Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with Tesero. or maby TROY
I think The weight of most everything else will
be a shock to your system, after using Tesero for so long.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Cortes and love it, great machines - can't beat the weight, warranty or performance, they will find whatever you're looking for.

Attachments

• Cortes.jpg
    Cortes.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 170

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats right...

... The Tesoro will be your best bet. The Minelab will detect pretty deep, but it is a clunk to swing around and costs an arm and a leg. The DFX balances well even if its the heavyweight, and it has a ton of features. But it's not cheap, and isnt what I'd call agile or adept at the cruising style you've grown accustomed to with the Tesoro's.

Since you need ease of use, good performance and super DISC features - and you dont need to hunt to the molten core of the earth for what you want nor to swing a brick around all day - Id have to agree with the Tesoro Cortez. And they can be had for some pretty good dollars, used - with that warranty. Cant say that about the other two.

OP
OP
F

Flyboy

Greenie
Sep 13, 2006
Mcallen Tx.
Re: thanks

Thanks guys,
I was leaning toward the Cortez. I really like the Eldorado but if feel that im at a point where i would like the vid. the Cortez sounds like the machine that I should go with. I sometime feel that im maybe missing some deeper coins or over looking them thinking that some of the beeps and chirps are trash.

clint

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "beeps and chirps" are probably trash, possibly coins. This is where intimate knowledge of your hunt site comes in. Just cause we want it to be so, doesnt mean old coins are on "virgin" ground. Most things we search for are not too deep most of the time. Yes they can be but not as often as we might think.

No matter what you use, to get to the extremes of depth on those few coins that lurk deep you will have to run wide open and overlap your scans. Running wide open will induce all manner of "chirps and pops" and it falls to you to learn the deep one's from the shallow trashy ones.
At depth, the field of coverage from your detector narrows to a quarter size area. You have to overlap to do any good down there.

Again it goes back to knowing your ground. If there aint nothing there to find it wont do you any good to do all of this. The Cortez offers good performance in most ground conditions. The very BEST on ALL ground? No. To get that, you willl be back to making concessions. Get the Cortez, use it alot and enjoy life. Dont worry about what you may be missing.

If you miss something today, you'll get it next time.
Or maybe not.
Maybe someone else will get it instead.
Or maybe not
Either way, someday you'll die and leave it all behind.
No choice.
Act accordingly.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what you use, to get to the extremes of depth on those few coins that lurk deep you will have to run wide open and overlap your scans. Running wide open will induce all manner of "chirps and pops" and it falls to you to learn the deep one's from the shallow trashy ones.
At depth, the field of coverage from your detector narrows to a quarter size area. You have to overlap to do any good down there.

Dahut says it best----OVERLAPPING is the best way to increase your finds. You could turn down the sensitivity too.

As for what are your choices in detectors, I believe the Tesoro's are the ones for you since you are use to the line and all the "funny sounds" coming from the others adds confusion. LCD meters can also be missleading.

Sandman

OP
OP
F

Flyboy

Greenie
Sep 13, 2006
Mcallen Tx.
Im hooked on the metal detecting hobby, Its not really a hobby anymore, but more of an addiction. My little Eldorado Umax is a great machine and I will keep it even if I do get the Cortez. I take it everywhere with me. I live in central west Tx. and we have a few good places to detect. recently I saw a fellow detector in the local lake with a cool machine called the Excaliber 1000. If I lived closer to the salt beach I would for sure have to get one.

flyboy

S

sendin

Dahut -

Your poem is superb. Worthy of a fine marble tombstone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread