How deep do you dig?

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my AT pro Sept 2011. First 20 hours hunting as a beginner (Oct-Dec), learning this machine, I was digging mabe 7-9in down. Probably cause the ground was very dry and dry clay hard. As the confidence grew (Jan-April 2012), my next 20-30 hunting hours, I'd perhaps gone to 10-12 in. Hibernated since April with the Bayou heat, but its on now !
I'm sure I am and will be missing but I dont want to go 20 plus. Will it come? Not sure.
A recent friend abroad talks about her OKM Evolution she dropped $5,000 on and digs 3-5 ft. Thats excovating!
I guess I'll just liberate coins and bling at 16 and down. Or, 16 and under. Or 16 or less. LOL- You know what I mean.
But dam it; I do have a serious relic itch!
HH Ray
I do hope this thread hasn't been beatin to death prior.

Upvote 0

mfitzs70

Sep 15, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett's Ace 250, Garrett's Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Calvin.Coin said:
I agree. I like it for numerous reasons, not limited to the following:

-I learned that certain parts of the surrounding New Orleans area have a high buried trash content.

-I learned that the Eagle Eye or a GTI 2500 can find your truck hood down 15ft.

-I learned more about the preferred digging tools of others.

-I learned a new joke (knee deep, knee deep)

-I saw some interesting pics.

And much, much more...

Please share what you found so amazing...

peace,
cc

Well now I am amazed at the list you just produced. What's the much, much more?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calvin, I appreciate your interest in New Orleans, it's vibrant culture and high trash content. We're pretty proud of our trash layer and have been working diligently for many years to improve it where ever possible. Where many places have a few pulltabs here and there I have documented places where pulltabs and bottlecaps nearly outnumbered the rocks in the gravel. It's pretty incredible sometimes. My continuing research is aimed at finding all these areas, and making sure there are no zinc pennies in the ground to complicate things. :tongue3:

Seriously though.... There is a park near the lake that used to be a boat landing in the 17-1800's and was also one end of a rail line from the lake to the river front. It's been gone for a century and there was even an amusement park there for a long time. I have pulled a few nice finds out of it, but also found what I'm pretty sure is a chunk of old rail in the ground,(still there I'm not digging it out) and probably 10 pounds of trash and I've only covered a small part. The big problem we have here is that most of this city is built over reclaimed swamp land and it was backfilled with trash. Some places like my neighborhood that trash layer can be right under the grass..... It gets a bit frustrating sometimes but I keep at it.

Also some of this info has been quite useful to me, I now know what kind of detector to use if I ever accidentally lose a truck hood. which from the assortment of car parts that turn up in abandoned lots here I'm guessing is a real possibility......

Last edited:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...clip...Seriously though.... There is a park near the lake that used to be a boat landing in the 17-1800's and was also one end of a rail line from the lake to the river front. It's been gone for a century and there was even an amusement park there for a long time. I have pulled a few nice finds out of it, but also found what I'm pretty sure is a chunk of old rail in the ground,(still there I'm not digging it out) and probably 10 pounds of trash and I've only covered a small part. The big problem we have here is that most of this city is built over reclaimed swamp land and it was backfilled with trash. Some places like my neighborhood that trash layer can be right under the grass..... It gets a bit frustrating sometimes but I keep at it...

With all that history I would keep at it too...I would dig tons of trash, and dispose of it proper, for the tiniest of treasures!

Enjoy The Hunt, Everybody,
cc

OP
OP
N

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all that history I would keep at it too...I would dig tons of trash, and dispose of it proper, for the tiniest of treasures!

Enjoy The Hunt, Everybody,
cc
Where are you cc? Southwest?
Something like digging Tijuana perhaps. Less rocks.( I mean mineralised rocks) LOL
My detector goes thru shingles and terracotta plumbing. Lesche, not as easy.
Some say dig everything. Yea right! How many feet of chicken wire, metal guttering, siding or lenghth of plumbing would they pursue? We do keep at it. And vent a bit more.
Ray

paulm777

Sep 5, 2012
Mississippi, Gulf coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You folks from New Orleans need someone to hang around with? I'm in Gulfport. I'd like to share experiences and learn from others.

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you cc? Southwest?
Something like digging Tijuana perhaps. Less rocks.( I mean mineralised rocks) LOL
My detector goes thru shingles and terracotta plumbing. Lesche, not as easy.
Some say dig everything. Yea right! How many feet of chicken wire, metal guttering, siding or lenghth of plumbing would they pursue? We do keep at it. And vent a bit more.
Ray

I'm at a fairly remote AZ location. I'm new to detecting so I'm still in my dig everything stage. If I didn't run in all-metal I'd never even hear a peep, lol. A big score for me is a length of chicken wire over one inch long or a salvage-able nail!

cheers,
cc

OP
OP
N

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I'd dig till I smelled eggrolls.
Chicken or pork? After clearing the truck hood, the aroma could be underarm Austin-in July. LOL
Don't answer that. These guys are maxed on thread knowledge.
Thanks for most replies. So I'll travel more and go deeper.
Mt. Ida, Lake Quachita Arkansas next month. Crystal digging and Md'ing!!
Ray

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, do you have the layer of little white shells in the ground on that side of the river? Between them and all the oyster shells some spots are just infuriating to dig over here. I feel your pain with the slate shingles and terra cotta man.

OP
OP
N

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, do you have the layer of little white shells in the ground on that side of the river? Between them and all the oyster shells some spots are just infuriating to dig over here. I feel your pain with the slate shingles and terra cotta man.[/QUOTE
Oh yes. They came from 48 years of Lake P's shell dredging. They'll probably drop 3 inches every 84 years!
And the lake's comming back now. Should be very nice by spring 2068.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a little digging tip that might help. In AZ, the desert is not sand as you might think, it is small rocks surrounded by fine dusty soil. It is impossible to dig with a shovel so I use a small 3 tine rake which works great. Might help in the shell area. Frank

Attachments

• pirate.jpg
    pirate.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 114

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I dig as far as I need to to recover the artifact.

paulm777

Sep 5, 2012
Mississippi, Gulf coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm open to weekends. Working during the week till 5pm would be too late. I'm on call this weekend and am the network admin of local hospital, should stay near home this weekend. The weekend of the 13th would be great. I'm willing to drive an hour or two.. Let me know.
[email protected]

paulm777

Sep 5, 2012
Mississippi, Gulf coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds great. I'll bring the mosquito spray :) Just msg me location with time for Sat the 13th or Sun after 1 and I should be able to make it. Have okayed it with my wife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread