Bad Day in the woods!!!

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out to a site close to my house for a few hours hunt this morning after the kid was off to school,Got to the site and went to turn on my detector and the Display Screen is ruined.Yesterday i got caught out in the rain but it wasnt even a heavy rain,Just a slight drizzle that i walked maybe two hundred yards in back to the truck with the detector,Today i turn the delta on and all the numbers on the screen are broken up,I dont know how to explain it,a 4 looks like a lower case L,etc. Are all teknetics detectors this sensitive to water? I mean it was a very very very minute amount of rain that even landed on it,if any at all,maybe a few drops because i had the control box under my shirt after it started raining.Could this be because of water or something else entirely different?? And if it is due to rain(which i dont think it is) would it void the warranty and cause me to pay a repair bill??

Looks like its back to the Fisher for now.

Upvote 0

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take out the batteries and leave it open and put it in a closet or a small room with a heater for about 24 hours, don't turn it on again til the time is up, then try it again.:icon_thumright:

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With respect to the previous poster, I'm not sure of the wisdom of that. Heat is NEVER good for electronics. It may work just FINE, but it might be a safer option to do what Apple recommends when you drop your iPhone in water... Put it in a sealed plastic bag of white rice. It draws out the moisture like mad... Leave it overnight.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys,Its worth a try.Luckily i have an F4 to use in the meantime but i hope to get the delta working again! Anything is worth a shot cuz as of now its more or less scrap.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnnieF.....mrmackin is not saying put it in direct heat. Just a warm dry environment. A constant temp of 100 or even 120 degrees should not harm a detector at all but will sure dry it out. I have hunted on 100+ degree days with no ill effect to machine ( rough on hunter ha ha ). Leaving a detector in a locked vehicle with direct sunlight on it etc is just asking to kill one, but not what he is suggesting. Sure understand and appreciate your concern but would be my suggestion as well.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think i`ll try and put it in my broom closet next to my kitchen wall oven for a few days.See if it helps.If that doesnt work i`ll try the rice method,If that doesnt work i`ll throw it in the parts pile lol. The detector is almost two years old and i got it used so if it cant be fixed i guess its time to move on,Been wanting to upgrade before fall completely gets here anyways.Thanks everyone for the info.

HH John

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with mrmackin, not with any direct heat just normal dry air from your house circulating around it will sometimes revive the worst drowing victims. i once recovered my video camera from a flood, took it apart and dried it out and the fellas at work bet me that I would never even get it back together, not only did I get it back together I vidoed them appoligizing ! It was great. You still have a shot, give it a few days if you can the longer the better.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with mrmackin, not with any direct heat just normal dry air from your house circulating around it will sometimes revive the worst drowing victims. i once recovered my video camera from a flood, took it apart and dried it out and the fellas at work bet me that I would never even get it back together, not only did I get it back together I vidoed them appoligizing ! It was great. You still have a shot, give it a few days if you can the longer the better.

I have a fisher F4 i will be swinging in the meantime but i hope to get the delta fixed,they are about the same grade/price of detector but i personally feel that i can find the better stuff with the tek D 4000. I`ll give it til the weekend in the closet and see what happens,It`ll be saturday before i can get away from the ball n chain to do some hunting anyways.If its broke its broke but if letting it sit for a few days can fix it,Its all gain for me.

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnnieF.....mrmackin is not saying put it in direct heat. Just a warm dry environment......

Thanks for hearin' what I meant.:hello: I probably should have given the temperature range you described, just to be safe, and keep anyone reading this from melting their machine!:icon_thumright: Out of the flood and into the fire = FAIL!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
HA, A bad day in the woods to me is coming home with a BAD case of Poison Ivy! Hope it dries out for ya! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA, A bad day in the woods to me is coming home with a BAD case of Poison Ivy! Hope it dries out for ya! God Bless Chris

Oh god,Dont even talk like that!! With my run of luck lately,The poison ivy will be next!

HH John

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rice trick is better than simply letting it dry out. The rice actually pulls the moisture out, rather than just letting it evaporate which can cause corrosion on electrical contacts and on the leads to the chips.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news today,First time i have had the chance to get out and hunt since my misfortune with the delta.I pulled the delta out of the closet,slapped some batteries in it and took it to the backyard for a test run,seems to work fine now.Guess it was just moisture in the components.Either way,Ive ordered the omega 8000 from miller mdz but thanks for the advice to repair the delta.

Last edited:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep a couple of plastic bags in your backpack. Put the box in them, first sign of rain. I have a Tech outfit, too. Works for me.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep a couple of plastic bags in your backpack. Put the box in them, first sign of rain. I have a Tech outfit, too. Works for me.

I dropped my BH Platinum in creek and took control box apart (3 screws) then let a fan dry everything out. reassembled and it was fine. Happened twice, worked both times.
just be careful while circuit board is out in the open.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread