Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bowie Knife For Target Removal

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2012
    Owensville In
    Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TNGUNS
    I still use a K-bar to cut my plugs and go to a trowel if needed. Gonna have to break down and get a Lesche model 85 I guess which is kind of a combination of the two. The Bowie style knife should work fine but ad a few bucks to it and get the Lesche would be my 2 cents. I got the K-bar in some gun trade stuff so no real money in it and it works.
    I do the same and a knife is clean and efficient for small shallow targets. You can pop a coin right out in no time with hardly anything to cover up. But when you need to go deep a trowel is good to have. HH
    Calvin.Coin and Sandman like this.

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwestern America
    Garrett Ace 250
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keppy View Post
    ........ I use a Bowie now and then ...and also a Lesche ...... but then i am the type of person that don't worry about what other people think....... and really don't care what they think......... But i never had any one freak out about it as put here................ God some of you people here get so up tight about nothing...............All i can say is if you want to use your knife use it no one is going to go crazy over seeing you using it........... I don't know were some get these idea's.............
    Not sure if you caught on, but this topic was mostly tongue in cheek. I happen to live in a state where citizens are allowed to openly carry a gun. It is not uncommon to walk into a local business and see several people packing. Nobody cares about a little knife around here. You got to admit the sticker on those tools is priceless!

peace,
    cc
    austin likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1169 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin.Coin View Post
    Thought of getting one of those cheap $20 Bowie Knives from the Mega-Store. I would slap a "For Digging Only" sticker on it and keep it off airplanes. Would that be a suitable digger or would it scare the locals too much?

peace,
    cc
    ..... Well if you knew that it would not scare the locals and it was no problem to use it ? Why ask it ??........... And if there was no need for a sticker why put it on..........?? In other words these was just something you made up to ask no truth to the question...... So i am done with this post.....
    Last edited by Keppy; Sep 30, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwestern America
    Garrett Ace 250
    72 times
    No, I was truly curious...to see what it was like in different areas since the prevailing winds seem to dictate toeing the line rather rigidly. I don't always detect close to home and the law isn't as friendly in all places. Ease up a bit and enjoy, no offense meant!

cheers,
    cc

PS you figured the sticker part out...why is it even there. It wouldn't stop a crime...
    Last edited by Calvin.Coin; Sep 30, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

us
    Tom

Jul 2012
    Mesa AZ
    White's V3I, M6, MXT Pro, GMT, TDI SL, modified IDX Pro, Classic III, Minelab Sovereign GT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Fisher Gold Bug Pro.
    47 times
    I've been using a Hori-Hori Knife/Trowel for 25 years. The blades are indestructable (1/8" thick) and have a slight curve to them. Also has serrations on one side for cutting roots. These were originally made for Bonsi horticulture. About $22.00. They come in stainless steel and carbon steel but I like the carbon steel as it's tougher and won't bend. You can stand on these stuck in the dirt and not bend them. I like to dip the wooden handle in liquid rubber from Home Depot.
    38 Years detecting
    Past White's Dealer
    Current Arsenal: White's V3i, M6 x 2, Modified IDX Pro, Classic III, GMT, TDI SL, Minelab Sovereign GT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Fisher Gold Bug Pro

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwestern America
    Garrett Ace 250
    72 times
    Hey, the Hori-Hori looks good. I may have to get one of those. Bonsai is cool as well...

peace,
    cc

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    570 times
    I happen to live in a state where citizens are allowed to openly carry a gun. It is not uncommon to walk into a local business and see several people packing. Nobody cares about a little knife around here.
    cc
    After a nasty morning of surveying in the swamp, my partner & I walked into a bar for lunch not realizing we still had our machetes on. Well, it was no big deal. We ate lunch and left.
    Calvin.Coin likes this.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Mr. Schulz

Mar 2012
    DeWitt, Iowa
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
    309 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Bottle hunting, and Metal Detecting
    I use to use my Bowie Knife, but i've gotten a nice long handled trowel/shovel that makes it much better to recover.
    Calvin.Coin likes this.
    2013 Finds- 12/3

Bottle Digging
    Blob tops: 0
    Hutches: 2
    Medicines: 23
    Local Bottles: 24
    Tokens: 2, (1) Local
    1948 S Roosie Dime
    8 Spoons
    Music box part
    Axe Head
    19th Century cutting scissors
    ~
    Metal Detecting:
    Foreign: 1
    Wheats: 28
    Silver Dimes: 1
    Token: 1
    Clad: $47.53

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Tesoro Sidewinder, White's Coinmaster, White's Surfmaster II
    291 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thought of getting one of those cheap $20 Bowie Knives from the Mega-Store. I would slap a "For Digging Only" sticker on it and keep it off airplanes. Would that be a suitable digger or would it scare the locals too much?

peace,
    cc
    I knew it! That nameless mega-store is trying to take "Target" stores out of business.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1960 times
    For years now I've used a bayonet as a probe as it wedges in pull tabs and rings so they can be popped out of the ground. The screw driver can poke inside and outside of a ring and you won't know you found it. The bayonet is dull as can be but I carry it in my tool pouch with the trash. Instead of a Hori-Hori knife I use a Fiskars as it is less expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7079-G...ords=hori-hori
    Last edited by Sandman; Oct 08, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Sep 2012
    Southwestern America
    Garrett Ace 250
    72 times
    Sandman, that's good thinking about the bayonet as a probe. The small brass ones I have seen would suffer the same problem as a screwdriver in that regard. I also like the looks of that Fiskars. I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up something similar to that or the Hori-Hori when I go for supplies...

Mzjavert , LoL...yea I try to dance around naming mega-stores, hahah, they have sufficient advertising funds to spread their own name!

peace,
    cc

us
    Sep 2007
    45 times
    Every state may have their own laws, but most state only allow knives no longer then three inches. There is no way I be carry knives in public. Buy a trowel or off to jail you may go.

us
    Grizzly13

Sep 2012
    Eastern PA
    Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
    45 times
    Metal Detecting
    I do like the Hori Hori model even though I personally do not have one, but it is like the one that I do use. I made my own because of my abuse in the field. I being a welder and metal worker make most of my tools and make them better then waht you can buy. In reality we MD's dig in hostile ground ( not gardens) with roots being the norm. I took a stainless 4" pipe 3/16" thick and 14" long cut it with a cutting wheel on a hand held grinder and shaped it like the tori tori, actually before I had ever seen the Tori Tori. I serrated both sides and sharpened it. It has the curve and heated and crimped the handle side. I then wrapped the handle with rubber insulating tape and it is indestructable ! The handle has to be big and soft so the blisters do not appear. I wouldnt be without it, its a animal and a weapon if needed in those evening hunts in the park : ),
    Calvin.Coin likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2005
    Baltimore
    White's XLT, White's QXT
    71 times
    Here in the People's Republic of Maryland there is no restriction on fixed blade length as long as the knife is not concealed. That said, there are too many sheeple out there that freak if they see someone with a knife. I always carry a knife with me, just not always a fixed blade knife.

us
    Oct 2009
    1908 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    For years now I've used a bayonet as a probe as it wedges in pull tabs and rings so they can be popped out of the ground. The screw driver can poke inside and outside of a ring and you won't know you found it. The bayonet is dull as can be but I carry it in my tool pouch with the trash. Instead of a Hori-Hori knife I use a Fiskars as it is less expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7079-G...ords=hori-hori
    Haha, if an officer comes up to you, just tell them you are probing for landmines and they should only walk in your tracks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors