city park

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure your not the only one who has hunted the park in question, your probably not even the 20th person who has pounded that park out. All that being said silver is probably there & it's probably deep as in 6" to 8" deep or possibly more. Gotta search for the whisper targets (AKA deep small items). That's where your gonna find the silver if in fact any silver is left there. Dig all deep iffy signals & sooner or later your gonna find a silver or 2. If you finding wheat's in a location then silver is most likely there too.

Try out another park in your area, try to find an older park than one from the 40's.. Lot's of big city parks around here are easily over 100 years old & that's what you want.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if they allow you to bring in heavy earth moving equipment and remove the first foot, or so. That should help get you to any deeper targets :icon_thumright:

Another thing about the park you may want to consider is its size. Just how large a park are we talking about, something like Central Park of NY, or much smaller. You have to remember that people have probably been detecting this from the 60's on, that's 52 years of hunting :laughing7: Yes there may be some goodies still there, but it may just be like looking for a needle in a haystack :tongue3:

OP
OP
W

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
I live in a very small town and the park is small too. Md is not a big thing around here.

OP
OP
W

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
I do not know how hard its been md but I do know that md hasn't ever been a big hobby where I live. This is really good for me because I'm addicted to it. I'm kind of limited to the park due to all the other places I detect are over grown now.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
wayland said:
I live in a very small town and the park is small too. Md is not a big thing around here.

Keep going,listen for the faint signals.Here is how i get it out!.Why would you hunt for silver coins in a low disc setting?.I don't.Set the disc to tab,and get it!do you get the concept?.It is there., Don't give up! ;-)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are underestimating the history of detecting in your town. This has been a major hobby of old men since the 1950s. Have you watched this park every day for 60 years?

Frankly, I would be surprised if ANY park in this country has never seen a detector.

If you aren't finding silver, you need to start looking at the possible reasons.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

wayland, well it's certainly possible you're not getting deep enough, or perhaps it's a soil type that's simply causing the old stuff to be out of reach? For example: If you've found clad dimes and '70s pennies at 8 or 9", ......... well then that's a bad omen that the soil type (very moist perhaps) is putting the older stuff out of reach.

But if you've not found clad over 3 or 4", well then perhaps that's not the issue.

I would be inclined to agree with inspector gadget: you simply don't know who's pounded that park in the past. Perhaps you think detecting is not big there now, where you are, but you simply don't know if this was true 10 yrs. ago, 20 yrs., or 30 yrs. ago. And simply because you (or persons you talk to who lived there in decades past) say "I've never seen anyone md'ing this park" doesn't mean a hill-of-beans! Because the average person who's not into this hobby, simply doesn't notice it. It's only us geeks who notice someone else md'ing :) I've even heard persons who live right across from schools or parks that I KNOW FOR A FACT have been pounded to smithereens, say: "I've never seen anyone detecting there", blah blah. Well they simply don't watch it at all times, and simply wouldn't make note of something like that (for permanent recall), since it's not a hobby they're into.

Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when silver hit all time highs back then, and ground-breaking machines like the first 6000d made silver easy (added an instant inch or two, and effortlessly cut through minerals), there was a sort of "silver rush" mentality. Whereas NOW I would *bristle* at hunting a park that's *merely* 1940s origin. Yet back in those days, we made sport of hitting any park or school that was 1960 or earlier, and cherry picking the silver and wheaties. I can think of parks and schools that are '40s and '50s origin, that we used to get silver out of, that you could NEVER get silver out of now, even if you're an ace. We simply covered them thoroughly and depth wasn't the issue back then. So pity-the-poor soul who goes to some of our old stomping grounds today :)

But it's a fairly regional thing though, because in other areas, with less md'ing, perhaps good parks (that give up oldies to proficient users of the current breed of deepseeking machines) can still pull oldies up. But for sure, other parks are just sad cases, filled with nothing but current clad nowadays.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jinx :) Seems we each hit the "reply" button at exactly the same instant :)

OP
OP
W

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
Does this mean I can't say anything now. That's how the jinx works.lol!

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayland, you have to remember that there is almost 50 yrs of trash on top of the pre 64 coins so the trash could be masking much of the good stuff.
You may have to dig the iffy targets and don't rely on a TID display if your detector has one, use your ears. Close non-ferrous targets will often blend IDs to a lower number.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit a school from the forties or fifties that was never hit too hard, tons of wheats, a couple dozen silver, even a couple gold rings. You never know til you go. Skim the top, pull all the zinc and aluminum and clad, you never know, a deep blanket of older stuff could start poppin.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wayland, well it's certainly possible you're not getting deep enough, or perhaps it's a soil type that's simply causing the old stuff to be out of reach? For example: If you've found clad dimes and '70s pennies at 8 or 9", ......... well then that's a bad omen that the soil type (very moist perhaps) is putting the older stuff out of reach.

But if you've not found clad over 3 or 4", well then perhaps that's not the issue.

I would be inclined to agree with inspector gadget: you simply don't know who's pounded that park in the past. Perhaps you think detecting is not big there now, where you are, but you simply don't know if this was true 10 yrs. ago, 20 yrs., or 30 yrs. ago. And simply because you (or persons you talk to who lived there in decades past) say "I've never seen anyone md'ing this park" doesn't mean a hill-of-beans! Because the average person who's not into this hobby, simply doesn't notice it. It's only us geeks who notice someone else md'ing :) I've even heard persons who live right across from schools or parks that I KNOW FOR A FACT have been pounded to smithereens, say: "I've never seen anyone detecting there", blah blah. Well they simply don't watch it at all times, and simply wouldn't make note of something like that (for permanent recall), since it's not a hobby they're into.

Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, when silver hit all time highs back then, and ground-breaking machines like the first 6000d made silver easy (added an instant inch or two, and effortlessly cut through minerals), there was a sort of "silver rush" mentality. Whereas NOW I would *bristle* at hunting a park that's *merely* 1940s origin. Yet back in those days, we made sport of hitting any park or school that was 1960 or earlier, and cherry picking the silver and wheaties. I can think of parks and schools that are '40s and '50s origin, that we used to get silver out of, that you could NEVER get silver out of now, even if you're an ace. We simply covered them thoroughly and depth wasn't the issue back then. So pity-the-poor soul who goes to some of our old stomping grounds today :)

But it's a fairly regional thing though, because in other areas, with less md'ing, perhaps good parks (that give up oldies to proficient users of the current breed of deepseeking machines) can still pull oldies up. But for sure, other parks are just sad cases, filled with nothing but current clad nowadays.

This is excellent advice! Totally agree if someone in the late 70's or early 80's pounded out a 30 to 40 year old park it would have been picked pretty clean because silver simply wouldn't have been that deep yet thus an easy find for even those with lower grade machines. And like he also said there probably isn't a park left in the whole country that hasn't been detected over the past 30 years. And like he said the clad depth can tell you a lot about the place & soil conditions, if clad is deep it's a bad sign that any silver there is gonna be really deep. I also know places that have been pounded over & over yet people who live by these places say they have never seen anyone detecting there...lol, when in reality they just never noticed or made a mental note of it, heck they might have even seen it & thought it was someone just weed eating!

I hit a school from the forties or fifties that was never hit too hard, tons of wheats, a couple dozen silver, even a couple gold rings. You never know til you go. Skim the top, pull all the zinc and aluminum and clad, you never know, a deep blanket of older stuff could start poppin.

This is also great advice, I've been working an old back yard that I've worked in "layers" because it is so littered with trash. I still have found NO silver here as of yet & just 2 wheaties so far. I'm at 55 pultabs, 3 hotwheels, 1 tootsie toy, 4 door knobs, 4 keys, skeleton keyed whole door lock, 2 padlocks, 2' of chain, 2' of 1.5" steel cable, 40 pieces of an old Cadillac, 40 big nails, 20 small nails, 67 pieces/slaw of or whole aluminum cans, 1.5lbs of misc brass, 3lbs (25 pieces) of misc copper, 2lbs of misc lead, $2.05 in clad & pennies + most of that wasn't found till lots of the trash was removed. I'm well over 300 items removed so far & there is a lot to go not including the iron. Silver is out there I guarantee. The yard dates back to 1920 or possibly earlier & never hunted before I can guarantee! Gotta do it in layers & I will find silver sooner or later & if not I do have some cool old brass & copper relics already!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
I really appreciate all the good advice. The clad at this park is only about 3 inches deep. I'm going to keep swinging,hopefully silver will show sooner or later. God Bless.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've gotten excellent advice so far, especially from Tom of CA. As was said that disc masking of the surface trash also hides the deeper stuff, even higher conductive silver. That being a smaller park too limits the amount of people that visited it to lose stuff. You could also try to detect in the rough stuff like bushes or along fences. Think how the park looked years ago. Some of the bushes might not have been there before. Or you could try using a Minelab Sov GT as it and the Others don't mask out the good stuff under the iron.
Good Luck,
Sandman

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bypass all the shallow targets and only dig those real deep ones, or all your time will be wasted digging the clad.HH

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also check out this tool ... do research on your sites this tool is interesting it allows you to overlay current maps with past overlay photos from the 1950's to see what was there in the past .. this can be done using the spotlight overview tool

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer#

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread