How much can you cover in a day?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
The more your cover in a short time period the better for me to find what you missed.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont really think there is one correct answer to this,But i would say that it all depends on how many times you have hunted a site/how much you know about what is in the ground at the site,depends on what it is you are looking for,how sensitive your detector is,how well it seperates multiple targets in the ground etc. You can cover anywhere from an acre down to a 20 square foot area in a 6 hour day depending on the site and the equipment used.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're in NJ, I'd suggest playing on the beach. Covering ground and recoveries go a lot quicker when you play in sand, opposed to digging in hardened dirt :icon_thumright:

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trash, coil size, swing speed, detector type, undergrowth, and many more things will make a huge difference. I recently hunted a small field that had just been cut so used the tire tracks to grid. Most of the field was not terribly trashy and found a lock, 3 ringer, pocket watch, and 3 or 4 penny buttons and of coarse some trash. Pretty sure it had been hunted before. I hunted about 4 hours total and am guessing I covered about 1 acre overlapping slightly. Was swinging fairly fast since the G2 ( 11 inch coil ) likes it a little faster than most. Just making an estimate on ground covered but would say I am fairly close.:dontknow:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should take you about 4-hours, to cover an area that is 150' x 150' going low and slow, and digging about 120-targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should take you about 4-hours, to cover an area that is 150' x 150' going low and slow, and digging about 120-targets.
Wow....you really recover 1 target every 2 minutes in a park? I can do that in the sand but no way I can dig that fast in sod and do a clean job of it. You must have a lot more energy than I do!

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A probe is the key to digging in Sod. Charles Garrett always swore by it and for the first few years I didn't pay attention because I just hunted old Lots and used a shovel. When I learned the code of ethics and thought it better not to bring my big shovel to the park I QUIKLY figured out that with good pinpointing I could pop targets out of the ground FAST!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cudamark said:
Wow....you really recover 1 target every 2 minutes in a park? I can do that in the sand but no way I can dig that fast in sod and do a clean job of it. You must have a lot more energy than I do!

Lots of coffee

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A probe is the key to digging in Sod. Charles Garrett always swore by it and for the first few years I didn't pay attention because I just hunted old Lots and used a shovel. When I learned the code of ethics and thought it better not to bring my big shovel to the park I QUIKLY figured out that with good pinpointing I could pop targets out of the ground FAST!
Oh, surface stuff, sure. Just poke'em and pop'em. Targets 4" and deeper is a different story. Unless they're laying on the surface, I don't bother with the shallow stuff unless it's an old location where silver is found. Then I dig everything so good deep targets aren't masked by surface junk.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There is nothing remarkable about these estimations. I am in reasonable condition, and do not use a pinpointer. When I dig a soccer or baseball field, I cut a semi-circle cut at the depth I think the target is at and fold it out of the hole. After 35-years of doing this, the target is usually right there when I fold the flap out. Targets every two-minutes is the norm discriminating just iron in my neck of the woods.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are digging at the beach, or on nice short-cut grass, you will be able to cover quite a bit of ground. In a forested area, then you will do better
to prepare the site, if you can. By this I mean carry a hand-held grass cutter.....a sythe. Trim the grass/bushes from where you want to hunt. And, if
you got snakes in the trees, like I do here (S. Korea), I trim the low-hanging tree limbs, too. I don't want one of the critters slithering down the back of my
shirt. So, trimming the ground, making it as smooth as possible, will take some time. I was in the forest yesterday and day before. Took about 2 hours
day before yesterday, and I was able to work about 15 square meters of ground. Only one good find, a holed coin dating 1740s. So, time well spent.
If you can't prepare the ground, you will be able to hunt a larger area quicker, but you still want to go slow, especially when you are raising/lowering the head of the detector. Going over raised/exposed tree roots, don't go back and forth over them. YOu will get a lot of false signals. Hunt parallel to them.....one side, then the other. Don't worry about being fast......just be thorough.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for how much ground you can cover it depends on many things, like size of the coil, speed of sweep and how many times you need to retrieve a target and how deep it is. Think of in in terms of having fun rather than how fast I can go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions