JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for my second time today.

My first try was at was apparently a deserted beach, or maybe I just didnt have my detector setup properly. Today my girlfriend and I went to a local park. I hit the swingsets, the ends of all the slides and some of the grass area. I didnt find anything spectacular, two bobby pins, a modern quarter, a few very small tin foil balls and a buncha trash. While the finds were not great, I learned a LOT about my detector and I'm sure I'll really like the hobby, I cant wait to go out again tomorrow!

Anywho, thanks for reading.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby pins? If you can't descriminate out iron, you're going to have a long day at the park or beach. The only time I want to find iron is either when I'm looking for a stainless ring or relics.

OP
OP
JT1080

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector has descrimination features but I've been diging all targets, using all metal mode, as an exercise to learn how to use it. From what I've been reading, it's good practice for a beginner. One day as I become more advanced, and comfortable in the use of my machine, I can begin to learn the extra stuff it has to offer. I hope one day to use it to find gold nuggets, which I understand is pretty hard, so I'm trying to educate myself the best I can and get as much time under my belt as possible.

OP
OP
JT1080

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I've been thinking about what you're saying, I decided to re-read about the learning curve and i'm finding conflicting info on the better way to learn. Either all-metal mode and dig all targets or using discrimination mode ans be selective on what i dig. What are the recommendations here? I'm obviously new to the hobby.

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All metal is OK for now , but what we need is more info on the type of machine you are using, coil size ect ? Sensitivity is a area you need to learn. Swing speed ? Discrimination is a must if you dont want to waste time on booby pins :) Try some old homesteads, the parks are normally riddled with junk. Spend your time in the front yards, under the areas the old clothes lines might have been, along sidewalks or out houses.When you get better hit the parks when you can discriminate better, don't get yourself discouraged in you breakin period ! LOL we do need more info then we can help on settings and things that might really help you out. BUT NOTHING TAKES THE PLACE OF TIME IN THE FIELD WITH YOUR MACHINE !

OP
OP
JT1080

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, Grizzly.

I use a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger with the stock 5"x10" DD crossfire coil. I've watched countless videos on yourtube in reguards to swing speed and the basics of detecting. I can't be for sure if I have the speed correct as I dont know anyone else into the hobby. I do feel like I learn more each time I go out, though.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply, Grizzly.

I use a Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger with the stock 5"x10" DD crossfire coil. I've watched countless videos on yourtube in reguards to swing speed and the basics of detecting. I can't be for sure if I have the speed correct as I dont know anyone else into the hobby. I do feel like I learn more each time I go out, though.

Sounds like you are doing fine. You might want to add a bit of discrimination. Enough so you can find a nickel. That way you'll mostly eliminate iron and foil. (Though foil likes to pretend, especially if it's tightly packed into a ball etc.) But you'll still be able to find most gold jewelry.

You'll find some areas are always giving. Others you'll fight to find a penny. And others that are so-so one visit, and just filled with coins and other goodies the next. Oh and I always check the area 10 ft or so in front, center, and 10 ft or so behind swing sets first. I've found multiple coin spills in and around swing sets. Don't forget to scan under the big playground structure...you'd be surprised at just how much can be hiding under them.

Don't forget the bus loading and unloading zones if you are at a school!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions