All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol can go 50/50 I use a 10 dollar tool from home depot or lowe's. They sale a small garden tool similar to a digging tool not as strong so watch that.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use a K-bar to cut my plugs and go to a trowel if needed. Gonna have to break down and get a Lesche model 85 I guess which is kind of a combination of the two. The Bowie style knife should work fine but ad a few bucks to it and get the Lesche would be my 2 cents. I got the K-bar in some gun trade stuff so no real money in it and it works.:icon_thumleft:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Calvin.Coin said:
Thought of getting one of those cheap $20 Bowie Knives from the Mega-Store. I would slap a "For Digging Only" sticker on it and keep it off airplanes. Would that be a suitable digger or would it scare the locals too much?

peace,
cc

Why would you use a knife to dig a hole? Would you use a trowel to cut you steak?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
depending upon where and when you dig * having a good sharp knife as a dual purpose * (digging / self defense item) is not a bad ideal --althogh a small gun beats a knife for self defense in some places its not allowed.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you use a knife to dig a hole? Would you use a trowel to cut you steak?

I used a bowie knife for many years till I got a Lesche.A knife works great for cutting a clean plug or slit and is great for cutting through roots.Also a Lesche is pretty much a modified knife.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
kieser sousa/rip said:
I used a bowie knife for many years till I got a Lesche.A knife works great for cutting a clean plug or slit and is great for cutting through roots.Also a Lesche is pretty much a modified knife.

So why did you buy the lesche?

OP
OP
Calvin.Coin

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use a K-bar to cut my plugs and go to a trowel if needed. Gonna have to break down and get a Lesche model 85 I guess which is kind of a combination of the two. The Bowie style knife should work fine but ad a few bucks to it and get the Lesche would be my 2 cents. I got the K-bar in some gun trade stuff so no real money in it and it works.:icon_thumleft:

That's what got me thinking in the first place...my ka-bar is usually strapped to my right hip and I use the MD in my left...but I wouldn't want to mess up the edge on that knife, hence the cheap bowie.

Also, that sticker always cracks me up. I'm not sure what tool I even saw it on but it looked vicious and the label was hilarious. Like labeling a loaded shotgun-"for observation purposes only" <scratches head>

cheers,
cc

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well one pro treasure hunter back in the 90's by the name of ..Bob Trevillian ...that is what he used most of the time a Bowie knife...... He teamed up with another pro treasure hunter ..Frank Carter ... they put out some good videos way back then and some good books....... One of his team i can't remember his name that was in some of his videos was a member on tnet here........ And a few years ago i was in touch with him but for the life of me i can't remember his name or tnet name............he is from W.V......But that Bob T. used a Bowie Knife most of the time so the knife must work good..............................

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
kieser sousa/rip said:
I broke the blade on my last knife the lesche being a modified knife has a stronger blade.

See what happens when you dig with a knife.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
I like using a lesche but I think it freaks people out a little when they happen upon you on a walking trail. I try not to let people see me dig anyway. I do wish they made one about half the size.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt they would appreciate the subtleties of a twelve inch Bowie than, lol.

peace,
cc
........ I use a Bowie now and then ...and also a Lesche ...... but then i am the type of person that don't worry about what other people think....... and really don't care what they think......... But i never had any one freak out about it as put here................ God some of you people here get so up tight about nothing...............All i can say is if you want to use your knife use it no one is going to go crazy over seeing you using it........... I don't know were some get these idea's.............

Last edited:

sheep

Sep 7, 2012
Owensville In
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, Propointer, minelab musketeer x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNGUNS said:

I do the same and a knife is clean and efficient for small shallow targets. You can pop a coin right out in no time with hardly anything to cover up. But when you need to go deep a trowel is good to have. HH

OP
OP
Calvin.Coin

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........ I use a Bowie now and then ...and also a Lesche ...... but then i am the type of person that don't worry about what other people think....... and really don't care what they think......... But i never had any one freak out about it as put here................ God some of you people here get so up tight about nothing...............All i can say is if you want to use your knife use it no one is going to go crazy over seeing you using it........... I don't know were some get these idea's.............

Not sure if you caught on, but this topic was mostly tongue in cheek. I happen to live in a state where citizens are allowed to openly carry a gun. It is not uncommon to walk into a local business and see several people packing. Nobody cares about a little knife around here. You got to admit the sticker on those tools is priceless!

peace,
cc

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought of getting one of those cheap $20 Bowie Knives from the Mega-Store. I would slap a "For Digging Only" sticker on it and keep it off airplanes. Would that be a suitable digger or would it scare the locals too much?

peace,
cc
..... ?????? Well if you knew that it would not scare the locals and it was no problem to use it ???? Why ask it ?????????????????........... And if there was no need for a sticker why put it on..........???????? In other words these was just something you made up to ask no truth to the question...... So i am done with this post.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calvin.Coin

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I was truly curious...to see what it was like in different areas since the prevailing winds seem to dictate toeing the line rather rigidly. I don't always detect close to home and the law isn't as friendly in all places. Ease up a bit and enjoy, no offense meant!

cheers,
cc

PS you figured the sticker part out...why is it even there. It wouldn't stop a crime...

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Hori-Hori Knife/Trowel for 25 years. The blades are indestructable (1/8" thick) and have a slight curve to them. Also has serrations on one side for cutting roots. These were originally made for Bonsi horticulture. About $22.00. They come in stainless steel and carbon steel but I like the carbon steel as it's tougher and won't bend. You can stand on these stuck in the dirt and not bend them. I like to dip the wooden handle in liquid rubber from Home Depot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread