PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I was up in the mountains and running the Garrett AT Pro around on the side of a mountain. There were a lot of readings but the odd thing was that two readings kept hitting constantly. It was Number 35 on the Garrett Scale (iron) and number 53. The # 53 reading would always show at about 10 inches.

I ground balanced the machine to alleviate mineralization and all. But, that # 53 kept coming up every ten feet or so. The number is in that range for gold rings. I dug once or twice but did not find anything.

Should I have discriminated that number out or is there a possibility it was something else? i.e. gold nuggets, etc.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have had the AT Pro for about a month and am still trying to figure out how to use that and the double D coil.

Thanks,

Patrick

Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most small gold nuggets read in the 40 - 60 range. But some tiny ones will not even give an ID number. And some will read lower if they are near a hot rock. It's not likely that every target you passed up with the same "53" reading is a nugget, but it's a lot better if you find the target and see what you got. Try to analyze the size and strength, depth, tone, iron audio, etc. before digging and you will begin to learn. But at first dig as many targets as possible. A pinpointer can come in handy when you are learning the double d coil. Targets on edge, usually on the wall of the hole can be hard to find without one.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was falsing...lower the sensitivity.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
53 on my wifes at is nearly always a pull tab

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown gives good advice, the sensitivity will need to be adjusted for trashy areas as well as high mineral. I dont know salt with the atpro. But gb is dead on with the atpro, and this will help too. Just remember, no matter what the id or depth says, it's all in your ears and a good target will beep beep beep beep tight enough to decide that yes, this is a target, it could be a pulltab or chunk of can slaw or gold ring but yes, you know it is a target and after you are done carefully pinpointing it you can almost bet how big it is and how deep it is, and after a while, you will be able to guess what it is, all by listening to it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookindown and Gleaner give good advice. Listen to them.:icon_thumright:

donroar

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Torrington CT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my AT Pro, a 53 on the meter is always a clad nickel. A pull tab can dance around anywhere from 50 to 52 but a nickel is always 53. You were getting some kind of false reading. Just drop the sensitivity and keep swinging. Since some jewelry items would ring in that range, I wouldn't discriminate it out. Dig every signal and let the machine tell you what is under the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions