Cibola vs. Bounty Hunter

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Ok, so here is my situation:
I have had a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 through the summer and have been quite successful. I am lucky, as I discovered a virgin site, I believe. Nothing too, too old, but a rec area in some woods where I know people have been visiting at least since the 1940's. A coin shooter's dream. Coins coming out of the ground! I have found about 700 coins in total and become quite proficient with the Tk4.
Then I realized I wasn't finding any silver.
I had found only about 4 wheat pennies. I couldn't understand why no coins were prior to 1965 at all. I decided that the Bounty Hunter must only be detecting a couple inches down. It's very sandy soil, and easy digging.
So I do tons of research and decide on the Cibola, a hot, deep seeking detector.
Now, I haven't gone to my regular stomping grounds yet, but have used the Cibola around my yard which I had previously cleaned out with the tracker 4.
Honestly, I haven't found anything else in my yard with the cibola and I've started to wonder if its really any better than the bounty hunter. Maybe its just the new detector learning curve.
Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I have a thought. Check back in with us in a month, and THEN give us your assesment. Big Gold!

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
And hopefully big silver coins, too. I realize its not a completely fair review, but my first impression was that it wasn't finding anything new in my yard, which surprised me.

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you set up a test bed with some known targets at a known depth?
I'm pretty new to this as well but I was way off with how I was using my Outlaw's discrimination until I did this.

OP
OP
donkarlos

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Yes I could do that I guess...
Been off to my stompin grounds and it has done better in depth. Found a wheat near an old wheat site, some zincs pretty deep, etc.
One noticeable change is that my garret pro pointer doesn't always find the spot now because the target is too deep!
One thing for sure is that whether it be my tk4 or my cibola, they both are light years ahead of my white's coinmaster from the 70's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions