& my 2nd detector will be a....

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I want a 2nd detector so I have a back up or maybe what I really want is a new detector that will render my MXT as my backup! Either way a second detector is getting purchased sometime very soon.

I want some real advice &/or info from people who have used multiple brands & models. I want the machine that will get the most depth the easiest in Indiana soil, mostly the central 75 miles with Indy being the center point. Water hunting is of NO concern for this choice nor is weight or balance as I simply want the machine that gets the deepest in the soil where I detect. Mostly for detecting very old off the beaten path long lost dilapidated home sites going back to the 1800's. Places where most trash would be bullets & shells from hunters tho I don't want a machine that can't be used to get deep in higher trash areas!

I own a Whites MXT & would love to try another brand such as a Garrett GTI 2500 Pro, a Deus XP, a Minelab etrac (the 3030 is just to much $ IMHO), Maybe even a Whites pulse scan, DFX or V3i tho I have a Whites already but if it's still my best option to get super depth here then that's what I'll do. Now possibly even the Fisher F75 or ?. And I'm open to any & all suggestions I haven't thought of yet.

I know it's all about learning & understanding the machine your using but only to an extent... as some machines just have more power & ability to hear those real deep small targets. A machine that loves to whisper deep sweet music to me!

What is it folks? What's my best option & BTW not a 2 box set up either as I want those small targets! I have read 1000 stories of people finding something where every other detector didn't but this story is never the same & always the one that out does the others one day looses the next time. But with the machine set up perfectly which gets the deepest the easiest & this can include a machine with a non stock coil!

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coils do you have for the MXT, I've detected with others who have the V3i and a couple times with the E-trac and my MXT got targets as deep as them. If depth is the only concern the MXT will get as deep as those with the right coil and gain about +2, there are alot of other nice features on the V3i that the MXT doesn't offer like freq. offset, choice of 3 freq. or all three at once, adjustable tones, and alot more, but I wouldn't say more depth. You might be able to get more depth if there was bad EMI and you could offset the freq. for less interference, and you will get more depth from the MXT than you do now after you get to know it better, also coil choice for any detector will limit the depth you can achieve. HH

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I've had four different brands...a radio shack machine I got as a kid (yeah, not good), White's, Tesoro, and Garrett. Personally I didn't like either of the two Garrett machines I owned. Most everyone I know owns White's, including the guy who got me into the hobby. He could almost find old silver blind-folded with a White's machine.

There are a few treasure shops in the State...though the only one whose name I can think of at the moment is Wray's...they are south of Indy and were a sponsor of Treasure week down in one of the southern state parks. There is also a MD shop in Lafayette and Valparaso. I'd definitely give one or more of them a shout before taking a final decision.

Personally I think any MD sold in the State of Indiana should come with a potter's wheel to process all the clay into pretty pots. :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned tesoro, garrett, whites and minelab. If you are wanting a deep, coin finding land machine, you will love the E-Trac.

ggolds5

Greenie
Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started detecting again after many years. I now have a XP Deus. I love it. VERY light, VERY easy to use and program, VERY fast and sensitive. A great machine. If money is no real object I would get the XP. I live in CT and got my best deal after calling about 30 places from Treasure Mountain Detectors in TN. I had a Whites V3I and M6. Both great but weighty and bulky. The DEUS I can put in a backpack and not look like I'm going hunting for Caraboo in Alaska everytime I go out. That's just an analogy so you now. I was considering the Minelab 3030 but it's a beast and hardly inconspicuous or light. If you want to spend less it seems that the Fisher F75 and the Teknetics T2 are great light deep machines. THat's my 2 cents just thought I would offer what I know as minimal as it is. Good luck.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coils do you have for the MXT, I've detected with others who have the V3i and a couple times with the E-trac and my MXT got targets as deep as them. If depth is the only concern the MXT will get as deep as those with the right coil and gain about +2, there are alot of other nice features on the V3i that the MXT doesn't offer like freq. offset, choice of 3 freq. or all three at once, adjustable tones, and alot more, but I wouldn't say more depth. You might be able to get more depth if there was bad EMI and you could offset the freq. for less interference, and you will get more depth from the MXT than you do now after you get to know it better, also coil choice for any detector will limit the depth you can achieve. HH

I'm still using the stock coil Mr. wingmaster:dontknow:, dunno why, guess because I haven't found the coil I want for the price I wanna pay, lol still not sure on the D2 or possibly even the SEF 12x10, ever tried one? Or have ya tried the Eclipse 8x14 deep scan? Every $150 D2 on evilbay I miss out on:BangHead: I did get this toy in today & it seems to work very well so I think it's a nice upgrade & a winner!
DSC01208.JPG

There are a few treasure shops in the State...though the only one whose name I can think of at the moment is Wray's...they are south of Indy and were a sponsor of Treasure week down in one of the southern state parks. There is also a MD shop in Lafayette and Valparaso.

Personally I think any MD sold in the State of Indiana should come with a potter's wheel to process all the clay into pretty pots. :)

LOL.. ya, clay, gotta love hard clay! I like dealing with New Age Detecting (Whites dealer) here in town on the east side, old Virgil is such a nice guy who reminds me of my uncle, he's an old veteran, the shop might be tiny & cluttered, the yard is unkept, his stock isn't good, parking is terrible, & he's a bit eccentric in a weird type way but he is a masterful hunter with more knowledge on detecting than anyone around here! Heck the whole store is full of his finds that you don't see many other places. He also doesn't play salesman or push sales in anyway at all, even tho he has but doesn't use some used Minelab's he got in on trade he will still tell you they are top notch machines he'd like to use but doesn't have the time or will to learn a new machine & why would you want to when you have the DFX completely mastered!

I have owned tesoro, garrett, whites and minelab. If you are wanting a deep, coin finding land machine, you will love the E-Trac.

I know, I know... That's what all Minelab owners say:tongue3:

The DEUS I can put in a backpack and not look like I'm going hunting for Caraboo in Alaska everytime I go out. That's just an analogy so you now. I was considering the Minelab 3030 but it's a beast and hardly inconspicuous or light. If you want to spend less it seems that the Fisher F75 and the Teknetics T2 are great light deep machines. THat's my 2 cents just thought I would offer what I know as minimal as it is. Good luck.

LOL, I sure as heck do know what you mean about looking like I'm going hunting for BIG game with a Whites on my back! Price is & isn't a real object, I have the cash no prob but do I want to spend it is the real question! I could buy 1 of every GOOD brand's top tier detector & not be hurting for money anytime soon but I have that option because I don't go do stupid things like that. I haven't even upgraded my MXT coil because I can't get what I want for what I want to pay, yet that is! Guess I'm a little Jewish with my $ so you could say. The Deus is very very tempting, very cool looking set up, the fast part I really like, the weight is well nothing short of phenomenal. I've read it is fast but hearing it from an owner is nice! What's the battery life on the box & the headphones & what batteries are used in em, I didn't even bother to check that part of it out.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a detech 13" ultimate DD coil looking for more depth than the D2 and while it didn't give me more depth it did hit harder on some deep dimes that were on sitting on edge that were pretty deep. The D2 coil would pick them up as well but since they were sitting on edge they didn't sound good enough to dig(thought they were probably trash) and the coil covers more ground and hits those deep dimes sitting on edge. So I wouldn't really look for more depth over the D2 coil but you will cover more ground per swing which is good for big open area's, lots of coils shine in one way or another but the D2 coil is my favorite. I have 2 D2 and 950 coils,6x10,4x6, and the 13" detech coils and a friend of mine has about all the SEF coils and he still uses the D2 most of the time. HH

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IG, did you miss the part where I have owned and used most of the major brands available? There is a reason minelab owners love our machines so much. Of course if weight is an issue, then you may not want one. I thought you said you wanted a deep hitting coin machine.

Lightweight.... those things they sell at radioshack are pretty light.... if that's your goal.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Well I use the whites V3i and sense that's the one I own it's the best one. None of the other brands work. LOL

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a detech 13" ultimate DD coil looking for more depth than the D2 and while it didn't give me more depth it did hit harder on some deep dimes that were on sitting on edge that were pretty deep. The D2 coil would pick them up as well but since they were sitting on edge they didn't sound good enough to dig(thought they were probably trash) and the coil covers more ground and hits those deep dimes sitting on edge. So I wouldn't really look for more depth over the D2 coil but you will cover more ground per swing which is good for big open area's, lots of coils shine in one way or another but the D2 coil is my favorite. I have 2 D2 and 950 coils,6x10,4x6, and the 13" detech coils and a friend of mine has about all the SEF coils and he still uses the D2 most of the time. HH

That's excellent info wingmaster, thanks!

IG, did you miss the part where I have owned and used most of the major brands available? There is a reason minelab owners love our machines so much. Of course if weight is an issue, then you may not want one. I thought you said you wanted a deep hitting coin machine.

Lightweight.... those things they sell at radioshack are pretty light.... if that's your goal.

LOL I wasn't knocking Minelabs or their owners at all! I just know their customers are loyal & most love their machine to no end! So I was just letting you know I already knew where you probably stood being a Minelab owner & all. Don't get to bent as a Minelab is definitely a detector on my short list of possibilities! I see Minelab's as a can't go wrong detector especially the e-trac or the 3030.

Well I use the whites V3i and sense that's the one I own it's the best one. None of the other brands work. LOL

Yup without doubt the best detector in the whole world is the one your swinging! I've never once:dontknow:found anything with one of those models that's sitting on the store shelf!:laughing9:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread