How to find a Treasure Site in any state.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why are you hunting public parks when there are virgin sites out there that have never had a metal detector waved over it. Here are some tips to get started. Become a member of the local historical society and tell them you want to be their field operator for old home sites, old bottle dumps, ect. You'll probably have more sites then you can possibly hunt, get your hunting buddies involved. Give a percentage of your finds to the historical society museum with your name as the finder. Something you can point out to your kids or grandkids. These are some of the things you can be doing when it's too dang cold to be metal detecting.
Ask the historical society who the oldest residents are still living who were born there. Should be a few of them. Go interview them and ask such things as where did teens go for picnics, lovers lane, swimming holes, dances and such. Many people didn't trust banks after the Depression and may have buried their money and died before it was recovered. Maybe Gangsters robbed the bank and the money was hidden and never recovered. Let them talk about the good old days. Either take notes or record it then write it down later. I interviewed an old timer that told me about a lot of treasure sites in Florida. I read every library book that had to do with Central Florida and if it smelled like treasure, I wrote it down. When I had about 300 sites, I wrote my first book "Where to Metal Detect in Central Florida". It was first published in 1991 and its still being sold today and probably will be long after I'm gone too.

Go to the County Seat Tax office and ask for the old Government Survey Maps to find pioneer cabins, crossroads, stage stations, ferry crossings, villages that are today extinct. Find something interesting then the tax office can pinpoint on modern map and tell you who owns it so permission can be sought. I found a bottle dump in an old city lot that once belonged to a Lumber Baron in the 1880. That was a lot of fun digging up history and many of the bottles are in 3 museums.

Use the Internet Search engine. Use a title like History of ?? town. Try surrounding towns, use your imagination. How do you think these TH'ers find a George Washington Inaugural Button or a $20 gold piece hidden in a old tobacco can hidden in a stone wall. Or a Morgan Silver dollar placed under the hearth of a old chimney for good luck. You will dig a ton of junk but that one diamond in the rough will be found and your heart will be singing.

When you make that great find, write about it and send in a photo. I've been hunting since 1972, 40 years and I don't have any kids to pass on this information so I pass it to you.
I hope you find a Mother Lode. 8-)

Upvote 1

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm, Bet he knows what "milspec" means. And you wouldn't even watch the video.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, Try the "little" book stores that will have the books done by local historians. And, it has certainly been said MANY times, look up the older people of the community. They LOVE to talk about the way it was! TTC

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you hunting public parks when there are virgin sites out there that have never had a metal detector waved over it. Here are some tips to get started. Become a member of the local historical society and tell them you want to be their field operator for old home sites, old bottle dumps, ect. You'll probably have more sites then you can possibly hunt, get your hunting buddies involved. Give a percentage of your finds to the historical society museum with your name as the finder. Something you can point out to your kids or grandkids. These are some of the things you can be doing when it's too dang cold to be metal detecting.
Ask the historical society who the oldest residents are still living who were born there. Should be a few of them. Go interview them and ask such things as where did teens go for picnics, lovers lane, swimming holes, dances and such. Many people didn't trust banks after the Depression and may have buried their money and died before it was recovered. Maybe Gangsters robbed the bank and the money was hidden and never recovered. Let them talk about the good old days. Either take notes or record it then write it down later. I interviewed an old timer that told me about a lot of treasure sites in Florida. I read every library book that had to do with Central Florida and if it smelled like treasure, I wrote it down. When I had about 300 sites, I wrote my first book "Where to Metal Detect in Central Florida". It was first published in 1991 and its still being sold today and probably will be long after I'm gone too.

Go to the County Seat Tax office and ask for the old Government Survey Maps to find pioneer cabins, crossroads, stage stations, ferry crossings, villages that are today extinct. Find something interesting then the tax office can pinpoint on modern map and tell you who owns it so permission can be sought. I found a bottle dump in an old city lot that once belonged to a Lumber Baron in the 1880. That was a lot of fun digging up history and many of the bottles are in 3 museums.

Use the Internet Search engine. Use a title like History of ?? town. Try surrounding towns, use your imagination. How do you think these TH'ers find a George Washington Inaugural Button or a $20 gold piece hidden in a old tobacco can hidden in a stone wall. Or a Morgan Silver dollar placed under the hearth of a old chimney for good luck. You will dig a ton of junk but that one diamond in the rough will be found and your heart will be singing.

When you make that great find, write about it and send in a photo. I've been hunting since 1972, 40 years and I don't have any kids to pass on this information so I pass it to you.
I hope you find a Mother Lode. 8-)
Thanks for the info...Most here will appreciate it!

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"MIL-SPEC": A United States defense standard, often called a military standard, "MIL-STD", "MIL-SPEC", or (informally) "MilSpecs", is used to help achieve standardization objectives by the U.S. Department of Defense. Wikipedia Translation

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great info! Thank you for posting! I recently read about a town near me that wants to start a historical society, through city council meeting memos that are posted on their web page. Always thought they would frown on MD'ers volunteering to help them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yup. It works for me too :) I docent at two different museums (requires just a 6 hr. committment per month), and as such ..... have my greedy little fingers "carte blanche" to their resources :) Also seems to open-up doors for permission at places you introduce yourself to. You know, to say "I'm a historian tour guide at the such & such museum, doing research on your site here", blah blah .

krustypuff

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2012
everett
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im on phone now with my auditors office as well as planning. If you want building info talk to the planning dept. My auditor only has parcel maps no structure info.

Thank you for great info.

krustypuff

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2012
everett
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Www.edrnet.com

Carries sandborn insurance maps dating to 1865. 50 in scale also show what buildings wrre made of and outhouse locations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread