Most people give away there treasure hunting spots without even knowing it.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night i was eating dinner with my wife and she was watching one of those reality forensics shows,Myself personally tries to avoid anything to do with cops or private detectives.Been there done that but thought this would be worth sharing.The show is called "Forensic Files" that documents past crimes and how forensics solved the case.The paticular episode was about this girl who had been kidnapped for ransom..long story short,The way they found her after 6 years was by a cellphone photo sent to the parents to taunt them,Every cellphone on earth that takes a picture also embeds the exact GPS coordinates from the satellite it utilizes to send/recieve messages. So if you hit the mother lode you may want to think twice before you use your cellphone to snap a picture as proof.Loose Lips Sink Ships" but apparently So Does bragging rights.lol ,Just thought that was a bit of kool info and felt like sharing it with you guys.

HH,John

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakeeyes, there is no GPS data on either pic.

Yes, this topic has been covered many times. NO, phones do not always embed GPS data, and that function can be turned off.

I think I scared the hell out of a member here about his phone data. He posted some pics of his latest finds, and just for fun I looked to see if they were GPS encoded. Sure enough, a smart phone with the embedding turned on. I posted to him about turning off that feature and said "Oh, by the way, it looks like you took the pics at home, at 12:30 at night, on xxx street. And you were facing north." The thread was deleted a few hours later.

So yes, be aware of it but don't think that you can be tracked after your disable it. Many photo hosting sites now automatically strip the data.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakeeyes, there is no GPS data on either pic.

Yes, this topic has been covered many times. NO, phones do not always embed GPS data, and that function can be turned off.

I think I scared the hell out of a member here about his phone data. He posted some pics of his latest finds, and just for fun I looked to see if they were GPS encoded. Sure enough, a smart phone with the embedding turned on. I posted to him about turning off that feature and said "Oh, by the way, it looks like you took the pics at home, at 12:30 at night, on xxx street. And you were facing north." The thread was deleted a few hours later.

So yes, be aware of it but don't think that you can be tracked after your disable it. Many photo hosting sites now automatically strip the data.

Interesting!!

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
how to remove all exif data from pictures

- Open pic on your computer
- hit the "print screen" key (prtsc on my laptop keyboard)
- Open MS Paint & paste
- your entire visible screen will be pasted as an image
- crop out everything but your photo
- Save as JPEG image

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how to remove all exif data from pictures

- Open pic on your computer
- hit the "print screen" key (prtsc on my laptop keyboard)
- Open MS Paint & paste
- your entire visible screen will be pasted as an image
- crop out everything but your photo
- Save as JPEG image

Great Info,Thank You!!

HH John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread