How deep do you go?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
rossman85 said:
I am newer to the hobby, and i was in a local park today, and i am just wondering how deep do you guys dig in parks? I was only digging 4-6" due to the park being shared by everyone.

As far as needed.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
rossman, about the deepest I've gone for older coins in parks is 9". To get 10" on a coin sized object, with any discriminating detector, is quite a feat. Perhaps a quarter to 10", if you have an un-obstructed view, and a half to 11", etc...). Certainly there are machines that can get a coin-sized target deeper, but once you go beyond depths like that, you're talking all-metal, or very very poor TID's (gonna get fooled by wierd teensy stuff, etc...). But typically, not more than 8", .... or 9" if I'm really grasping for deep turf silver.

You say you didn't want to go deeper, : ".....due to the park being shared by everyone ....". A word of advice to you, since you're new in the hobby: If the park is filled with regular park-goer traffic, .... is NOT the time to go turf hunting. You need to pick a little bit more .... uh .... discreet times. Like before 8am, or after 5pm, etc... Once beach blankets, and frolicking park goers start to be lookie-lous, is not the time to be going for turf deepies. Not that there's anything illegal about it mind you (since you plan to leave no trace), but ....... you have to keep in mind you're in an odd hobby that draws lookie lous, and has connotations (that you might leave a mess). So the best time for md'ing, is in low traffic times, where you need not fear the gaze of the "everyone" you allude to. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you've cut a trap door or plug, what difference does it make how deep you go? It's just a little more dirt to remove and replace.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
As deep as my detector let's me. I agree that if you have your plug cut there is no difference on how dip you will go after. As long as you collect all your dirt in a cloth of some kind and don't make a mess out of your digging I doubt there can be any issues.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
As deep as my detector let's me. I agree that if you have your plug cut there is no difference on how dip you will go after. As long as you collect all your dirt in a cloth of some kind and don't make a mess out of your digging I doubt there can be any issues.

I definitely kept my plugs clean, as I don't want to ruin the hobby for others in the future.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
rossman85 said:
I definitely kept my plugs clean, as I don't want to ruin the hobby for others in the future.

Well done,
And thanks from every metal detectorist

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im the type of person that will dig a pull tab at 3 feet if i can find it and the area is old enough...Not that ive ever found a pulltab at three feet but if i ever did,You can bet your money id most likely dig it up.Like i said,Id dig a hole so deep that id be trespassing on the devils land if i thought there was a good target down there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
LuckyThirteen08 said:
Im the type of person that will dig a pull tab at 3 feet if i can find it and the area is old enough...Not that ive ever found a pulltab at three feet but if i ever did,You can bet your money id most likely dig it up.Like i said,Id dig a hole so deep that id be trespassing on the devils land if i thought there was a good target down there.

I dont think i could do that to a park, but some old wooded homesteads for sure

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to make a judgment about the depth.....dig until you get uncomfortable, then quit. The suggestion about the time was also good. When I
hunted parks in the States, I went out at about 11 p.m. or 12 midnight....to begin my hunt. But, I always had someone else with me, to ride shotgun. But,
most people steer clear of the parks at night, for obvious reasons. So, should have no problem digging. Good comments about keeping the area clean, too.
Leave the area so you can go back later, and no one will say anything to you.
(When hunting at night, I would always use headphones, and wear dark clothing. Did not use a light....just let my eyes become adjusted to the dark.
For sure, take someone else with you.)

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
norbyx said:
Well done,
And thanks from every metal detectorist

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

That's for sure. HUGE THANKS! I went to a big park yesterday and seen hole after hole left open with can slaw or other junk laying right on top. Whoever it was left the hole and the trash. I cleaned up every one I seen before its reported and they enforce a ban because of lazy mders ruining it for everyone.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never leave a hole open,We had that problem with some group from out of state last year,They left so many holes behind that alot of our normal spots are no longer open for metal detecting,I believe you should always leave a site as good or better than when you found it.

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My depth depends on soil conditions. Right now we have been without rain for quite some time and most of the areas I've been hitting are getting really hard to cut into. Even if you go after-hours, when digging in a public park I like to spread out a canvas rag next to a dig spot. I roll back the plug and then any additional dirt goes on the rag. When I'm done, it all goes back in the hole and then stamp down the plug. Good as new. Otherwise it will take weeks (and a rain) for that fresh black dirt to dissolve away. Try and keep public areas pretty.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
hikeinmts said:
You have to make a judgment about the depth.....dig until you get uncomfortable, then quit. The suggestion about the time was also good. When I
hunted parks in the States, I went out at about 11 p.m. or 12 midnight....to begin my hunt. But, I always had someone else with me, to ride shotgun. But,
most people steer clear of the parks at night, for obvious reasons. So, should have no problem digging. Good comments about keeping the area clean, too.
Leave the area so you can go back later, and no one will say anything to you.
(When hunting at night, I would always use headphones, and wear dark clothing. Did not use a light....just let my eyes become adjusted to the dark.
For sure, take someone else with you.)

Around pa here most parks, local or state, are open dawn to dusk

Del Digger

Mar 22, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett GTAX400, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found that starting really early in the morning is best for parks. I mean just past dawn. Long about 9 am I get too many watchers, especially kids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions