Medal Dector

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your best bet for the money would be a Tesoro Compadre. You can usually find a nice used one on the big auction site for about $100.00. They are a quality detector with a lifetime factory warranty.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Check Craigslist....

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of the major brands have good machines you can find at a good price used. Those brands include Tesoro, White's Garrett, Fishers, Minelab, and other's you'll find on this site and in Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine (a must have every month).

As far as where to find a good machine at a good price...Pawn Shops--not a regular items these shops have so use your fingers to do the walking (call or e-mail) every week or so, auctions--again not a regular item that shows up but when they do you can get one hell of a bargain, yard sales, or if you are really lucky a dedicated metal detector shop in your area.

As far as brands I love Tesoro and White's is in second place. Though as I said before you'll find good machines with all the major brands.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a very common question asked here. You could look for a club close to you and see if anyone has a loaner to get you started. My first detector was a Bounty Hunter, pretty much a beep and dig machine. I soon was wanting more. What I see, is the more you can afford, the more detector you will get. Kellyco has a "Compare Detector" option. You may want to start there and learn all the options. If you are buying new, try a company like Kellyco, you will have service and support. But there is many slightly used machines on Ebay. Some folks soon loose interest. I started out with a magnet on a stick looking for meteorites. I now have a arsenal tools, to include a few metal detectors for all types of hunting. Last, if you are looking for gold, you will want a gold machine. I would suggest saving some more cash and getting the waterproof AT Pro. At least use it as a standard to compare your next purchase. I dont own one but wish it had been my first machine. I recently opted for a used F75 as it would serve my purpose better. But I want to get the wife the AT Pro. Good Luck, let us know what you decide.

jaggaz KY

Sep 14, 2012
I would suggest on with a depth indicator and a good discrimination feature. I have a cheap line star and it sound the same on a screw as it sounds on a gold ring so I have to dig everything

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Im not sure you guys are typing to anyone. Poster came in, one post and gone.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ACE 250 or AT Pro....those are my votes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread