Noob Needs Help!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey All, Wickaboag here! :hello:
I spend most of my time in the Coin Roll Hunting section of the site, been here for a bit now.
I peek over at the Metal Detecting forum, and seeing all the old coins you all pick out has got me to use a detector!
I got a Garret 150, I know it's not much but should still be able to pick up some coins right? What I need help with is,
Where to hunt? I live in a town that formed in 1660's in Western Massachusetts, Should be plenty of old coins around here for me to dig up, but I just don't got a clue where to start! Tried my own yard, but I got nothing but trash. Parents don't want me diggin it all up, so after 2 pennies, and some old iron things... I'd like to branch out.
Any tips would be MUCH APPRECIATED!
Thank you all,
Wickaboag :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky to live in an old part of the country! Learn your machine first. Start at a kid's playground, digging in the wood chips. Then learn to dig a plug of grass correctly so that you leave it looking nice. Lots of videos on youtube. Do some research on old parks in your area. Make sure it is legal to dig. Look up your town in historicaerials.com and see where old buildings stood. Are there any old swimming holes or places that troops traveled through? Find out as much history of your area as possible. If you know anyone with property that has old foundations, get permission. Go for it! Good luck!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky to live in an old part of the country! Learn your machine first. Start at a kid's playground, digging in the wood chips. Then learn to dig a plug of grass correctly so that you leave it looking nice. Lots of videos on youtube. Do some research on old parks in your area. Make sure it is legal to dig. Look up your town in historicaerials.com and see where old buildings stood. Are there any old swimming holes or places that troops traveled through? Find out as much history of your area as possible. If you know anyone with property that has old foundations, get permission. Go for it! Good luck!
This is very good advice....& also remember spend about a 100 hours with your detector....in a few months you will be the 1 giving advice!

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
This is very good advice....& also remember spend about a 100 hours with your detector....in a few months you will be the 1 giving advice!

Kinda need advice first ;D
My family has been on this property alone since the 1850's... So hoping to find something good! A wire shop took over most of the family yard in 2000, so much if it is gone :( But there is still the property surrounding house.
Hope I get some goodies to keep me interested. The Garret 150 isn't the best, a toy airplane rang "coin" and so did an old metal object.
Wicka

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda need advice first ;D
My family has been on this property alone since the 1850's... So hoping to find something good! A wire shop took over most of the family yard in 2000, so much if it is gone :( But there is still the property surrounding house.
Hope I get some goodies to keep me interested. The Garret 150 isn't the best, a toy airplane rang "coin" and so did an old metal object.
Wicka
Keep reading everything you can on this site....You are gonna find out that even the better detectors dig junk...Its just part of the game.... 1 other thing dont let a bad day detecting ruin your hobby....everybody here has them days of not finding a single thing!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
You can still find good things with that machine so don't get discouraged. The more you use it the better you will get. It will not be able to distinguish too much between metal objects. Just dig everything. School yards are also good places to hunt as kids drop lots of coins so I would hit them too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your parents are complaining about you "digging up the yard" you're not doing it correctly or they wouldn't be able to tell you've been. Check out some videos on how to do it properly where you won't leave much, if any, evidence of your recovery. Practice on your property before you go anywhere else otherwise you may ruin the opportunity to hunt for yourself and others.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
If your parents are complaining about you "digging up the yard" you're not doing it correctly or they wouldn't be able to tell you've been. Check out some videos on how to do it properly where you won't leave much, if any, evidence of your recovery. Practice on your property before you go anywhere else otherwise you may ruin the opportunity to hunt for yourself and others.

I make a pretty good hole, but they didn't initially want me digging up the yard for the yards sake I guess. I ended up doing it anyways =P
Thanks!
Wicka

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the landowner doesn't care at all about the appearence of the grass, a hole is not the way to go. Cutting a slit in the sod is the least obtrusive way to go about it. Depending on the type of grass, a trap door might work fine too. A full plug will almost always turn brown and/or die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread