Kids

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap, yes. Work good? Has some decent reviews. Bounty Hunter Jr., Walmart, Radio Shack-$58-$59

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro Compadre...... Runs about $160.00 and has a good resale value.......The bounty hunter & Radio shack detectors have no resale value...

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the Compadre is a very good suggestion, as well as the Silver Umax. My son (8) tried the Umax and liked it but decided to stick with the Fisher F2 as he liked the VDI, he's a bit stubborn like his daddy because I would not suggest the F2 for that age group, as the arm set up is not to great for a child.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Fisher F2 is pretty much the same as a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200. The Fisher F4 is pretty much the same as a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 (The F4 comes with a DD coil, the 3300 comes with a concentric coil). The software in the Fishers are slightly more feature rich, but nothing dramatically different.

Both the 2200 and 3300 are great first detectors. Plan to keep them as spares after you upgrade. I have one of each and I use them to teach people how to metal detect with. I don't see why a kid would not be able to use one - they are very lightweight. I also have a Tesoro Compadre - it's much more sensitive to small gold chains and jewelry, but most people like the VDI display when they are starting out. Personally, I find that the VDI tends to make you skip over good targets that happen to be right next to bad targets (giving you a junk reading). Long term, you are better off listening for targets than consulting a VDI display, but that takes time to develop as a skill.

The low end Bounty Hunters are cheap toys but not worth much for Metal Detecting with - some of them couldn't find a metal car in parking lot. The midrange and above are fine.

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you say cheap you need to suggest a price.....cheap for me may not be the same as cheap for you... Garretts ACE250 is a good starting point.But at about $250.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U can get a used ace250 off eBay or even craigslist pretty cheap or a new one on amazon for 212. It has an adjustable shaft so u can shorten it up pretty short for a younger kid.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what most are trying to say is get something decent at a lower price point that your child can grow with and still use for years to come. If he likes the hobby, he can always upgrade at a later date :icon_thumright: If he doesn't like the hobby then you'll have a detector, and probably get into it instead of looking through boxes of coins :tongue3:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your looking for cheap then first think used! The used market is big & you can save some serious bucks on a pre owned detector. Any in the $250 range new can be found for close to 1/2 price on eBay & CL. The Ace 250 as suggested by others isn't a bad choice, the Tesoro Compadre isn't a bad choice either. I also see Whites Coinmasters sell somewhat cheap used.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jmoller, The problem with the Fishers for a child is the arm cuff is larger than most and doesnt adjust up far enough. It almost becomes a two handed operation for a younger child. The Tesoro's are set up much nicer for that particular size.

If you were to modify the shaft(drill some additional holes) and get an after market cuff or make your own it would work great, but then you would have a voided warranty verses a lifetime.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just re read and saw you were recommending the BH counterpart, perhaps they have a different cuff set up.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For someone that young if you want a display, I'd go with the ACE 150...fewer controls. But like several of the other's I'd highly recomend the Tesoro Compadre.

If you were to modify the shaft(drill some additional holes) and get an after market cuff or make your own it would work great, but then you would have a voided warranty verses a lifetime.

Technically yes. But I've never had to send in my shaft for repair...just the coil and control box for my Tesoro.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread