc...). Certainly there are machines that can get a coin-sized target deeper, but once you go beyond depths like that, you're talking all-metal, or very very poor TID's (gonna get fooled by wierd teensy stuff, etc...). But typically, not more than 8", .... or 9" if I'm really grasping for deep turf silver.

You say you didn't want to go deeper, : ".....due to the park being shared by everyone ....". A word of advice to you, since you're new in the hobby: If the park is filled with regular park-goer traffic, .... is NOT the time to go turf hunting. You need to pick a little bit more .... uh .... discreet times. Like before 8am, or after 5pm, etc... Once beach blankets, and frolicking park goers start to be lookie-lous, is not the time to be going for turf deepies. Not that there's anything illegal about it mind you (since you plan to leave no trace), but ....... you have to keep in mind you're in an odd hobby that draws lookie lous, and has connotations (that you might leave a mess). So the best time for md'ing, is in low traffic times, where you need not fear the gaze of the "everyone" you allude to.
    Lady Pirate and mrmackin like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Dete
    854 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Once you've cut a trap door or plug, what difference does it make how deep you go? It's just a little more dirt to remove and replace.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    138 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    As deep as my detector let's me. I agree that if you have your plug cut there is no difference on how dip you will go after. As long as you collect all your dirt in a cloth of some kind and don't make a mess out of your digging I doubt there can be any issues.

us
    May 2012
    harrisburg, pa
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
    As deep as my detector let's me. I agree that if you have your plug cut there is no difference on how dip you will go after. As long as you collect all your dirt in a cloth of some kind and don't make a mess out of your digging I doubt there can be any issues.
    I definitely kept my plugs clean, as I don't want to ruin the hobby for others in the future.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    138 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Quote Originally Posted by rossman85

I definitely kept my plugs clean, as I don't want to ruin the hobby for others in the future.
    Well done,
    And thanks from every metal detectorist

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    mrmackin likes this.

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Grundy VA
    Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
    190 times
    Im the type of person that will dig a pull tab at 3 feet if i can find it and the area is old enough...Not that ive ever found a pulltab at three feet but if i ever did,You can bet your money id most likely dig it up.Like i said,Id dig a hole so deep that id be trespassing on the devils land if i thought there was a good target down there.
    Last edited by LuckyThirteen08; Sep 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
    We all know jesus rode a shovelhead,Thats why he walked everywhere he went!!!

us
    May 2012
    harrisburg, pa
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen08
    Im the type of person that will dig a pull tab at 3 feet if i can find it and the area is old enough...Not that ive ever found a pulltab at three feet but if i ever did,You can bet your money id most likely dig it up.Like i said,Id dig a hole so deep that id be trespassing on the devils land if i thought there was a good target down there.
    I dont think i could do that to a park, but some old wooded homesteads for sure

us
    Dec 2008
    South Korea
    Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
    14 times
    You have to make a judgment about the depth.....dig until you get uncomfortable, then quit. The suggestion about the time was also good. When I
    hunted parks in the States, I went out at about 11 p.m. or 12 midnight....to begin my hunt. But, I always had someone else with me, to ride shotgun. But,
    most people steer clear of the parks at night, for obvious reasons. So, should have no problem digging. Good comments about keeping the area clean, too.
    Leave the area so you can go back later, and no one will say anything to you.
    (When hunting at night, I would always use headphones, and wear dark clothing. Did not use a light....just let my eyes become adjusted to the dark.
    For sure, take someone else with you.)
    Can't find it if you're watching tv at home, your machine isn't on, and the head of your detector is pointed up!!

us
    Sep 2012
    Owensville In
    Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by norbyx

Well done,
    And thanks from every metal detectorist

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
    That's for sure. HUGE THANKS! I went to a big park yesterday and seen hole after hole left open with can slaw or other junk laying right on top. Whoever it was left the hole and the trash. I cleaned up every one I seen before its reported and they enforce a ban because of lazy mders ruining it for everyone.

us
    John

Sep 2012
    Grundy VA
    Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
    190 times
    I never leave a hole open,We had that problem with some group from out of state last year,They left so many holes behind that alot of our normal spots are no longer open for metal detecting,I believe you should always leave a site as good or better than when you found it.
    We all know jesus rode a shovelhead,Thats why he walked everywhere he went!!!

ca
    Sep 2012
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Tesoro Outlaw
    1 times
    My depth depends on soil conditions. Right now we have been without rain for quite some time and most of the areas I've been hitting are getting really hard to cut into. Even if you go after-hours, when digging in a public park I like to spread out a canvas rag next to a dig spot. I roll back the plug and then any additional dirt goes on the rag. When I'm done, it all goes back in the hole and then stamp down the plug. Good as new. Otherwise it will take weeks (and a rain) for that fresh black dirt to dissolve away. Try and keep public areas pretty.

us
    May 2012
    harrisburg, pa
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hikeinmts
    You have to make a judgment about the depth.....dig until you get uncomfortable, then quit. The suggestion about the time was also good. When I
    hunted parks in the States, I went out at about 11 p.m. or 12 midnight....to begin my hunt. But, I always had someone else with me, to ride shotgun. But,
    most people steer clear of the parks at night, for obvious reasons. So, should have no problem digging. Good comments about keeping the area clean, too.
    Leave the area so you can go back later, and no one will say anything to you.
    (When hunting at night, I would always use headphones, and wear dark clothing. Did not use a light....just let my eyes become adjusted to the dark.
    For sure, take someone else with you.)
    Around pa here most parks, local or state, are open dawn to dusk

us
    Mar 2006
    Wilmington, DE
    Garrett GTAX400, Ace350
    I found that starting really early in the morning is best for parks. I mean just past dawn. Long about 9 am I get too many watchers, especially kids.

Sponsors