John5mindy

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 Metal Detector with 8.5"x11" Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

My wife and i are new to Metal Detecting and were trying to find some good places to go. We just purchased our first metal detector and are mainly doing it as a hobby and a reason to get out of the house and be together, but... of course we want to find some good stuff! Just wandering if anyone knows any good sites near us? We live right in the middle of Montgomery County, MD. This saturday were going to great falls to search around there.

thanks!
-John

Upvote 0

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There were gold mines near Great Falls. You can find it on the river banks all the way down to Cabin John Bridge from Great Falls. Stay off the federal land! Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
John5mindy said:
Hello all,

My wife and i are new to Metal Detecting and were trying to find some good places to go. We just purchased our first metal detector and are mainly doing it as a hobby and a reason to get out of the house and be together, but... of course we want to find some good stuff! Just wandering if anyone knows any good sites near us? We live right in the middle of Montgomery County, MD. This saturday were going to great falls to search around there.

thanks!
-John

Check around the big oak tree in the vacant lot in the middle of town.

OP
OP
J

John5mindy

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 Metal Detector with 8.5"x11" Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the federal land marked?

Brandon

Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know of any clubs that would be worth joining, or any new clubs that may be starting up soon?

MDTREASURE

Aug 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Folks, I'm new to the forum.
I live in Montgomery County, Maryland.
I did some metal detecting as a teenager, and lately, I have a renewed interest in the hobby.
I don't have a metal detector yet, I'm still researching on which one to get.
I found out some bad news about detecting in Montgomery County Parks.
I called the Parks and Planning Commission to inquire about getting a permit.
I heard that permits were $25.
The guy told me that only archeological groups can obtain a permit.
It is ILLEGAL for anyone to use a metal detector in any of the county parks, and there is no way
for an individual to obtain a permit.
Bummer.

John5Mindy:
Be careful. I think that Great Falls and the C&O canal system is a National Park.
They could arrest you and take your detector if the cop isn't nice.

Last edited:

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Federal labd is tricky because so much of it is unmarked. You can drive for just a few miles and go from state land to federal and back to state and never realize you went through the "invisible" line. I would concentrate on private (permission first) and city parks primarily to get a handle of your machine before going on a large hunting expedition. Just my recommendation. Good luck and welcome.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Screw looking for pocket change in 'parks'. Maryland has some of the earliest European habitation in the entire United States. You are in one of the best places for MD'ing historic relics.

Some years ago, we were attached to Red Cross during their disaster relief mission after Hurricane Isabel. Did extensive traveling in DelMarVa, mostly on Marylands eastern shore in areas that were pretty light on habitation. That place is an effing goldmine of MD'ing spots. It was absolutely nothing to encounter people still living in 18th C homes, you'd see remnants of 18th and 19th Century farmsteads all over the place... If land MD'ing is your thing, you could spend 10 lifetimes out there hitting only intelligently selected locations and not even scratch the surface of whats available.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
MD-treasure, just curious: Where did you hear that a) it was illegal for anyone to use a detector in county parks? What I mean is: have you actually seen that written somewhere? Or was this the answer some desk clerk gave you when you perhaps called and asked "can I metal detect?". Because ... unfortunately, .... sometimes people have fetched themselves a "no" or "it's not allowed" type of answer, when, truth be told, that's not really written anywhere that says that. They might morph something else to apply to your question, because they think you'll harm something, or violate lost & found laws, or ....... who knows? As for the "permit", where did you hear, prior to going in to the county, that such a "permit" existed? Perhaps if there *is* a "permit", it's only talking about permits for archaeology (like if you're intending to do a 4 x 4 ft. pit for a university/archie study, etc...), but ... that has nothing to do with recreational/hobbyists looking for modern change in the sandbox.

In other words, perhaps your question got COUCHED by whomever you were asking, in terms of salvor/archie type things, (in which case, sure, there might be a "permit" for such a thing), while in fact, it was never meant to apply to fumble fingers modern losses, where you're not tromping in sensitive historical monuments ?

I may be wrong. Sure.... there may be an "actual rule" that specifically says "no metal detecting". And that the "permit" you speak of might indeed specify for casual hobbyist md'ing (Which is odd, if no one but an archie can get it :icon_scratch:, since when do they metal detect? :icon_scratch:).

Anyhow, let us know where you heard md'ing was off-limits, and what the actual county wording says about this "permit". Because it's possible you might have simply been the latest victim of "no one cared, till you asked" routine

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's and old saying...... Something about a pot and a kettle......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

LM, I dunno if you read in my post, but here's what I said (cut & pasted here):

"I may be wrong. Sure.... there may be an "actual rule" that specifically says "no metal detecting". And that the "permit" you speak of might indeed specify for casual hobbyist md'ing"

Yes, I could have googled it, and probably should have.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There's and old saying...... Something about a pot and a kettle......

Have you ever made a single post that actually contributed something useful to the conversation?

Tlindsay

Mar 17, 2014
Glen Burnie, MD
Detector(s) used
ATpro, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could anyone help me with some advice, I'm looking to get a nice detector and was consindering the Garrett ATpro. What are your thoughts on the ATpro or would you suggest something different. I would like to stay under $1,400.00 but want something that works really good and will for some time.

I appreciate any information you may have to offer.

Thanks!

Tim Lindsay

DCRJerry

Greenie
Nov 30, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ProPointer
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tlindsay I use an AT Pro and love it. Great features for the price. I just wish I had more solid land to detect locally. I still find clad 8-10" deep. The silver probably made its way to China by now:laughing7:

I'm on the other side of the Key Bridge from you.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello what does a garret ace 150 register gold under? Iron,nickel, p tab, ring, or coin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread