New guy with question

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started metal detecting. I've been in my bag yard practicing. I've found some newer coins and a good bit of trash. My question is there are times where I get a signal so I stop and try to pin point by sweeping back and forth. I then get a different signal/tone. I then sweep front to back and or rotate 90 degrees and sweep again and get no signal. Any suggestions on how to improve? Do you only dig when you get a a two way signal? Thanks -Josh-

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector do you have? Some coins setting on edge will come up as iron so if your discriminating out iron you won't get a signal, but most times I'll look for a good signal both ways. Really need to know what detector your using and does it have a pinpoint trigger, you need to start pinpointing off to the left or right of the target if you have a pinpoint trigger or button. HH

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not necessarily, those iffy signals can sometimes be something good with a nail in the way, or something like that. I dig them when I'm in a place that's not horribly trashy like a yard, but often pass them up in parks where they seem to mostly end up as pull tabs bent to weird angles around here.

OP
OP
M

medicffjt

Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Bounty Hunter Lone Star. No pinpointing capabilities. Thanks for the info.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with no pinpoint setting on your detector you can use the north south east west cross pattern. if you get a signal cross the signal north south then east west middle of this is where you dig. Having a hand held to assist also will do you a great justice. keeps you from digging to much or to little by being able to pinpoint with the hand held unit after you have dug the general area of your target. Hope this helps.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually judge whether to dig those iffy targets based on other items found in the same area at the same depth. If I'm finding silver or wheats at 6" down, I'll dig any iffy sound at that depth or even an inch shallower.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I've been using a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for nearly 2 years. Usually I ignore signals that are only in one direction, as I've found that most often what's underneath is small piece of foil, bit of broken wire, etc. But on days when I feel like digging all signals, occasionally the one-way signal does turn out to be a coin on it's side. Once you've dug your plug if you're having trouble locating the item in plug or hole, I recommend my low-budget pinpointer which cost about twenty bucks from Harbor Freight. Very accurate pinpointer, though once we had to replace the switch, which we did by buying a local part, no problem since. Have fun, you're going to enjoy the good finds that you dig when least expected! This week I was digging all signals on local beach, started digging rusty nail after rusty nail in a small area -- instead of moving on, I decided to clear that area of nails as kids play there -- well, after another nail or two, up pops a nice silver ring! Adios! Andi

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh, what kind of bounty hunter do you have? And being very familiar with a bounty hunter, I do have to say I've experienced the same thing. Sooo....here's my advice...considering the bj has extremelyyyyy slow recovery time...swing until you hear the high beep. What I've found out is they are pretty accurate...& what will happen sometimes is if you here the high beep...& go over again & get the iron signal....you've got both foil/trash & a coin in the same area. The LCD screen is very accurate & has never failed me once. And starting with the bh is a excellent machine for beginners as it kind of trains you by sound, tones & such...and has the LCD screen for second guessing. Then hopefully you'll move on to a Tesoro...where its pretty much beep & dig...& figure out what your detector is saying to you by its tones!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread